The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 15, 2013, 03:51 PM   #1
336A

Winchester BRI Slugs

The other day I was going through some of my shotgun ammo and came across 3 Winchester Supreme HI Impact 12GA 3" BRI slugs. I bought a couple boxes of these for my new rifled barrel for deer season back in 1993 when I was 17, these 3 are all that are left. I used them in my Mossberg 500 that deer season to good effect on my first deer. She was all of 45 yards away and dropped like a sack of bricks at the shot. Just finding them brought back a lot of memories, and how they ushered in the era of high tech shotgun ammo.

I no longer have the original box that they came in and was wondering if anyone remembers the velocity specs for this old ammo. I seem to recall that Winchester advertised 1500fps. I looked at the specs for the current production BRI slugs but those specs seem awfully slow for a 1OZ. slug. Does anyone here still use this slug for deer hunting? And does anyone know why Winchester lowered the velocity of this slug.
Old September 15, 2013, 07:28 PM   #2
PetahW

Not me - I gave up on firing 3" 12ga shortly after the first shot.

The 2-3/4" slugs drop a whitetail just fine, thank you.

Old September 16, 2013, 12:51 PM   #3
charlie in md

I've used the 2 3/4" version for years. I had a rifled choke tube installed on my 1100 slug barrel (it's a lefty, so they don't make a fully rifled barrel for it). All my shots have been inside 100 yards, with most inside 50. The slug mushrooms beautifully, and has been extremely effective on whitetails.
Old September 16, 2013, 04:24 PM   #4
336A

Thanks for the replies gents. I was thinking about buying a box and giving them a whirl again, but man the average price for them is right around $12 for the 2 3/4" and more for the 3". I didn't think that they would be that pricey since they are old technology, heck one can buy some Hornaddy SST's for aout the same price. It looks as though the rifled barrel is going to sit in the corner until I can find more affordable sabot ammo.
Old September 16, 2013, 06:58 PM   #5
charlie in md

I ran into a deal last year at Kmart. They were less than $8 a box, so I bought enough to last 5 years.