The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old November 21, 2012, 04:25 PM   #26
tahunua001

none, barrel break in is a myth. any rifles are manufactured that are guaranteed to be sub MOA out of the box, how many of them do you think that the company bothered taking the time to break in the barrel?
Old November 21, 2012, 06:13 PM   #27
Panfisher

Calling our shot was a fairly important step of the coaching on our rifle team way back in college. The AMU visited for a few days and they were pretty "pushy" about calling your shot. Had time to see the trigger break inyour mind again while completing the follow through, might have been part of the point too.
Old November 21, 2012, 06:39 PM   #28
coyota1

I have a book written by Glenn Newick "The Ultimate In Rifle Accuracy" that discusses the "one shot and clean" method. Five to seven times. This guy is a competitive bench rest shooter, so I have some deference for him. I don't consider 5-7 shots a waste of ammo.
Old November 21, 2012, 07:57 PM   #29
Bart B.

Metal God

Calling a shot means seeing where the sights are aimed at on the target when the round fires. If the sight's aligned two inches to the right of the desired place, the shot would be called 2 inches out at 3 o'clock. If you're using a 100 yard Smallbore rifle target with a 4 inch 9 ring and this happened, it would be called a wide 9 at 3.

If the bullet struck 1 inch below and 1 inch right of where you called the shot, adjust the sight to move impact 1 inch up and 1 inch left. So, where's the next shot gonna go relative to its call?

A good rifle shooter can call within 1/4 moa where a shot goes with a 1/4 moa rifle and ammo.
Old November 21, 2012, 08:04 PM   #30
coyota1

Quote:
Calling a shot means seeing where the sights are aimed at on the target when the round fires.
I consider this the most important aspect in shooting.
Old November 21, 2012, 08:12 PM   #31
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I hope the OP got enough info from the very few posts which responded to his question.
Closed Thread