The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 28, 2016, 12:28 AM   #1
RobBlack

SD9VE vs Used Glock 22

Hey there guys first post!
I hate to make it about asking for advise but I'm at a crossroads.
Right now I'm torn between buying a new sd9ve or a used glock 22. I would prefer 9mm but its not a deal breaker. The 22 is about $50 more but I just feel more trust in a glock over a glock knock off. I just wanted to hear some outside opinions.
Old February 28, 2016, 12:40 AM   #2
Blindstitch

Oks so SD9VE for $325 and Glock 22 for $375?

The SD is the most glock like S&W you could get aside from the trigger. I have one and like it but hate the double jointed trigger so I changed it with the apex costing $40. I've probably put 700 rounds through it without any Failure to fire or Failure to eject.

With that being said my next gun will be a glock 26 because if you want a SD glock you should get one instead of trying to make one. I also like aftermarket parts availability.
Old February 28, 2016, 12:43 AM   #3
Blindstitch

By the way if you go with the glock you can buy a 9mm conversion barrel and magazine and have a gun that can shoot two different calibers. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/468...tainless-steel
Old February 28, 2016, 01:01 AM   #4
RobBlack

I have shot a good bit of 40. My first handgun was a horrible little hi point 40. Recoil didn't bother me nuch though I would probably need to work staying on target when firing at higher rates of speed.
Old February 28, 2016, 01:54 AM   #5
drobs

I'd look for a used Glock 19.
You can also do the barrel swap on a used G23 at an added expense. I'd rather have the G19 though.

The Glock 19 / 23 is about the same size as the S&W SD9VE.
Old February 28, 2016, 03:04 AM   #6
O4L

If it's only between those two, I would have no problem going with the Smith if you prefer 9mm, as I do.
Old February 28, 2016, 08:29 AM   #7
jmr40

Wait for a G19.
Old February 28, 2016, 09:20 AM   #8
osbornk

I chose a new SD9VE because it performs flawlessly and I think it is more attractive. It is the best $289.99 I have spent and it has a lifetime warranty. People complain about the trigger but it is good for me. It is almost identical in size and weight to a Glock 19. I field stripped it beside my son-in-law's Glock 19 for comparison and they are so similar it is scary. I would choose it again.
Old February 28, 2016, 11:35 AM   #9
P71pilot

Hmm that's a tough one. I would get the glock 22

Unless you don't like the grip of the glocks. Like me

But you can always convert it to .357 sig, etc..

.40 is not much more expensive than 9mm

You can get a fully supported chamber and traditional rifled barrel and shoot all the hot loads and lead bullets you want
Old February 28, 2016, 09:39 PM   #10
Mosin44az

I would go with the Glock, even though used, especially if your gun store allows a return period as many do with used guns.

Much better trigger. And as mentioned, you can get a conversion barrel and 9mm mags. I bought a Wolf conversion barrel for around 100 and have had no malfunctions, it's been great. Odd that the G22 extractor and ejector would work with 9mm, but they do, perfectly so far.

That's on my Glock 22, bought used, by the way. I also had an SDVE 9 but got rid of it because I couldn't stand the long heavy trigger. I think Smith vandalizes the SDVEs with that trigger because otherwise the much cheaper gun would steal sales from their M & P series. I know that Apex Tactical supposedly sells kits that fix the SDVE trigger pull, but wasn't willing to go there. I also had a few malfunctions with the SDVE, oddly beginning well after the break in period. No malfs with my G22.
Old February 29, 2016, 09:28 AM   #11
Wishoot

Any way for you to rent or borrow a SD and a G22? Try before you buy.
Old February 29, 2016, 02:30 PM   #12
Brando1992

RobBlack what is the purpose of the handgun going to be?

I vote glock because later on down the road you can convert it into a 9mm with just a mag and barrel change.

If you can find police trade in glocks they usually go for a good price and you could even get a 23 if you plan to carry it.

I have a 19 and love it but I shoot the full size 9mm glock better than the 19. If it is just a range toy/home defense gun, go with the full sized glock.
Q:Are you using sarcasm? A: Is the Pope Catholic?
Old February 29, 2016, 07:52 PM   #13
racedawg

If on a budget get the sdve if not which is not more get the glock..
Old February 29, 2016, 09:53 PM   #14
Dufus

Around here you can get the SD9VE & the SD40VE for less than 300 bucks.

I bought 2 @ $269, then bought 2 more for $289 (the sale ended before I got back).

I don't like glocks, so here we are.
Old February 29, 2016, 10:09 PM   #15
Clark

17 years ago I bought a used Glock 22 40sw that was so old the radio active night sights were dim.
Most ammo is at the small end of the sloppy saami allowable range.
Most chamber are at the small end of the sloppy saami allowable range.
Because there is no overlap in the ranges, that makes that ammo fit, with one unit of sloppiness [clearance].
But the diameter of that Glock chamber was larger than what is allowable per the sloppy saami range.
That made ammo fit in that chamber with more than two units of sloppiness.
I worked up load to a case bulge with 30% more powder than max book loads. The brass had the infamous glock bulge.
Then I TIG welded up the chamber and re cut with case support all the way to the case web. I worked up to beyond max published 44 mag loads, in a smaller diameter and volume. Worst recoil in a handgun ever.

I think glock does a better job now.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 1, 2016, 05:52 AM   #16
CajunBass

I had an SD9VE, and I had a Glock 19. I really didn't see a dimes worth of practical difference between them, other than the price. They were both good guns.

I'd get the Smith & Wesson and more ammo.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 1, 2016, 05:57 AM   #17
racedawg

Yep get glockwesson that sums it up
Old March 2, 2016, 10:31 AM   #18
Omaha-BeenGlockin

I have a SD40VE and 3 G19's----there isn't much difference between them in performance and reliability.

The Glock will give you more options with holsters, sights, cheaper and higher capacity mags, etc.

The only mod I plan on making with the SD is to get an M&P steel rear sight and maybe a couple of extra mags.

It pretty much comes down to what you plan on doing with it and what feels better in your hand.

They keep on talking about adding a caliber---you could get a SD9 and SD40 for not much more than the Glock and conversion barrel---and have 2 fully functional guns--4 (total) magazines and no compromises due to the conversiob barrel.
-------Metallica
Old March 2, 2016, 10:58 AM   #19
9x45

The S&W SD is just the 2nd generation Sigma, which was so close to a Glock, you could interchange the uppers. Course after the law suit, S&W had to quit the Sigma. Everyone on the planet is making Glock knock off's now, but they are not Glocks. If this is your first, and only handgun, I would go with a 9mm Glock, and not a 40S&W. Ammo is much cheaper and the recoil event is easier for a newbie to go with. After having run over 350,000 rounds thru over 30 Glocks since the early 90's, I believe the G17 is still the best Glock. My old 2 pin G17 just turned 180,000 rounds.
Old March 2, 2016, 12:31 PM   #20
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x45
The S&W SD is just the 2nd generation Sigma, which was so close to a Glock, you could interchange the uppers. Course after the law suit, S&W had to quit the Sigma.
The SD series is the 3rd generation.

The 1st-gen pistols were the SWxF, SWxC, and SWxV (x = caliber); the F is full-size (roughly G17 size) while the C/V are compacts (roughly G19 size).

The 2nd-gen pistols were the SWxE, SWxVE, SWxGVE, and SWxP; these have improved extractors and ejectors, other internal improvements, some ergonomic changes, and a proprietary accessory rail. All are the size of the 1st-gen C/V compacts; the full-size was dropped.

The 3rd-gen pistols are the SDx and SDx VE. These have a different magazine design, an improved trigger, a standard Picatinny accessory rail, and take M&P sights; the latter is a Big Deal because the earlier Sigma front sights could not be removed non-destructively. The non-VE pistols had front night sights and matte black slide finish, and were sold alongside the SWxVE at a price point slightly below the M&P; S&W later eliminated the matte finish and night sights, added the VE suffix (with a preceding space), and replaced the SWxVE at about the same price point.

The 1st-gen pistols are the most "Glock-ish" but are NOT copies per se. I've never heard that ANY parts will interchange, much less the entire slide assembly. (You have a source for that?)

The lawsuit was settled out of court and the terms have never been made public. Published sources seem to agree that S&W made a minor design change to the sear assembly and paid Glock an unknown sum that is rumored to be in 7 figures, but anything else you've heard about the settlement is probably rumor or speculation.

The 1st-gen pistols were notorious for persistent extraction and ejection problems, and most sources agree that this was the reason for the redesign, NOT the Glock lawsuit and settlement.

Tags
advice , carry , glock , glock22 , sd9ve