The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2012, 05:32 PM   #26
CrustyFN

Quote:
Wow! Seems I must have offended you somehow.
I didn't take it that way. It sounded like Snuffy was also trying to educate you as it sounds like you are also new to reloading.
Old May 20, 2012, 08:45 PM   #27
Vance

Quote:
CrustyFN

I didn't take it that way. It sounded like Snuffy was also trying to educate you as it sounds like you are also new to reloading.
I did read Snuffy's participation in this thread. It sounded to me like he was offended.
Quote:
Snuffy said:
ColdBore, you'd better get your terminology right before giving advice! A bullet is a projectile, or what leaves the barrel and goes to the target, not a completed cartridge! Some call it a shell, or round and ammunition is a proper term.
That sounded a bit to aggressive to me and denotes offense. A better way to have said it would be "Coldbore, the correct terminology is......". "You'd better get" denotes threat. You'd better get or else.

I'm sure snuffy knows his stuff, but choice of words can change how others perceive it.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:34 PM   #28
snuffy

If coldbore got offended, it was his own fault. Notice he has not posted since 01-11, so he must have got offended right on out of here.

People that can't stand to be corrected may not be good candidates for reloading. It's a very precise hobby. It depends on specific information with correct terminology. Taking a slang approach to names for items relating to reloading can get you into trouble.

I worked in a gunshop for 6 years. One time I took a phone call from somebody wanting 270 Hornady "BULLETS". I said what grain weight, he said 130 grain, we got them come on down. He got there about 25 minutes later. Said, "I'm the one that called for the 270 bullets." I handed him a 100 count box of bullets. He said, " how is there 20 bullets in this small box?" I said there' actually 100 in there. He said, wait a minute I meant loaded BULLETS. Oh you want ammunition, or rounds, or shells. Just happened we also carried loaded Hornady ammunition, and we had what he really wanted. It would have meant a wasted trip for him, an angry customer, even though he didn't use accepted terminology.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 21, 2012, 11:38 AM   #29
Don P

Why on earth would anyone want to trim pistol brass? Before the case needs triming the case will split or the primer will fail to stay seated in the case. Boy folks looking for all that extra work fo nada
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.