The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 9, 2011, 07:03 AM   #1
2GunCorcoran

self-defense stories

Has anyone here ever killed in self-defense? How hard was it emotionally and in terms of marksmanship? How did the police treat you? What state was it in? Did you get your weapon back after they took it as evidence?
Old December 9, 2011, 09:44 AM   #2
briandg

I thank god that I've never wound up in that situation.

It's not that I care that much if I put down some thug who put me in the situation of doing something that I don't really want to do, but I know that there will almost certainly be wide ranging repercussions that are going to cause me a lot of heartache. I really find it hard to believe that I will wind up with a lot of emotional problems after doing something that had to be done.

This ain't like drowning a litter of kittens, it is a situation of survival.

Everybody should tattoo that on their trigger fingers. It's a matter of survival. Your options were limited, and you made the decision because you were forced into it. Guilt and second guessing aren't going to do anyone any good.
Old December 9, 2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Madcap_Magician

I'd be surprised if you got any answers to this question. It is akin to asking all the veterans you know how many people they killed "over there."

Wanting to know the emotional, legal, physical, and long-term psychological effects of having to defend yourself with deadly force is understandable, but few answers are usually posted to threads like this, and those that do are seldom willing to share details. Most of the people who DO post have not been in that situation and are just speculating.
Old December 9, 2011, 10:25 AM   #4
2GunCorcoran

Quote:
I'd be surprised if you got any answers to this question. It is akin to asking all the veterans you know how many people they killed "over there."
I have asked an Afghanistan and Iraq veteran I know about killing folks. He said he did it several times and felt nothing at all.

Tags
court cases , law , lethal force , police , self-defense