The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 6, 2019, 05:32 PM   #1
Kram

Reloading app or log book

Good afternoon to all

Does anybody know of any reloading apps or online log books that will allow me to store all of my records?
I have Peripheral neuropathy that makes my hand writing hard for anybody, including myself hard to read.

Thank you
Old August 6, 2019, 07:25 PM   #2
Ronic

Off the top of my head I would say Google Docs. I'm sorry I can't think of anything else that would be free and easily accessible.
Personly I would print them out and put into a folder. I must have an old soul and I need to have a physical copy in my hand as I don't trust things that I can't hold.
Old August 6, 2019, 08:03 PM   #3
Doyle

What about good old Excel? Make your own spreadsheet.
Old August 7, 2019, 06:33 AM   #4
kennyfixer

https://bisonballistics.com/download...lopment-target
Old August 7, 2019, 08:50 AM   #5
AVirginian

I use Excel and tailor it to what I need.
Old August 7, 2019, 09:40 AM   #6
rclark

I use LibreOffice's spreadsheet myself. No need for special software or even buy software. That said, at the range I do use a notebook (paper and pencil) when testing loads, but transfer to Calc at home.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old August 7, 2019, 11:08 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I use an Excel spreadsheet.

There's a freeware external ballistics program, Point Blank, that includes a module for recording your loading data. It's a good program for other features, as well, and it's FREE, so definitely worth checking out.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...tics-software/

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the program or the author. I found it when I needed a replacement for the Lee Shooter program, which Lee no longer offers because it doesn't run under Windows 10.
Old August 7, 2019, 03:58 PM   #8
Reloadron

I use Microsoft Excel but any Open Office software like Calc should also work fine as well as any of the free software programs floating around out there.

When I load new stuff I have not tried before I run the loads over a chronograph and include the velocity data and how the stuff shot in which rifle.

Ron
Old August 7, 2019, 10:28 PM   #9
lordmorgul

Reloading app or log book

I use Microsoft One Note on my phone, love having access to all the load records while shooting.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old August 8, 2019, 05:02 PM   #10
Gary Gill

I use MicroSoft Excel as well for my reloading records.
Old August 8, 2019, 05:36 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

Note that with Excel or any other Microsoft app, Windows now has speech recognition that seems to work OK, and there is aftermarket stuff for older versions that is free.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 8, 2019, 06:06 PM   #12
Road_Clam

Been using Excel for the past 7 years. Huge time saver searching for a specific load criteria. I currently have over 1000 test sessions spanning 24 different calibers / rifle combinations. Supersonic and subsonic data.

Old August 8, 2019, 07:17 PM   #13
rodfac

I use a separate Excel spread sheet for each of my guns. I keep track of # of rounds fired, as well as Bullet, Powder, Chg Wt., Case, Primer, LOA, Avg Vel, Ext Spd, and notes on performance.

It's easy to set up, and sure beats hand written notes. Years ago, when computers first came into general use, I transferred all of my notes to this format. Today, I have 58 years of reloading data that with paper files would fill to overflowing, a 3" binder or two....but here's a tip: BACK UP YOUR WORK!!!. 'Cause, sooner or later your computer is going to take a dump and you'll be left with the blue screen of death. Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; August 8, 2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old August 10, 2019, 02:09 PM   #14
Metal god

I use ireload

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old August 18, 2019, 02:40 PM   #15
hdwhit

I have multiple sclerosis (which I know is central nervous system, not peripheral) that took away my ability to write. I developed a form using Excel and Word that consisted primarily of check-the-box entries. It has worked very well for me.
Old August 20, 2019, 01:48 PM   #16
T. O'Heir

Windows comes with Word Pad and Notepad. Either one will do nicely without spending a pile of money on MS Office if you don't have it.
Whatever program you end up using, it is highly recommended that you do not store data on your hard drive. Use a CD or USB stick. Hard drives and PC's die with far greater regularity.
Old August 20, 2019, 08:29 PM   #17
rclark

It's ok to store data on your HDD or SSD. After all that's what it's there for... However always backup your data to an external hard drive(s) (or thumb drives if not much data) regularly . In my case I even store a backup off site. A lot of people miss that step (house burns to the ground/robbery etc.) .

Quote:
Either one will do nicely without spending a pile of money on MS Office if you don't have it.
You can just download LibreOffice if your text editor doesn't do the trick. Plus it is cross platform and doesn't tie you to m$ Windows. I've been Windows free for years and years now and never looked back. all my desktops/laptops/servers/SBCs run Linux.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; August 20, 2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old August 20, 2019, 09:30 PM   #18
Rimfire5

I also primarily use Excel (actually multiple spreadsheets to do variations in analysis) but one main spreadsheet for the basic data with all the load information, bullet, weight, brass, primers, each group shot, average, median, standard deviation and number of groups and temperature when shot for each load. Any type of spreadsheet will do fine, but I have used Excel since it came out and Lotus 123 before then - close to 47 years - so I am most comfortable with Excel.

Spreadsheets are a good choice because you can do lots of analysis with the basic data such as comparing results with a bullet with different powders, primers, etc. or comparing powders or primers or brass for an entire rifle.

Just keeping records isn't very helpful if you don't do comparative analysis. If you rely only on written records without the ability to do analysis you can make really inaccurate conclusions based upon just a few samples of data that catch your eye.
Old August 21, 2019, 01:20 AM   #19
DockRock

Excel for the load data, a notebook with chrony readings, pictures of targets, temps at shooting, and color commentary.