The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 11, 2009, 11:25 PM   #1
TFountain

H&K model 300 scope base repair

I am new to this forum but am hoping someone can advise me on how best to address a problem with my H&K model 300. I purchased the gun new in 1985 and approx. 1 year later the scope base which is silver soldered on broke away from the receiver. No more than 6 mos. after having it repaired through H&K's warranty dept. it came off again. Since that time it has sat in my closet. The rifle has had no more than 10 boxes of ammo shot through it. H&K tells me that they no longer do those type of repairs and I am basically on my own. Would someone care to recommend somewhere I can ship this firearm to and get this base reattached. It goes without saying that I would like to find someone who is reputable and has some expertise in this field. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Todd
Old February 19, 2009, 05:23 PM   #2
wachtelhund1

TFountain, No advice for a gunsmith but I think most gunsmith should be able to handle the silver soldering. Problem will be not messing up the finish. What do you use for scope base? I have a mint H&K 300 which I purchased just over a year ago. With what I paid for it I wish I had purchased mine in 1985. I could not find an 05 mount, so had a weaver ruger 10/22 base milled flat on the bottom and drilled to match the aligment thread holes in the bases. I used extra long screws that went through the bases into the receiver itself. Not a stock H&K 05 mount, but then it only cost $10.00 and is fast to the receiver.