The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 2, 2007, 05:54 PM   #1
lonewolf5348

reloading 45 acp ?

I been reloading for some time 40 plus years but pistol reloading it been a long time think I stop back in the 80's .
I am going to get back into it for the 1911 SA mil-spec and have a few questions? need help on.
I see a few bullets of choice I would like to use
OREGON TRAIL LASER CAST 230 GRAIN RN BB .452 DIA
BERRY'S PLATED BULLETS 230 GRAIN RN .451
RAINER BULLETS 230 GRAIN RN .451 DIA
I like to here from guys who use the above and what is the better choice,I also see.451 or 452 dia:
Powder selection
ACCURATE NUMBER 2
BULLSEYE
WINCHESTER WST
I have a few reloading books but they date back to the 70's
Old July 2, 2007, 06:18 PM   #2
Linear Thinker

I use both Berry's and Rainier, and prefer Rainier as they will drop ship for large purchases.

I won't use lead bullets such as Oregon, due to high blood lead level. I shoot mainly indoors, and run matches - so my blood test 3 years ago had 22 ppb of lead, way too much.
Down to 13 ppb this year.

Bullseye used to be my favorite 45 powder, but I got tired of cleaning the soot and switched to Win231 - much cleaner.
Tried Accurate #2 as well, very economical to shoot, but it usually left some unburned powder particles in the bore and the case.
Good luck!
LT
Old July 2, 2007, 06:26 PM   #3
rwilson452

As a general rule you use .451 in a jacketed bullet and .452 with lead bullets. plated can go either way. My personal favorite bullet for target work is the Bear Creek Supply 200gr SWC. Its a moly coated bullet. They use a propriatary powdercoat process to coat the bullet. you get no leading. I don't worry about getting all the moly out of the barrel. The moly doesn't seem to build up but does leave a thin film on the barrel. It seems to protect and lube the barrel. In light to moderate loads the bullet does pins and plates with authority. Some pistols don't do well with SWC bullet the Springer mil spec doesn't have this reputation. Most lead contamination is from the primer not the bullet. as the Bear Creek bullet is totally coated bullet lead is a non issue. Ill second the W231 emotion.
Old July 3, 2007, 02:27 AM   #4
red-rider

Lonewolf, you need to update your load manuals too, the "one book, one caliber" manual has info from several others combined into a spiral-bound book and should cost less than 10 bucks. I shoot the ranier and the oregon trails bullets (among others), my favorite powders are w231 and titegroup. Good luck!
Old July 3, 2007, 04:42 AM   #5
314EPW

winchester 231

+1
I get good accurate loads.Some say it's a dirty powder,but to me it's clean
Ed
Old July 3, 2007, 07:23 AM   #6
Tanzer

I use excel plated 230gr RN because I can get them cheap here. I seat them to 1.270 OAL with .50 gr of Win 231. Anything less and the gun doesn't always cycle. A little less stout than the Fedral Hydrashock HP's - just barely noticeable

Last edited by Tanzer; July 4, 2007 at 10:01 PM. Reason: decimal
Old July 3, 2007, 11:38 AM   #7
SLOMountaineer

Speaking of .45 acp loading.

I have three different manuals. Speer, Hodgdon, Hornady. All three give widely varying specs. One gives 4.8-5.2 and another gives 5.0-5.7 for the same bullet and powder. What gives?
Old July 3, 2007, 02:03 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Individual gun, brass, and chamber sizes. Different powder lots. Etc. All loads have to be worked up toward manual maximums. The rule of thumb is to look up a prospective load in three manuals, and start with the lowest of the three starting load recommendations.

If I were starting out today, I wouldn't use any of the mentioned powders. I've shot them all at one time or another, and Bullseye, maybe 100,000 rounds worth. The newer Hodgdon flattened ball flake powders in their Clays series have no graphite coating to blow around, and wind up leaving the gun much cleaner. Universal Clays is near Unique in burning rate, though it has higher energy density, and at about 5.2 grains makes an excellent alternative to the old 5.0 grain Bullseye load for mimicking military ballistics with 230 grain hardball. For lighter target loads where Bullseye leaves a lot of empty room, you might consider IMR Trail Boss, which is also much cleaner. It is so bulky a full case is still below a maximum load. That makes it easier to spot an accidental double-charge. I fired it in some new cases recently, and the lack of blackening inside the case was surprising as compared with either Bullseye or Power Pistol, both of which I was trying that day.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 3, 2007, 02:10 PM   #9
SLOMountaineer

That is what I end up doing Nick. I would rather work off the lower load just to be safe.

Ditto on the Clays. Best powder I have used for handguns of all types.