The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 27, 2013, 07:11 AM   #1
CarJunkieLS1

Last minute tips for a hunting Newb.

This Friday I hope to be deer hunting for the first time. I've gotten a lot of tips and advice from this forum, but is there any last minute tips or equipment I need to carry so I'll be as prepared as I can be. I will not be hunting alone I will have an experienced hunter with me.

I've got my rifle and ammo ready to go.I've got the clothing covered too. If I was to kill a deer what will I need to field dress it. And any other items that will be helpful. Thank you all for the help.
Old November 27, 2013, 08:07 AM   #2
TimSr

You don't want to lug around unnecessary stuff! A knife that can cut through skin, a kitchen size plastic bag if you save heart and liver, and Wet Naps of Diaper Wipes are nice for clean up since water doesnt cut deer goo from your hands nearly as well. You also need a small camera with a self timer for before you gut it. You can split the pelvis after you get it back to camp to help keep it clean while dragging. Otherwise you need a pretty large knife or saw to do it in the field.

I also carry water, and snacks, and sometimes a coffee thermos in my day pack. Commercially wrapped trail mix and other snacks are usually very noisy so I rebag them in ziplocks.

I also carry a drag rope, and a roll of blaze orange duct tape.
Old November 27, 2013, 08:28 AM   #3
CarJunkieLS1

Wet Wipes sounds like a good idea and also a rope. What do you mean by split the pelvis? I understand gutting it and all plus I won't be keeping the heart or liver.

As far as snacks and stuff does the smell of the food not spook deer as some snack foods can have a fairly distinct smell? And what do I do if I have to relieve myself...#1 only though lol
Old November 27, 2013, 09:38 AM   #4
shortwave

Quote:
What do you mean by split the pelvis
This vid. will show you the pelvis bone. Would also suggest watching more vids before your trip.

While there's more ways then one to skin/gut a deer and you will get many different methods that will work. I usually don't cut the pelvis till I get back to camp. I gut as far down to pelvis bone as I can, find intestine and pull it towards head. Then take a small piece of twine and tie intestine off as close to pelvis bone as possible. I then cut intestine just above twine. Back at camp/house I use a hacksaw and cut through pelvis bone on each side leaving an open gulley like. Find tied intestine and pull down towards anus. With a knife other then the ones I use for processing, I cut around anus and finish removing intestines.
The experienced hunter you will be with will have his way of doing things.

Quote:
And any other items that will be helpful
1) small flashlight and I like to carry a 'minors cap' style light as well in case I'm field dressing after dark...frees up hands.

2) a pen for filling out tag( if that's required where your hunting)

3) watch(or way to tell time) as ' time of harvest' is sometimes on tag.

4) twine or zip tie for attaching tag to deer

5) TOILET PAPER(should have been #1 on the list)
WARNING:You don't plan on having to go out in the woods but you don't want to get caught with your pants down. Been there done that and cutting up your tshirt to use is inconvenient.
Too, if you shoot a deer and have to track it, you can tear small pieces of TP and mark the blood trail. Makes tracking much easier.

6) rain gear

7) I like using latex surgical gloves when field dressing. Makes cleanup a bit easier.

8) Always nice to have a small set of bino's but not mandatory.

9) also good to have some aspirin, Tylenol etc along. Never know when that blasting headache will pop up.

10) fanny pack for above mentioned items.

[QUOTE And what do I do if I have to relieve myself][/QUOTE]

Let er fly.
Old November 27, 2013, 10:01 AM   #5
Wyosmith

A large Swiss Army Knife with a SAW is your friend.
Old November 27, 2013, 12:51 PM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
any last minute tips or equipment I need to carry so I'll be as prepared as I can be. I will not be hunting alone I will have an experienced hunter with me.
No mention of the type of hunting you'll be doing? (stand or still hunting/walking)'

In either case less is best. Remember your the only'est one having to carry all that stuff around all day. On this occasion the word K.I.S.S applies.

Carry a few bullets. 7-8 at most. No need to carry a box full. {You don't want to sound like a street peddler selling glass wear while afield.}

Shooting: Your first shot has to be your best shot. All the others are usually just noise makers.

Tip: Control your nervousness. Concentrate on your site picture i.e quarry. {a quick look at whats beyond the animal is a good habit to remember to do if you have the time too.
Take a deep breath and hold it {if a scope is used make darn sure those cross hairs are level looking before triggering.

With a experienced hunter along. Do as your told. No questions. No debate's. Just do it!! {You can ask question/s later after the hunt.}

Field dressing. A cell is handy. Or an understanding before hand if you shoot he's to come give you a hand (at his convenience>Please)

The only other items I would suggest having along. A pair of cut resistance gloves. Reason for: Having to reach up blindly under a rib cage grabbing a hold of the windpipe /esophagus with one hand and cutting it with the other in close quarters with a sharpened knife >worries many who try & do including me to this day. A few sheets of dry paper toweling comes in handy to wipe up with as best you can. {you got lots of time later on to clean up after the hunt} Wet one's and other products along those lines stink up the woods. Using of can actually change a animals route/ing. Best to leave them at home

Out side of having a knife, a short length of rope, a compass, and a small flashlight, cutting gloves, paper toweling. And a tasty treat for you. A few pieces hard candy like (anise or butter scotch maybe a hidden piece of cinnamon found are the is best to have along) Deer don't mind the smell of anise. Jerky sandwiches coffee and foods of that nature including tobacco products do cause awareness. {well maybe a little pinch of regular Copenhagen doesn't hurt so long as you don't spit allot.} Remember your not going camping just a simple day of hunting is all.

Tip: If I were to offer you one. And only one suggestion. It would be. "Watch that gun barrel and where its pointed at all times." Its a scary thing for some other to take notice of a loaded (or not) weapon pointed at the back of their legs or those family jewels. Use your common sense and just be careful. You'll do fine.
Old November 27, 2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Rmart30

cough drops... never knew i coughed so much until i started deer hunting.

I carry a gallon size ziploc freezer bag with snacks, toilet paper , micro LED hat light that clips on bill, and a couple of spare quart size ziploc bags as well in it. I keep the quart bags in case a rain comes up for my cellphone and keyless entry fob to keep dry, and also my ammo.
And they also make good "pee bottles". They dont leak and are much easier than a bottle to ring when its below freezing and your hands are shaking.
Old November 27, 2013, 02:11 PM   #8
CarJunkieLS1

Thanks that's a lot of good info. I'll be in a shooting house with the experienced hunter with me. Looks like wet wipes, latex gloves, zip lock bags, a pen, flashlight, etc.

I didn't mention it but I probably should have I'm no stranger to safely handling firearms I've shot weapons a hunted small game when I was a teenager I'm 28 now I've just never deer hunted and I want to be as prepared as possible so I'm not such a "chore" to take hunting. If that makes sense
Old November 27, 2013, 03:20 PM   #9
shortwave

One more word of caution to give ya.

When ya get to your downed deer, before you started gutting, look the body over for other wounds. And when you unzip that hide always be on the lookout for an arrow broad head that may be inside the cavity from a prior hunters shot before you go to grabbing. Everything will be bloody but it's a very good idea to stay alert and look before grabbing. Nothing will ruin your day faster than running a broad head in your hand.
Old November 27, 2013, 04:35 PM   #10
Panfisher

I'll add a thing or two and re-inforce at least one suggestion already given.

If you get bored easily, something quiet to occupy you, I like a paper back book, not a great one because you can get into it too deeply to remember to look around, preferably one you have read before. My son and wife have taken their Kindles with them (sound off) to read or play games.

The SHOT. Like SureShotMcgee said that first trigger squeeze is likely to be the only one you get, take your time, and concentrate on simply putting the bullet right THERE not just in the deer, follow through if you make the shot count you will have plenty of time to look at the deer on the ground.

Sharp knife is a must whether hunting or not, and since you have a guide/helper/experienced friend along, pay attention do what they tell you and learn. and Smile big for the inevitable hero shots afterwards.
Old November 27, 2013, 04:47 PM   #11
fdf

"Thanks that's a lot of good info. I'll be in a shooting house with the experienced hunter with me"

Why not ask the experienced hunter your are going with, what you really need to bring?.
Old November 27, 2013, 07:49 PM   #12
Chad.C

Everyone covered everything except remember your ammo... it's easier said then done
Old November 27, 2013, 07:54 PM   #13
GunGod84

If you're taking an experienced hunter out with you, I think you got it covered. Ask for his expertise.

You'll want a good, sharp, clean knife for field dressing the deer. Some gallon size plastic bags are good too if you would like to save the heart and liver.

Make sure you have plenty of water and field worthy snacks like trail mixes and jerky.

Other than that you should be set.
Old November 28, 2013, 07:08 AM   #14
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Otherwise you need a pretty large knife or saw to do it in the field.
Actually, a multi tool with a saw blade will make short work of the pelvic bone.

I carry a Leatherman and it zips right through it.
Old November 28, 2013, 02:21 PM   #15
shafter

Quote:
You don't want to lug around unnecessary stuff!
^^This a thousand times over. It used to be me though, each year I shed tools and gadgets and now I'm down to gun, knife, compass, small flashlight, and lighter. If I'm feeling lazy I'll bring a paperback along. Keeps me from getting figety.
Old November 28, 2013, 08:23 PM   #16
fdf

^^This a thousand times over. It used to be me though, each year I shed tools and gadgets and now I'm down to gun, knife, compass, small flashlight, and lighter. If I'm feeling lazy I'll bring a paperback along. Keeps me from getting figety.

Yep, jettison what is not needed, I don't carry a compass, I can find my blind and my truck.
Old December 1, 2013, 11:31 AM   #17
1-UP

Just got my first deer kill last night after my 2nd year of hunting (Got skunked the first year, but wasting disease pretty much wiped out the local population so I don't feel too terrible). Here's what I would recommend.

First, understand that deer do what they want. I know that's not an equipment thing, but seriously, they're pretty unpredictable. Here's why it's relevant.

Opening day a nice doe came by, about 80-100 yards out. It's a long shot for me (Shotgun with irons), but I had a nice broadside shot and I took it. I missed completely. With that first shot, the doe whipped around and sprinted back the way she came across a field. I took another shot on the run (In hindsight I probably shouldn't have) and missed again completely. Normally I'm a decent shot, but all of my previous experience had been shooting at paper. Once the deer was in my sights my heart was just a yammering and I couldn't keep that shotgun steady to save my life.

Anyway, back to the point. Couple of days later a couple of yearlings came out. 30 yards away tops, broadside shot. They were little guys and the property owner asked me to only take bigger ones because the locals wanted the population to recover. Because they sat their feeding for 20 minutes (again, beautiful broadside) I texted the owner what he thought (He was in binoc distance). Well, instead of texting me he calls and my cell phone blows up (although I swear on all that is holy I muted it). Dang deer didn't even look in my direction. Ended up letting those go.

Last night was the end of gun season and pretty much my last chance. I'm sitting in the blind reading when I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. Two nice does trotting across the field from behind me. I whip up the shotgun and, again, miss completely. I'm not even sure I remembered to aim. Anyway, both does literally froze, giving me a nice second shot. This time I calmed down and took the shot, dropping on of them where it stood (Ok, so I still shot high DESPITE aiming, hit the spine - sigh). The other doe just stood there. It continued to stand there when I stood up and started walking to my kill (Keep in mind this was maybe 30-40 yards tops). THEN it decided to move on, but it kind of trotted 15 yards away and then stood still again. Sure wish I had a 2nd tag.

Here's what I got from that.

1) Load up the full mag. Sure, the first shot is probably the best, but if I didn't have the extra rounds available I would have missed out on my kill.

2) Bring something to do. I found reading a book would keep me out there an extra hour or two and anything that I would miss between reading pages I wasn't going to be able to hit anyway. Just remember to keep glancing up.

3) I'd probably put hearing protection on ahead of time and just leave it on. I've got electronic muffs but the battery started go by the end of the night so I had one ear covered and one half-covered. Never crossed my mind to drop the headset down over my other ear and I might not have had time to anyway given the deer were at a trot.

4) However much clothing you think is enough, throw on an extra layer. I was out one weekend when it was about 2 degrees and brought a wool blanket with me - worked great to keep me warm although I'll admit it was cumbersome.

5) Cleaning the deer is a hot mess. Bring TWO knives because you'll probably find one gets dull, especially if you're trying to get through bone. I would also bring a pair of rubber dish gloves. It's not that it's gross, it's that it sticks to your hands like nobody's business and water doesn't do a great job cleaning it. Plastic bags to throw the soiled stuff into is probably smart too.

6) A tarp so you don't soil you vehicle works great.

7) I liked having a pair of binoculars, but they're more for amusement than anything practical. Anything I needed to look through them to identify I wasn't going to hit anyway.

8) A flashlight for when you're cleaning your deer after sunset because you're like me and have no idea what you're doing.

9) I'd throw in a compass if you're going into the boonies. I was in a farmer's field so I never needed it.
Old December 1, 2013, 11:38 AM   #18
ChasingWhitetail91

Not sure if theres snow where your at, but if your dragging it yourself in the snow a cheap plastic sled wouldn't be a terrible idea.