The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 4, 2012, 10:31 AM   #26
loose_holster_dan

this

$300 w/ 2mags, upgrades, and holsters
the two pocket holsters usually go for around $25 each, and the kydex iwb holster goes for $75 all by itself. the trigger makes it worth having. i wouldn't recommend a pf9 without the northwoods trigger.

"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old November 4, 2012, 10:36 AM   #27
engineer88

Adrian, I live in Northern Florida myself and chose the LC9 for "big pockets" carry. I have a P32 and a micro desert eagle 380 (picked this one because it is about the shortest little sucker out there slide length wise) for small pocket days.

Not sure if you would have the same issues I did with the LC9. Mine was a rust magnet as far as the slide, especially where they stamped the lettering, which seemed to have been done after bluing it. This was easily remedied by sending it and the magazine to Bill DeShivs. He did a stellar nickel job for just $55. I cannot speak highly enough of his work. That was the only detractor to the pistol besides the mag disconnect (YouTube helped me take care of that myself).

Since then I have ordered spare springs and other parts for it and some fire sights (fiber optics) off the ruger site. Once installed, I think it will be perfect. I chose the LC9 for the manual safety (S&W Shield didn't exist when I got it) and the longish DAO trigger believe it or not, for when I am traveling with my family, it is just a tad more safe (in my mind) if the pistol is out of my control for a brief period (it never is, I am just being anal), plus it has the key lock.

I almost bought a CM9 when I got it and when you look at the price after I have put everything into it:

Gun itself - $329
Nickel Job - $55
Fire Sights - $49
Total - $433+

So I know what you are thinking, why not go that way and just get a CM9. There are things I really don't like about the CM9:

- The recoil spring has to be turned just so, so it won't slip out when reassembling (not fully captive and it is open on the end? kinda weird). This is a nitpicky thing, but honestly was a factor for me.
- I prefer 3 dot sights + the LC9's are easily drifted and or changed, even the front.
- LC9's have been out longer and seem to have the bugs worked out (this is subjective based on what I read on forums).
- Again I wanted a manual safety ( I usually don't but in this application) and it being on a DAO trigger means I don't have to use it (which I won't most of the time).
- 7+1, having the extra round in the handgun plus one extra round in my backup mag is nice.

That about sums it up. The Kahr is nice, especially for the price but if I were doing it today, I might go for the shield (if I could find one) since it is already rust-proofed (that is important in FL) and seem to be pretty reliable straight off. Although for pocket carry, the LC9 seems a smidge smaller and lighter.

For the record, my LC9 has 140 flawless rounds through it of the following (yeah I know, I need to get to the range more):

50 rounds of Remington FMJ
50 rounds of Winchester FMJ
20 Rounds of Speer Gold Dot JHP
20 Rounds of Hornady Critical Defense JHP ( I intend to test the Crit Duty I carry in my G19 in it next range trip)

So only 140 flawless rounds through it across three different shooters (one of which is a 4'11", 93lbs. woman) but I find that to be pretty acceptable. I will be keeping the round count fairly low on this one as it will be mostly for carry.

So there ya go, that was my choice and my experience. I am very happy with my LC9 and it has ran very well. Yes the trigger isn't a dream, but I own and shoot 5x as much revolvers (in double action mostly) than I do 1911's so bear that in mind when I say the trigger is not bad at all.

Good luck with your search. At least there are finally some sub $1,000.00 options out there now.

P.S. For the record I have a S&W 638 and other J/K/L frames and the airweights are great for pocket carry if they are long enough. My current carpenter jeans have short pockets and when you stand to the side of me you can look down in my flared out pocket and see the ivory grips separated by the aluminum grip frame and if you are at all a gun person you totally know what that is.

Here is my LC9:

Just a crappy cell phone pic, believe me it looks better in person.

Last edited by engineer88; November 4, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old November 4, 2012, 11:01 AM   #28
nate45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal
Toss in a means to make fire

How about a mini Bic and a Zippo?

The stuff in that pic really isn't that hard to carry with sturdy pants and belt. It doesn't go that well with dressier attire, but one can still conceal the PM9.

It really is easier to carry an LCP, or a P3AT though, size matters when it comes to concealment. I feel more comfortable carrying a PM9, or a j-frame size .38 Special though, so most times I do. Between ankle holsters, belly bands, IWB, etc there is probably a way for most people to conceal their favorite pistol, even if its service size, like a 1911, or Glock 19.
Old November 4, 2012, 11:38 AM   #29
Brit

Well I have to say, great posts to answer your original question.

I would like to put a little different slant on carrying in hot places, as in my home town, Orlando FL.

The two most important factors to a concealed fire arm.

1/ It must go bang, every time you press the trigger.

2/ A fairly quick presentation (when you need it, you need it NOW!)

My solution, a Glock 19, used in CCW/IDPA/G lic. Security carry, same pistol.

It has never malfunctioned, or failed to fire, both hands, one hand, left or right.
So, dress armed, the tight white under Armour tee shirt, and a Florida shirt over it, belt holster, and spare magazine on the left, even a surefire flash light.

At 77 years of age, 200lbs, I am totally comfortable, not wanting to be a victim, the points I have raised are important to me.

In your case, take your pick. And go in safety.
Old November 4, 2012, 05:59 PM   #30
Dashunde

Quote:
LC9's have been out longer and seem to have the bugs worked out
Thats a real nice LC9, but its a much younger design than the proven 10+ year old P & PM series that the CW & CM's are derived from.
The "C" models are identical inside and use the exact same slides and frames as the P models, the difference is the C's have less machining in the slides and use a ordinary rifled barrel, MIM slide stop, and come with one magazine.

The CW and CM's are a excellent value... anyone seeking this size and type of pistol really should shoot one before buying anything.
The smooth trigger and mild recoil for their size has to be felt to be believed.
Old November 4, 2012, 07:14 PM   #31
stevej

Know nothing at all about this gun but

was at my LGS looking for a 9mm and they had one of these for less than $400. http://www.charterfirearms.com/produ...bull_79920.asp Not too many 9mm revolvers out there as far as I know. He also had a used SR9c for $360 that looked new with all the stuff you get with a new gun, test fired Aug 2011. So it came home with me, great trigger. Again know nothing about the 9mm revolver. I never wear shorts so can cover the SR9c.
Old November 4, 2012, 11:49 PM   #32
warningshot

Pocket carry works for me. My concearns were reduced after I increased the size of my pocket.
Old November 5, 2012, 12:50 AM   #33
Bronco4me

PM9 is my EDC pocket choice.
Old November 5, 2012, 07:01 AM   #34
UpstateGlocker

PM9 now comes with an optional external safety and is just slightly smaller than the LC9 which is slightly smaller than the Shield. I've got the PM9 because its the smallest 9mm with an external safety which I want since I carry with one in the chamber and it just gives me the added sense of security.

Having said that, there is no question even the PM9 (or the other mini-9s) is significantly bigger and heavier than the LCP, Bodyguard or other .380s. You just have to make the decision whether the bump to 9mm power is absolutely necessary for your needs to trade off to the larger and heavier size.
Old November 7, 2012, 10:13 PM   #35
weblance

If you truly want a pocket 9mm, this is the one... its only a 5 shot, but it never jams, isnt ammo sensitive, draws from the pocket with ease, and is relatively inexpensive. Its available in stainless also, and stainless might be better, since you are in Florida, and corrosion may be a concern. Its a Taurus 905, and there is a Crimson Trace Laser Grip available for it. If you really want an easy to carry pocket 9mm, this is the best. I have 2 Ruger LC9s, and they are just on the edge of being "pocketable". The LC9 is much larger than the Taurus 905, and the shape of the LC9 makes it a little hard to draw from the pocket. Here is a short review I wrote about it... I now have over 600 rounds thru the 905, and its been perfect. It might not be what you are looking for, but its another option for a "pocket 9mm"

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=678182

Old November 8, 2012, 05:34 AM   #36
kcub

Consider the Ruger SP101, a very controllable stainless steel pocket .357.
You will need a good pocket holster, I only carry and recommend the best: a Kramer horsehide.

With a speedloader and Seecamp .32 in the offside back pocket I have 16 rounds to get me back home all within my pants pockets.
Old November 8, 2012, 08:20 AM   #37
mySig229

Taurus Slim 9mm with laser guard

Old November 8, 2012, 12:11 PM   #38
hounddawg

Bear Creek Holsters make IWB, OWB, front pocket and rear pocket holsters. I live in S Carolina so we have a bit of a summer also. I started with a IWB of another brand but now use a back pocket from these guys for my Walther PPS

Bear Creek Holsters
Old November 8, 2012, 01:18 PM   #39
AdrianVall

Well guys.. I know I said I wanted 9mm, but I think I've settled on getting a .380.

I'll be buying two I think at the local gun show this weekend.

I'm getting a Sig P238 for me and a Taurus TCP in pink for my lady. I think I will be very pleased with both guns.

As for the P238, I can't decide if I want the equinox version or the zombie version! I'm a bit of a nerd and like zombie stuff like that.. lol
Old November 8, 2012, 02:12 PM   #40
mySig229

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianVall View Post
Well guys.. I know I said I wanted 9mm, but I think I've settled on getting a .380.

I'll be buying two I think at the local gun show this weekend.

I'm getting a Sig P238 for me and a Taurus TCP in pink for my lady. I think I will be very pleased with both guns.

As for the P238, I can't decide if I want the equinox version or the zombie version! I'm a bit of a nerd and like zombie stuff like that.. lol
There's indecision?

Zombies!
Old November 8, 2012, 05:45 PM   #41
AdrianVall

LMAO! I think you just helped me make my decision!
Old November 8, 2012, 09:07 PM   #42
ShipWreck

I have pocket carried my Shield 9mm daily since the end of May. Sold my Kahr Pm9 the first week I had it...

Old November 14, 2012, 11:02 PM   #43
whitearrow

well fellas unless i read all the previous threads too fast. it appears that i'm the only kel-tec p11 man. it fits pretty well in a desantis pocket holster. i mainly carry it in the summer months in my cargo shorts when i'm out and about on my property or riding my 2 little boys on the atv. you just never know who or what you will ride up on these days. i haven't shot the p11 alot but when i do i havent had any failures. my only complaints are a VERY heavy trigger pull and it shoots a little high for me. both could probably be corrected with a little time and money.
Old November 15, 2012, 08:31 AM   #44
Skans

I really find it hard to beat the Ruger LC9 - that's what I carry in my front pocket. Interesting that one of the previous posters experienced rust on the slide - mine has been handled a lot and kept in my glove box on occasion. No sign of rust or finish wear at all. I have about 300 rounds through it - all flawlessly.

I also like the Diamondback DB9. I haven't fired one, just examined one stripped, and it appeared to be a nicely made pistol. I have heard some have had issues with it, so I'm still on the fence about buying one. At one time I considered trading in my LC9 for the DB9, but it's looking like the LC9 is turning out to be a real workhorse of a gun....not too sure about the DB9.
Old November 15, 2012, 10:00 PM   #45
whitearrow

Alrite fellas its been a while since ihave shot my p11. I stepped out the door this afternoon a popped off 30 or so rounds again w/o a hitch. Allthis to say that I have an addendum to my previous post. Mine shoots about 6" low unless I really get down onthe front sight where previously I said that it shot high. Anywho just clearing that up.
whitearrow
Old November 15, 2012, 10:50 PM   #46
45YearsShooting

I very much like the Ruger LC9 and I think it is a great choice for you. Buy it, shoot it a bunch and make sure it is reliable for you. Get a pocket holster for it and it is as good a choice for pocket carry as any. I think it is the minimum size for a primary carry gun. I also have a Kel-Tec P11 that holds more rounds and is slightly lighter, but it is thicker than the LC9. The thinness of the LC9, plus the smoother trigger makes me like the Ruger more than the Kel-Tec. Both are just as controllable to shoot.