The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 4, 2012, 07:38 PM   #1
dayman

Guns at school

I have a friend - and it's seriously not me - who was under the impression that if he had permission from the principal (a mutual friend), he could carry a gun when he visits the local elementary school for deliveries. Is this true, or is he just setting himself up to be in a lot of trouble should some upset PTA member report him?
I was under the impression that guns not being allowed in schools was a bit more than a school/district policy. He was pretty convinced, and I didn't want to get into an argument with him if I'm wrong, but I also don't want to seem him suffer the blow back if I'm not.
Old April 4, 2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Hansam

Now why would he need a gun at a school? Its not like there are any shootings at schools!

Now seriously though as far as I know most if not all states have a mandate against firearms at schools unless they're unloaded and in a locked case in a non passenger compartment (like the trunk of you car) or unless you're an active (albeit not necessarily on duty) LEO. In fact I think it may even be a Federal mandate.

I'd not chance it with this issue even if the principal of the school gives me permission - its not about his permission its about the letter of the law.
Old April 4, 2012, 08:50 PM   #3
carguychris

Quote:
I was under the impression that guns not being allowed in schools was a bit more than a school/district policy.
This is a matter of state law and I'm unfamiliar with the laws in ME. There's sometimes a way to get permission, but who grants that permission and what form it takes varies.

However, if I sought legal permission to do this as authorized under state law, I would insist on a letter that would be carried with me whenever I had the gun on school property. Remind your friend that the police don't play nice when they hear the words "gunman at school"; this isn't merely "upset PTA board" territory or even "brought up on felony charges" territory, this is potentially "shot dead by police officers with AR-15s" territory.
Old April 4, 2012, 09:08 PM   #4
egor20

Quote:
I have a friend - and it's seriously not me - who was under the impression that if he had permission from the principal (a mutual friend), he could carry a gun when he visits the local elementary school for deliveries. Is this true, or is he just setting himself up to be in a lot of trouble should some upset PTA member report him?
Here's the rules, and your buddy looking at a whole lot of trouble.

Title 20-A: EDUCATION
Part 3: ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY EDUCATION
Chapter 223: HEALTH, NUTRITION AND SAFETY
Subchapter 6: SAFETY

§6552. Firearms
1. Prohibition. A person may not possess a firearm on public school property or the property of an approved private school or discharge a firearm within 500 feet of public school property or the property of an approved private school.
[ 2009, c. 614, §2 (AMD) .]

2. Exceptions. The provisions under subsection 1 do not apply to the following.
A. The prohibition on the possession and discharge of a firearm does not apply to law enforcement officials. [2009, c. 614, §3 (RPR).]

B. The prohibition on the possession of a firearm does not apply to the following persons, if the possession is authorized by a written policy adopted by the school board:
(1) A person who possesses an unloaded firearm for use in a supervised educational program approved and authorized by the school board and for which the school board has adopted appropriate safeguards to ensure student safety; and

(2) A person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is stored inside a locked vehicle in a closed container, a zipped case or a locked firearms rack while the person is attending a hunter's breakfast or similar event that:

(a) Is held during an open firearm season established under Title 12, Part 13 for any species of wild bird or wild animal;

(b) Takes place outside of regular school hours; and

(c) Is authorized by the school board. [2009, c. 614, §3 (RPR).]

C. The prohibition on possession and discharge of a firearm does not apply to a person possessing a firearm at a school-operated gun range or a person discharging a firearm as part of a school-sanctioned program at a school-operated gun range if the gun range and the program are authorized by a written policy adopted by the school's governing body. [2009, c. 614, §3 (NEW).]
[ 2009, c. 614, §3 (RPR) .]

3. Penalty. A person who violates this section is guilty of a Class E crime.
[ 1981, c. 693, §§ 5, 8 (NEW) .]

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legi...-Asec6552.html

Print out a copy and give it to him.

Here's a good listing of the rules for carry in Maine also.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maine.pdf

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old April 5, 2012, 04:35 AM   #5
dayman

That's what I thought,
Thanks all.