The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 8, 2010, 12:50 AM   #26
riggins_83

I've never purchase a semi auto, over under, side by side or break action shotgun. I will probably purchase a Mossberg 930 at some point. For the time being my trusty 500 Persuader and 500 Bird and Field pump shotguns serve me fine.
Old December 8, 2010, 10:16 AM   #27
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I received my first 870 in 1959 for Christmas, a used one Pop had bought some time prior. Barrel code(WW) works out to November, 1950. Haven't worn it out yet, just slicked it up some with maybe 20K shells.

There's four more 870s here at the moment. My total rounds count from 870s, both mine and agency weapons, has to be over 50K rounds and may be twice that.

I've had one short stroke, two firing pin springs break, and a few truckloads of game in the freezer.

Short stroking is a software problem.

As for speed, I found out long ago that I could get off an effective second shot faster with my 870 than a good friend could with his A5.

A few thoughts on pumpguns.......

First, an 870, they tell me, will develop some stress cracks around the 250K mark. Most semis will not come close to that, even with some major parts replacement. Some other makes of pumpguns also get prizes for longevity. A friend's venerable Model 12 has 230K rounds through it and he got it used. Some parts and smithing have been needed, but still......

No current auto I know of will cycle everything from 3/4 oz training loads to 2 oz turkey whackers. Some work best with heavy loads, like the excellent SBE II, but not so well with creampuffs.

Good autos start around $600 new for the 3901, though one can find well used 1100s for maybe $400 or so. Less than $300 will get you a new Express or a used Wingmaster and leave you lots of money for ammo.

As for defense, while the 3 gun types have gone to Saigas and Benellis, the folks who go in harm's way are usually armed with pumps. Reliability, durability, simple MOA for things like slug selection, wider ammo spectrum, ad infinitum.

No shotgun is capable of doing all things equally well, but pumps have versatility up the wazoo. One parts built 870 here has taken most species of legal game here, has surprised a few folks on the clays courses, groups slugs into 2.5" at 50 yards, and now stands loaded with buck in case something bad may happen. It's known as Frankenstein, has introduced maybe 20 people to shotgunning, looks like a junkyard mutt and works very,very well.
Old December 8, 2010, 11:22 AM   #28
70extreme

Since this has become a pump vs. semi auto thread. The key issue concerning choosing a pump vs. a semiauto for home defense is which problem is more likely to occur:

The semi auto malfunctioning or a trained user under stress short stroking the pump?
Old December 8, 2010, 11:32 AM   #29
jmortimer

The Winchester SX3 or Browning Maxus will outlast an 870 - don't know about other semi-autos but Patrick Flanigan the fastest shooter with the fastest shotgun (SX3) will get 300,000 rounds plus out of his guns and he at times will clean them every 2,000 to 3,000 rounds or so. There is no chance anyone who practices will not shoot much faster with a semi-auto. Just compare Flanigan's records with his SX3 and his SXP (1300) - well there is no comparison. His web site has all the info http://www.patrickflanigan.com/
The FN SLP is essentially a tactical SX2 and will last a long, long time.

P.S. I just noticed that his new record of breaking 7 clays with a pump action thrown from the hip was done with a Mossberg 500 and now that he is sponsored by Mossberg he will be using the 500 and the 930. I believe the 930 is one of, if not the most under appreciated firearm in current production. It will be interesting to see if he can break his current records for semi-autos with his 930. Many assumed that the 1300 was the fastest pump action but now it can be said that the fastest pump action is the 500.

Last edited by jmortimer; December 8, 2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old December 8, 2010, 04:49 PM   #30
Donaldjr1969

I am one of those that only use pump shotguns because that's all I own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmortimer
P.S. I just noticed that his new record of breaking 7 clays with a pump action thrown from the hip was done with a Mossberg 500 and now thqat he is sponsered by Mossberg he will be using the 500 and the 930. I believe the 930 is one of, if not the most under appreciated firearm in current production. It will be interesting to see if he can break his current records for semi-autos with his 930. Many assumed that the 1300 was the fastest pump action but now it can be said that the fastest pump action is the 500.
Darn, now I have to get rid of my 1300 for a Mossberg... But when I used to shoot clay targets with my 1300 and a Hoppe's Clayking thrower, I did eventually become good enough to break doubles with the 1300. Now that I am going to a bona fide trap range, I probably could become proficient enough to shoot doubles trap in time with the same 1300 I used 23 years ago.