The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2009, 07:23 PM   #1
billcarey

Lyman Spar-T and T-Mag II Presses

Has anyone used a Spar-T and T-Mag II? I've been using a Spar-T for almost 20 yrs and feel like upgrading to the T-Mag II. I have no complaints with the Spar-T but feel like the newer T-Mag is propably heavier and more refined...maybe and little more "rockchuckerish" in sturdyness but I haven't handled one to know. Is there much difference in operation, tightness, feel between the two?

BC
Old February 24, 2009, 08:49 PM   #2
OldShooter

T-Mag II

I have a T-Mag and like it but I have nothing to compare it to. It is the only press I have had and that for less than a year. It is sturdy and I have had no troubles with it or the accessories that came with it. I like that it is a six position turret and I have set up dies for .45ACP, 9mm and .380ACP.
Old February 25, 2009, 08:29 PM   #3
DEDON45

I've used both (I don't own either ... I have a hornady single stage and their AP product at home)... the T-Mag does have more leverage (improved linkage design), and the turret seems to have less to no play in it when at full stroke... though my buddy still turns out great ammo with his Dad's old Spar-T.
Old February 25, 2009, 10:14 PM   #4
wncchester

Other than the improved leverage, I doubt you will find any difference between the old and the new version.

A couple of years back, I took my old (1965) Spar-T into my home shop and converted it into a compound lever link system so, in a way, I've used both designs. It's much easier to work with now but I still don't use it much any more, use a good single stage instead.
Old February 26, 2009, 05:30 PM   #5
billcarey

Thanks for the feedback. I only do 32/38/357 and leverage isn't a problem with the Spar T. The main reason I was thinking of upgrading is because I feel like buying a new reloading toy. I'll probably skip buying a new T Mag.
Old February 26, 2009, 05:51 PM   #6
DEDON45

You should be fine... even with the less-efficient leverage of the Spar-T, my friend still reloads .308 and .30-06 with relative ease.