The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 6, 2010, 11:09 PM   #1
blueovelwookie

Help me understand AL law

how do i go about getting a class III weapon?
i would like some type of suppressed rifle.
any and all advise welcome.
Old June 7, 2010, 12:27 AM   #2
RAnb

Live in the USA? You need to live in AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MO (with C&R), MS, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI or WY. If you buy one from a person in your state or from a dealer, then you need the ATF form 4. The ATF form 1 is used to make one. Either way you fill out the form double sided, get the local sheriff to sign it then send it in along with form 5330.20, fingerprint cards, your passport sized photos and a check for $200. It takes about 4-6 months for approval now. If the local sheriff will not sign, then you can ask a judge or DA.

Firearms are either title 2 (machine guns, silencers etc) or title 1, (all others). Class 1, 2 and 3 are FFL's that pay the SOT for importing, manufacturing and dealing. You can order and/or download forms from the ATF website here; http://www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/ Http://www.silencertalk.com and http://www.subguns.com are other good sources for info.

Have specific questions?

Ranb
Old June 7, 2010, 01:45 AM   #3
David Hineline

Contact an Alabama dealer, they do it for a living and will know the AL laws, any CLEO problems where you live.

Alabama
Nick Hope - Rock Creek Gun Service

Specialties: Class 2 - Suppressors and HK work
901 Glaze Dr.
Bessemer, AL 35023
Phone: (205) 436-GUNS
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: N/A

Gary E. Reisenwitz
Specialties: Class 3 and Gunsmith
1958 Carter's Grove Road
Hazel Green, AL 35750
Phone: (205) 828-1695 (evenings)
Homepage: N/A
Old June 7, 2010, 07:40 AM   #4
Skans

Step 1: Determine whether Silencers are permitted in your state.

Step 2: Make sure that you don't have anything in your background that would prohibit you from owning a registered Class III weapon, like a silencer. Felonies, history of drug abuse or alcoholism, or spouse abuse will be problems.

Step 3: Call the sheriff of the county you reside in and see if he will sign off on a "Form 4" for the transfer of a silencer to you. If he is NFA friendly, every CLEO has a different procedure for you to get a sign-off. Find out what it is. Sometimes, its as simple as giving the CLEO the form and asking him to sign. Other times, like in my case, I had to undergo a background check by my local Sheriff's department which consisted of an investigator asking questions of my neighbors and of my wife. This is in addition to the FBI/BATFE background investigation.

Step 4: Locate a Class III dealer willing to handle the transfer in your state - try to find one nearby. Talk to the dealer and tell him what your plans are for purchasing a silencer and find out his rates for handling the transfer. Either get the transfer package directly from BATFE or from your Class III dealer. Start filling out the paperwork, get your photo taken, and get your fingerprint card filled out. You won't be able to complete the application until you know the serial number of the item you are purchasing.

Step 5: Purchase the silencer and have it sent to your Class III dealer.

Step 6: Now, take your completed Form 4 to your Sheriff/CLEO (whom you've already spoken to) and submit it to him for his signature.

Step 7: Take the entire package - completed Form 4 with CLEO signature; photo and fingerprint cards done on the ones provided to you by BATFE together with a check for $200 and mail that away to BAFE for processing.

Step 8: Wait 3-5 months while your Form 4 is being processed. Don't bug them before 90 days has passed.

Step 9: When you receive your Form 4 back with your tax stamp, take it to your Class III dealer and pick up your silencer.

The biggest issue is whether your CLEO will sign off for the purchase of a silencer. That's why I recommend that one of the first things you do is talk to your CLEO. If he will not sign and if you live in a state that doesn't outlaw the ownership of registered silencers, then you can set up a trust, corporation or LLC (most folks using trusts these days) and designate the trust as the owner and you as a beneficiary of the trust - best if done by a knowledgeable lawyer, but some have done their own trusts.

Last edited by Skans; June 7, 2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old June 7, 2010, 08:38 PM   #5
shooter_john

+1 for Nick Hope/ Rock Creek Guns in Bessemer.
I dropped of some cash and picked up appropriate ATF forms earlier today for my new 308 suppressor. Now for the waiting...

Whereabouts in AL are you located?
Old June 8, 2010, 02:39 PM   #6
blueovelwookie

thanks for the info.
i am located in Andalusia
Old June 8, 2010, 06:29 PM   #7
dukeofurl

OP, please say "NFA" or "Title 2"

"Class 3" is just as erroneous as calling a clip a magazine. Any SOT payer can transact business in NFA items. The taxpayer class has nothing to do with anything.
Old June 8, 2010, 08:37 PM   #8
MGMike

Guys, this may come as a huge shock, but Andalusia is not in Alabama.
The NFA does not apply there.

M
Old June 8, 2010, 08:46 PM   #9
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike
Guys, this may come as a huge shock, but Andalusia is not in Alabama.
The NFA does not apply there.
It will be a surprise to the citizens of Covington County, Alabama, that their county seat isn't located there. Probably be an even bigger surprise to the 9,000 residents of Andalusia.

http://www.cityofandalusia.com/
Old June 9, 2010, 10:41 AM   #10
MGMike

Well, how about that?

Sorry: I was thinking of the place in Spain.

M
Old June 9, 2010, 10:33 PM   #11
bigdogeat

Machinegun sale

Hi guys, can anyone tell me if I need to go through a class 3 dealer when selling my machinegun to someone local in my own state?
Old June 12, 2010, 07:33 PM   #12
SpeedLoader

bigdog...drop me a PM. I have purchased several class III this way.
Old June 12, 2010, 08:44 PM   #13
shooter_john

Whew...

I'm glad to hear that Andalusia is back in Dixie!