The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 6, 2012, 12:35 AM   #1
indy1919

Could One use a spent 45 pistol round in a 45 cal Muzzleloader

So at the range was picking up a bunch of spent 45 caliber pistol bullets from the back stop. There had been a good rain and they are great freebee gifts to kids..

Other then the rifling marks many of the rounds looked undistorted..

So if I had a 45 caliber black powder rifle could I reuse those spent bullets as ammo?????
Old December 6, 2012, 05:34 AM   #2
Hawg

No, they're too big. Not to mention too hard.
Old December 6, 2012, 02:16 PM   #3
birdshot

slingshot ammo

I use them in my slingshot. They fly true and hit harder than glass marbles.
Old December 6, 2012, 06:41 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

I guess a guy could use what he wanted to in his own rifle - i'ts his gun. BUT . . . that being said, I guess I could also shoot nails, rocks and cow manure as well.

IF, they happened to fit - you say they have rifling marks - is it going to match the rifling in your rifle? i doubt it. How would they react to the twist in your barrel, IF you could get 'em down? Are they lead or FMJ? There are projectiles designed for muzzleloading . . . and there are projectiles designed for modern rifles and handguns. "Nary the two should intertwine."

A big +1 to what Hawg said . . .

I have retrieved lead from backstops that were fired from muzzleloaders . . . but washed it well, melted it down, fluxed it and skimmed the impurities off and then cast it into new rounds - all soft lead. As far as picking up rounds and recycling 'em as they are . . . to me that's akin to picking up someone's cigarette butt and smoking it. Personally, I value the bore of my rifles and smoothbores too much . . .they only eat "new" projectiles.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 6, 2012, 07:56 PM   #5
robhof

robhof

I've been scrounging lead from backstops for years and yes after a good rain they are usually sitting on the surface. I separate the jacketed from the lead and use the lead mixed for casting bullets for my smokeless guns and the jacketed ones melted down and skimmed of their jackets produce a very soft lead that works well in my B/p guns.
Old December 6, 2012, 08:05 PM   #6
Pahoo

Interesting Idea

Quote:
So if I had a 45 caliber black powder rifle could I reuse those spent bullets as ammo?????
As mentioned; NO.
However, you could use them in a .50, using a 45/50 Sabot. Personally I don't know if I would but you certainly could. ....

Be Safe !!!