The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 24, 2002, 12:36 AM   #1
hansolo

Ruger MKII Target .22 broke

My good friend loaned me his Ruger .22 -- after several fun trips to the range, it started acting up: occasionally, a spent casing would jam. I'd clear it and it wouldn't happen for a few magazines. Then, after two in a row I noticed a tiny piece of grey metal on the ground: looks as if the front part of extractor broke off. Is this a difficult repair? I feel bad that this happened -- the pistol is at least ten years old and it broke while entrusted to me!!

Hopefully, it won't be a big deal

It looks as if I have the "reverse-Midas Touch"
Old September 24, 2002, 01:27 AM   #2
Chuck Dye

Piece of cake. You need a non-marring device to depress and hold the extractor plunger ( I used a broken plastic dental pick.) . When mine broke after about 15,000 rounds, the stem remained in the bolt and retained the plunger and spring, so all I needed was the extractor. A phone call to Ruger was all it took. The new extractor arrived in the mail 4 days later. Ruger refused to accept even postage. I was able to install the new part without consulting the manual-if you knew my mechanical skills, you would understand how easy it is. Be sure to use the opportunity to clean the extractor seat and plunger hole. Take a look at the manual's exploded drawing to make sure of what part or parts you need and call Ruger. There are a few aftermarket extractors, Clark Custom makes one, but I have no idea whether they are worthwhile. Might be worth a seperate thread to solicit opinions.
Old September 24, 2002, 01:43 AM   #3
Chuck Dye

Re-reading your post, I see "at least ten years old". My manual, acquired a few weeks ago to replace the one I lost, shows the extractor as part KA02200, the plunger as KA 02510, and the extractor spring as KA20300 for all models of MkII and 22/45 pistols. The phone number is (520) 778-6555. They will also send a manual for the asking.

You will need the serial number of the gun when you call.
Old September 28, 2002, 09:29 PM   #4
hansolo

Ruger MKII

Huck Phinn,

Thanks for your help! Sounds like we had the same thing happen...the "stem" is still in the bolt. I appreciate your getting the phone number for Ruger!

This makes it three firearms I have broken this month: Ruger MKII .22 extractor, CZ 75B Slide stop pin snapped, Remington Speedmaster .22 rifle feeding/extracting jams....oh, and several months ago, I borrowed a friend's Colt Gov. Model .45: after about 100 rounds, the slide totally froze-up..."This is the first jam I've had in this Colt in thousands of rounds..."

Don't let me near your firearms!
Old September 29, 2002, 05:45 PM   #5
Nukem

Make sure to change out the spring while you're at it. They seem to go bad pretty often ( you'll know when it won't extract an UNfired round from the chamber )