The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 5, 2013, 01:05 AM   #1
sirdiealot

type 53

went and picked up my type 53 from lgs....man has that gun seem some times....wood is rough and there must have been 20lbs of cosmoline on it....took it apart and i got a wall heater in shed that blows hot air out the bottom of it so i just set it in front of it for about an hr and the parts were hot enough you really didnt want to hold them for long but everything was just leakin the cosmo all over the towel they were on,,,so did a really good wipe down and started it up again. after 3 times doing this nothing was coming off anymore. did a good clean and the barrel grooves look new and the bolt slides smooth and a real light trigger pull...somewhere in the 4 to 5lb range i would guess. gonna take her out tomorrow and if it shoots good will do a finish on the wood but with the way barrel looked should have no problems,

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old February 5, 2013, 02:34 AM   #2
bamaranger

been lookin' too

A local shop has a few of these, or at least did, last time I was in. Not really a good time to make another gun purchase, but I may go for one.

A few years back I bought a PSL and a fair quantity of corrosive mil-surp ammo. Turns out I have not shot any of the mil-surp through the PSL, mainly 'cause I don't want to fool with cleaning it all out of the gas system, etc.

But the bolt type 53 should be simple to clean, and they seem light and short enough to make a good truck rifle. Throw it in there and forget about it. Apply as necessary. If it happens, I will likely have the bayonet off, PDQ.

If you don't mind, can you say what you paid for yours? Also, report b ack as to what type of accuracy you end up with.
Old February 5, 2013, 08:32 PM   #3
sirdiealot

took the type 53 and the 91/30 out today for the first time at the range....the type 53 was a sweet shooting gun, the action was as fast and smooth as any bolt ive shot which surprised the hell out of me because of what it looked like when i unboxed it. but the grooves were sharp and shiny not a dull bore at all. and at 100 yrds shooting off hand no rest was hitting about 2.5 inch groups of 5. honestly not a whole lot better with the rest. the gun shoots better then i do. at 50yds i put up 5 clays and shooting battle style standing and working the bolt and shooting all 5 shots in about 8 seconds or so got 3 of them. the gun was 119.00 at buds gun shop.

the 91/30 needs another cleaning i guess bolt wasnt as smooth as the type 53 even though its a great looking gun looks like it came nib. shoots about 3 inches low at 25yds bout 2inches low at 50 and dont know where the hell it was shooting at 100. gonna take a bigger target with me next time but only took 60 rds with me on this trip cause didnt think i would like them this much to be honest. shoulder can tell i shot them all lol. using milsurp ammo. think i can get the 91/30 to shoot better cause the groups were all about 2-3 inch group at 50.

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.