The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 14, 2012, 09:16 PM   #51
M4BGRINGO

I bought a used 617 and will never sell it. Great feeling gun, maybe over-priced, but that's ok, it isn't going anywhere in my lifetime.

I also have two .22 semi auto handguns, but the 617 is my baby!
Old July 15, 2012, 08:57 PM   #52
oldgranpa

What about the LCR 22?

My LCR 22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Traded for a LCR 22 and checked it at the range with my wife. She has weak hands, can't rack a slide and can't cock the hammer on centerfire SA/DA revolvers. Trigger pull at the dealer was about the same as for a SP101 and much better than a Taurus 94. Better price too and no hammer for her to cock.
At the range we shot over 50rounds of a variety of ammo with no malfunction of anykind. The little revolver shot to POA for me. Wife got a little used to the trigger after 3 reloads and began putting shots on the paper plate at about 4 yds. The trigger pull is more than for a .38revolver and she tended to pull shots right and up just off the paper plate. But the trigger is unusual in that it can be 'staged', pull to about half way then hold aim and fire. Don't know if I described it correctly, but a nice idea.

I then did some Chrony tests to compare with what Jeff Quinn reported....

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LCR22.htm

Average results...
Win Dynapoint...860fps.....JQ...866.
CCI MiniMag.......1000fps...JQ...928
Fed BulkPac.......980fps......JQ...831
Velocitor............980fps......JQ...885
Stinger..............1300fps.....JQ...NA

Compared some .25acp with my Beretta 21A and got....820fps avg.

The only minor problem with the LCR was some ammo like the Federal and Velocitor were harder to extract and had to hit the rod with my hand.

So the best ammo for my LCR looks like CCI MiniMag right now. We'll go to the range again soon so my wife can learn to shoot it better.

og
Old July 16, 2012, 12:31 PM   #53
ScotchMan

Quote:
I personally believe since you say you have these "business guns" whatever that might mean, that you know that S&W revolvers are known for higher out of the box quality than ANY currently manufactured 22 revolver.
By business guns, I just mean they are the ones I train with, carry, and shopped for with the criteria of hard, frequent use. Great performance is required no matter the cost. The .22LR I want is none of these things, its a toy, and a training aide at best. I'm not disparaging your .22 revolvers, I'm just saying for me this does not need to be a BMW, it can be a Neon. But, if a more expensive choice is worth it, I don't need the gun tomorrow, I can save a bit more and get the more expensive one.

I agree that S&W has a great reputation (despite some people saying otherwise about newer examples). But I hear the same thing about Ruger. The Charter is a new idea for me, coming from this thread, but the recommendation was positive from a poster that I respect, so I'm considering it.

I have handled S&W and Ruger revolvers, though not the .22 varieties. I agree the K-frame S&Ws are very nice. The Rugers seem that the newer ones are very nice (I held a new GP100 and thought the trigger was as nice or better than a 686). But the older ones (an '89 SP101 I had) had triggers that were definitely not as nice as the Smiths.

The LCR is definitely out, only because of the size. I want something I can get a full grip on for sure.

I will of course go to a gun store and handle everything before making a decision. The only reason I haven't yet is because I don't want to buy just yet. I like to do some initial research online first so I go in with a good set of ideas and know what to look for. For example, I will pay extra attention to the double action on the SP101 since some have reported it is not the best. And I will look at a Charter, which I would not have otherwise done.

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old July 16, 2012, 01:10 PM   #54
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
The .22LR I want is none of these things, its a toy, and a training aide at best.
No gun is a toy.
Old July 16, 2012, 07:09 PM   #55
10 Beers

Quote:
It's definitely a fine handgun but I have one worry about it.
Don't worry, it wont break. The MKIIIs were the best 22 revolvers ever made. When you shoot one you get to practice sight and trigger control with zero recoil. My 4 inch tought me to shoot my 6 inch Python as the 4 inch barrel was heavier per inch than the 357 so it balanced the same.
Old July 19, 2012, 08:38 PM   #56
ScotchMan

Quote:
Quote:
The .22LR I want is none of these things, its a toy, and a training aide at best.
No gun is a toy.
I KNEW someone was going to post that. And I said it anyway. You know what I meant.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old July 20, 2012, 04:58 PM   #57
ScotchMan

My favorite LGS has a used 4" 617, he said he'd sell me for $600. That works out to about $650 after tax. It's in great condition.

I handled a Charter Arms Pathfinder at the same time, and I agree the Smith is worth the extra money. The double action trigger was just very gritty and seemed to stack. For $200 more used, the Smith seems like the smarter choice.

He didn't have a Ruger for me to try. He had a 6" 617 as well, but I think that is a little big/heavy for my purposes. The 4" seems perfect. Is that a good deal?

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old July 20, 2012, 05:09 PM   #58
newfrontier45

Quote:
Single Action:

Cimarron Plinkerton
Heritage Arms
Ruger Bearcat
Ruger Single Six
Ruger Single Ten
You forgot the Uberti Stallion, the 12/22 and Plinker from US Firearms.

The Cimarron Plinkerton is almost all pot metal and I wouldn't cross the street for a free one. The Heritage is actually better but not by much.

Quote:
Overpriced, using old technology, tweaked out of spec when you breath on them wrong, have restrictions on their diet, have "safety features" you don't want, require frequent maintenance, and tear themselves apart when pushed to their advertised limits. Definitely a good analogy.
Must've been a long time since you experienced a Cadillac. If ever.

The Cadillac analogy is a good one but not for new guns. Older S&W's were definitely a step above 20yrs ago but those days are gone. They've cheapened their guns to the point that I would rather have a Ruger DA and that's saying a lot.
Old July 22, 2012, 09:32 AM   #59
ScotchMan

Is $600 a good price for a used 617 in great condition?

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old July 22, 2012, 01:50 PM   #60
bob.a

Personally I prefer older revolvers. Smith M17, K22, Colt Officer's Model Match, they all carry some history, and are arguably better made and certainly more attractive than current production.

Rimfires don't suffer as much from use as centerfire revolvers of the era, and issues of modern metallurgy generally not going to surface with the .22 cal cartridge.

They're not cheap, but generally not terribly expensive either, when you consider what you're getting. And of course there's no depreciation factor; in fact, they hold their value pretty well, if that's a consideration.

But then, I just like older guns.
Old July 24, 2012, 12:22 PM   #61
BoomieMCT

My first .22 revolver was a Taurus 94. Fit my hand great at the gunshow. Completely crap trigger once I got it to the range.

I since bought what I really wanted (because I coveted my cousin's) - an H&R Sportsman 999 breaktop revolver. I shoot it nearly as good as my Ruger MkII target gun. I carry it in the field at my folk's farm for varmits and snakes and such. They aren't made anymore but I see them from time to time for about $400.

My buddy just got a 4" 617. I like it a lot too but I shoot my H&R better (perhaps I'm more used to it but I think the trigger is better). I think I'd get a 6" model 17 if I had to get something else. I personaly like the longer partial underlug barrel more than the full underlug 617.
Old July 24, 2012, 06:51 PM   #62
jackpine

older model S&W K frame from a local shop or if you must gunbroker
Old July 25, 2012, 07:45 AM   #63
ScotchMan

Ended up going with that 617-6 used but in great shape. Haven't had a chance to fire it yet, but the trigger is buttery smooth, and the single action is the best trigger I've come across in my limited exposure to 1911s and the like. Can't wait to get it to the range, Friday at the latest. Will post pictures.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old July 25, 2012, 08:17 AM   #64
Doyle

Congratulations. That is a revolver that will last you a lifetime and then your grandchildren's lifetime.
Old July 26, 2012, 07:28 AM   #65
tlm225

You have chosen wisely sir.
Old July 26, 2012, 06:54 PM   #66
Rapidray

617 also

Found a LNIB 617 also and when I saw the price of $550...it went on lay-a-way in a heart beat. Picked it up Friday and shot it on Monday. It is a very good shooter! I was ready to trade for a new one at $740. So I am a happy camper.
Old April 6, 2013, 03:10 PM   #67
Carmady

oldgranpa said:
"I then did some Chrony tests to compare with what Jeff Quinn reported....

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LCR22.htm

Average results...
Win Dynapoint...860fps.....JQ...866.
CCI MiniMag.......1000fps...JQ...928
Fed BulkPac.......980fps......JQ...831
Velocitor............980fps......JQ...885
Stinger..............1300fps.....JQ...NA"

I've been looking into .22s and noticed something in your and Jeff's results.

Both of you show the MiniMag being faster than the Velocitor.

CCI's site shows 1235/1260 fps for the 40/36gr MiniMags, and 1435 fps for the Velocitor.

The CCI tests likely used rifle barrels, and yours used a 1 7/8" handgun.

Do you think the faster (per CCI) Velocitor was slower in the shorter barrel (your tests) than the MiniMag because of a slower burning propellant?
Old April 6, 2013, 03:44 PM   #68
aarondhgraham

Hello Scotchman,,,

Well, I put my money where my mouth was,,,
I purchased a brand new Charter Arms target Pathfinder.

I paid $334 for it at The Evil Pawn Shop.

It is almost exactly the same size and shape,,,
As my S7W J-frame Model 34.

The biggest difference between them is the full lug barrel,,,
But they feel and handle exactly the same.

I bought this as a gift for a wonderful young lady I know,,,
We have been shooting together for a while now,,,
She has put 550 rounds through it,,,
And likes it very much.

She doesn't know it's hers as yet,,,
I haven't quite finished the gun-belt and holster.

It was (is) stiff right out of the box,,,
But I attribute that to it's being brand new,,,
We are breaking it in now and I think it's loosening up nicely.

I'm not a fan of rubber grips,,,
But I must say that these are comfortable.

The only thing I don't like is the front sight,,,
It's a smooth ramp that tends to disappear in bright light,,,
I am going to apply some orange paint to try and correct that problem.

Yes, my Model 34 and Model 63 are great guns,,,
But I feel that this Charter Pathfinder will be just fine for her.

Especially at it's very affordable price point.

Aarond

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 130227-Charter-Mod_34.JPG (143.4 KB, 671 views)
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old April 6, 2013, 03:49 PM   #69
salvadore

I bought a model 17 about 25 years ago and have put a gazillion rounds thru it. I bought a 617 about two years ago and have put hundreds of rouns thru it. Upon my demise my two miserable Grand Kids will inherit two tack driving .22 handguns.
Old April 6, 2013, 07:43 PM   #70
Obambulate

I think the 4" 617 is a perfect choice. It has a great balance and will last many lifetimes. It's money well spent.
Old April 6, 2013, 08:27 PM   #71
dsa1115

I bought a S&W 63 years ago and it's a good shooter. My only criticism is the double action trigger is heavy.....my guess around 12lbs, and I assume that's for rimfire ignition reliability. And for whatever reason, after I'm shooting the gun for awhile and the cylinder heats up, it becomes more and more difficult to extract spent casings.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old April 6, 2013, 08:39 PM   #72
Auto5

Back in the olden days my camping gun was a 4 5/8 blue Ruger super single six convertible. I still regret letting that one go, but since I was doing more rafting and kayaking, I got it into my head that I needed a stainless gun, so I traded the in the Ruger for a 4 inch Smith mod. 63, Also a great gun, too good in fact, because my best friend's wife fell in love with it, and he hounded me until I sold it to him for her. I now pack a 3 inch Ruger SP101. With .38 wadcutters, it's a nice plinker/small game gun and a variety of ammo, up to .357 mag makes it suitable for just about anything I need.
Old April 8, 2013, 12:38 AM   #73
bustersmaster

I guess it just proves that there's an exception to everything. I had the m617 itch a few years ago and bought what I thought was a pretty minty example on GB'r and was sorely disappointed with it. It shaved lead pretty bad and took a long time cleaning up the scorch marks off the cylinder after firing 20 or 30 rounds.
I took a bath on that one. S&W wouldn't warranty it because I didn't buy it new. I bought a Bersa semi auto 22 and like it a lot. I also found a used J.C.Higgins (High Standard) that fills the 22 revolver nitch pretty well.
Not knocking S&W, I have others I like alot, and would hate to part with those.
Old April 10, 2013, 08:56 PM   #74
bbqbob51

I have a Ruger Single Six with a 9" barrel and have never regretted buying it, it's a great shooter. I now want a double action .22lr revolver with a 6" barrel and have settled on getting a S&W 617. It is an expensive gun but everyone that owns on seems to be in love so I put money down at a gun shop and my order has been put in with his distributor. They told him that they expect some in this month, I can't wait!
Old April 10, 2013, 11:05 PM   #75
22-rimfire

You did good with the 4" 617 if I understand your choice. I also think the 6" is a little front heavy and certainly heavier than I want for a woods toy. The best price I have seen on a used 617 was $500 and that was a couple years ago.