The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 13, 2012, 09:12 PM   #1
Tactical Canadian

New to trap

Hey TFL, as the title reads I am going trap shooting next weekend and I just want to know what shell type I should be using for 12ga. I have never been before and I don't want to show up with the wrong equipment. Any other pointers are welcome also. Thanks in advance.
Old February 13, 2012, 09:39 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I trust you know the basics; five stations, one target at a time in rotation, change stations when everybody has shot five

Shells: standard load 1 or 1 1/8 oz of no 8.
No 9, 8 1/2, or no 7 1/2 are ok but nothing larger.

Modified or full choke.

Cold range, do not load until it is your turn. One at a time, I doubt they will start you out on doubles. Gun empty and action open between shots ESPECIALLY have gun empty and open when changing stations. DOUBLE ESPECIALLY have gun empty and open when moving behind other shooters from station 5 to station 1.
Old February 14, 2012, 01:01 AM   #3
oldkim

what he said...

Excellent post above...

Just wanted to clarify the "no"

Number 9, 8, 7 1/2 shots... are all fine for trap. Typically folks will use 7 1/2 or 8. Number 9 shot for skeet but that's another thread.

First do check with your club as they may require certain limitations on what ammo. For a first time it's just best to buy their ammo (that way you are certain you are using the right stuff).

Take your time and enjoy. Don't count how many you hit or miss but focus on having fun and being consistent once you start hitting them.

Remember it takes lots of practice... seldom does one become a natural but there are always exceptions. Have fun!

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old February 26, 2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Overhill

Personally i prefer 1 ounce #8 @ 1200 FPS. Remember to keep your head down on the stock.
good luck.
Old February 26, 2012, 01:55 PM   #5
Ricklin

Keep in mind

Eye on the rock. (clay target)
Head on the stock.

I too like 1 oz #8 @ 1200-1250
Old March 2, 2012, 11:29 PM   #6
Viper225

Back to the Question.
When I buy ammo instead of reloading it, I will get the 100 Pak's at Wal Mart, either Federal or Remington. Shot size, either #7-1/2 or #8 shot will work fine. Normally the ones referenced above will be a 1-1/8 Oz loads.

I normally get the Remingtons, as my reloading components work in them, and I save my hulls.

Due to all this Hope and Change, shot has gotten so expensive that most of the guys are just buying bulk pak shotgun shells instead of reloading at the moment.

Bob
Old March 3, 2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Hansam

Excellent post above already.

I just wanted to add that when I shoot trap I consider it practice for hunting. As such I use the load I'd use for wing shooting.

#6@1200/1250fps out of a modified cylinder choked 18" barrel.

I also snap shoot...

Makes the game a bit more difficult too but I typically bring down low 20s.

Oh and I buy my ammo from Walmart too.
Old March 3, 2012, 09:22 AM   #8
Tombstonejim

You would not be allowed to shoot #6 shot at any range that I shoot at. 71/2 is the largest that I have seen and they all have signs in the club house stating this. I am pretty sure it is a safty zone and insurance thing. If you are shooting it at an organized club I bet that they do not know it.
Old March 3, 2012, 09:45 AM   #9
Hansam

Hmm... the clubs/ranges I shoot at doesn't say anything about it and they all know what I shoot.

Well maybe its just those clubs/ranges then.

In any case I'm not suggesting that everyone use #6 but well that's what I do and have done for years. I've had a lot of guys ask me why I'm handicapping myself by using #6 shot AND shooting out of an 18" barrel but nobody said anything else really.
Old March 3, 2012, 10:57 PM   #10
Ricklin

The rules

Trap requires specific loads. No larger than 7.5 shot, no more than 1 1/8th oz. of said shot.

Your #6s could be an issue, they are dangerous at a longer range. Most clubs have a requirement that the shot falls out of the sky within a specific known distance. At my club and many others we don't allow greater than 7.5 shot. Larger sizes would be raining down on the passing cars on highway 30. If you ever graduate to ATA 7.5 is the max. shot size.
Old March 4, 2012, 08:50 AM   #11
Hansam

I know I've read the rules but the main club I shoot at doesn't have any restrictions. Of course I'm not in any official league. Its just a bunch of guys who get together to shoot trap twice a week and some keep scores some don't.

The other two clubs I shoot at (once a week at each club) didn't mention anything either aside from also asking why I'm handicapping myself with a short gun and larger shot. That's also just open trap shooting too though.

None of the clubs I shoot at are facing roads or other residential areas. All of them own many acres of land behind the trap ranges that are typically the tail end of their rifle ranges so nobody is back there anyway. Nearest neighbor to any of the clubs is over a mile away in the direction we'd be shooting. Could be why nobody cares where I shoot.

I'm sure if I do graduate to official league they'll make me shoot 7.5 or smaller. Till then I'll continue to use shooting trap as practice for actual hunting. Now I just need to find a club that has a skeet range...
Old March 4, 2012, 12:56 PM   #12
zippy13

Tactical Canadian,
You might peruse Remington's pamphlet on trap shooting, it will greatly accelerate your learning curve. Download the .pdf from here: http://www.remington.com/~/media/Fil...tals_2004.ashx