The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 5, 2012, 11:20 PM   #1
rmocarsky

Ist time for everything

Gunners,

While hunting opening day on my friend's farm, as usual (unbelievable finger of woods between 2 fields) here comes what I think is a doe across the bean field headed straight for me.

I am sitting on a log as I acquired an inability to feel safe in tree stands a few years back (I am 60 years old).

I position myself to intercept this "doe" and when she is within 20 yards I cut loose with my SKS paratrooper and "she" flops down.

Much to my surprise she regains her front feet and begins to crawl downhill, back towards the bean field.

Bang, bang . . . MISSES!!!!!!!!!!

"She" crawls out of sight and I wait about half hour and trail.

I find "her" still alive and approach to with 10 yards and aim for head shot.

MISS!!!!!!!

I get right up on "her" and finally finish the job.

Come to find out my peep sight on the carbine had become somehow seriously loose and the doe was a button buck.

That is the first time anything like that happened to me.

My first shot hit the deer in the spine. I was aiming for the heart-lung area.

Lucky I hit it at all.

Rmocarsky
Old January 5, 2012, 11:33 PM   #2
Buzzcook

Stuff happens. Now you got incentive to check your sights before you head out.

At least you didn't lose the deer.
Old January 6, 2012, 01:47 AM   #3
BIG P

YEP stuff happens,took my grandson 6yrs old with me deer hunting.Been in the blind 3hours here comes our Buck of course papa misses 3 times then the BOY says maybe I should of turned those nobs on top a few more times.The whole time PAPA was thinking YEP I should turn your fANNY red. But I just laughed it off & went back to playing with the toy trucks. Whats hunting if you cant have fun???
Old January 6, 2012, 10:10 AM   #4
Gbro

Quote:
I am sitting on a log as I acquired an inability to feel safe in tree stands a few years back (I am 60 years old).
I am just a few months behind you and my stand has been getting lower to where my climber was at the 5 foot mark last year and my Grandson used it this year as I now prefer a folding chair.
BUT, a very good friend that is 60 was taking advantage of the new language in the hunting laws that removed the height restriction and fell about 20 Ft. just 2 weeks ago. He was bow hunting alone and 2 miles back in the bush.
He was able to walk out and is recovering from broken ribs.
So I am with you on the ground stand.
Old January 6, 2012, 10:41 AM   #5
warbirdlover

Ground stand for me too. I replaced the 20' tall rickety one where I had to climb straight up. It was very dangerous for me (64 years old) climbing up and climbing down if there was no one around to help me. I now feel safe and secure in my "shipping crate" as one of the guys called it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shippingcrate.jpg (242.6 KB, 34 views)