The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2011, 02:10 PM   #1
pshaw

410 shotgun reloading question

Hi All,

Are there presses available to load 410 shotgun shells with 00 buck? If so, which one(s)?

Thanks, Rog
Old February 10, 2011, 05:43 PM   #2
BigJimP

Any press designed to load a .410 shell - will let you load 00 Buck / or any other size shot that will fit into the hull. You just match the right amount of shot you want to load ( like 1/2 oz of shot ) to the right wad and you should be fine.

Any Mec loaders for .410 will work ...

but I think you're only going to get 4 pieces of OO Buck into a .410 shell ( 1/2 oz ) ....so I don't frankly see why you'd want to do this ...
Old February 10, 2011, 06:43 PM   #3
oneounceload

Typically, you will have to load the shot by hand as they tend to not drop well from the charge bar
Old February 10, 2011, 08:46 PM   #4
red caddy

I tried the 00 buck, but had to add cornmeal (as a buffer) to get a reliable crimp. I found that 3 .36 cal lead round balls worked much better, with a REM power piston wad. Very nasty HD load. Weigh the balls and adjust your powder charge accordingly. Paul
Old February 11, 2011, 12:42 PM   #5
BigJimP

I wouldn't add anything to a shell ---like cornmeal ----that might absorb moisture ...( and become a clump in there ). That would make me very nervous...

and I wouldn't reload any shell ....that I intended to use for self defense....for shotshells or handguns.

Just practice with standard shotshells ....and then load the weapon with factory OO buck or whatever you want.
Old February 12, 2011, 10:16 AM   #6
flashhole

pshaw, you might also consider a Lee Reloader if you are just doing small quantity, the hand type that comes in a small box ... aka ... whack-a-mole'

Red Caddy - where do you buy your round balls and wads?

Are you ready for civil war?
Old February 12, 2011, 01:51 PM   #7
snuffy

Quote:
pshaw, you might also consider a Lee Reloader if you are just doing small quantity, the hand type that comes in a small box ... aka ... whack-a-mole'
Yeah, try to find one. Since they're no longer made, the only ones you'll find are on fleabay, then IF one's for sale, you'll pay well over what a mec 600 jr. mark 5 would cost new!

http://shop.ebay.com/items/lee%20loa...&tt_encode=raw

Watch that one for 7 days, you'll see it go over a hundred bucks.

As for buck in .410, the 00 buck is .330 diameter. It would be a loose fit if put in a shell without a wad. Inside a wad, it might be a good fit, I don't have any to check the fit.

My ball load for .410 is three .390 balls bare in a 3" shell. I use the BPI stump wad, then a felt wad to raise the load for a roll crimp. It duplicates the specialty 3 ball loads you see @ gunshows, or maybe cheaper than dirt has some.

In my rossi single shot/w modified choke, it prints nice close groups @ 25 yards, around a foot in diam. In a judge revolver, it would be serious medicine for a BG's attitude!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old February 12, 2011, 02:17 PM   #8
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimP
and then load the weapon with factory OO buck or whatever you want.
Amen.
I would never consider using reloaded ammo for self-defense. Should you ever have to use HD ammo, the difference between factory and your special, extra nasty reloads might make a big difference to an anti-gun DA. Were you a typical citizen exercising the last resort in defending himself or a blood thirsty vigilante with special ammunition? Remember, they don't select juries exclusively from the TFL Fourms members list.
Old February 12, 2011, 02:39 PM   #9
snuffy

Quote:
Amen.
I would never consider using reloaded ammo for self-defense. Should you ever have to use HD ammo, the difference between factory and your special, extra nasty reloads might make a big difference to an anti-gun DA. Were you a typical citizen exercising the last resort in defending himself or a blood thirsty vigilante with special ammunition? Remember, they don't select juries exclusively from the TFL Fourms members list.
Prove it! Find one case that's even had the type of ammo used mentioned in the trial. I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!

Massad Ayoob and his bunch make lot's of money feeding off of peoples fears of retribution in court.

I hope like heck that I never have to pull a trigger on another human being. If I do, it'll most likely be one ,(or more), of my handloads, let them try to prove my loads were any more powerful than factory fodder.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?