The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 28, 2012, 10:21 PM   #1
codyb1991

H&R Huntsman .45 help

My father in-law gave me a H&R Huntsman .45 as a wedding gift, I own 4 modern firearms but I'm totally new to muzzle loaders. Just looking for some opinions about this particular gun and maybe some tips.
Old July 29, 2012, 09:01 AM   #2
PetahW

I gave one to my Grandson a few years ago - he shoots deer with it, using saboted rounds, which are actually .357 jacketed pistol bullets encased within a .45" OD plastic shell, over two 50gr Pyrodex "R" pellets (blackpowder replacement ).

I had replaced the smaller issue #11 (cap size) nipple with a larget Musket (cap size) nipple for a hotter spark, but that probably isn't necessary if you'll be staying with a lubricated conical bullet or a patched (also lubricated) lead round ball.

The PRB, while great for target shooting & plinking, is IMO quite a bit light (in weight) for taking deer in a .45cal.

Some Moose Milk (T/C #13 bore cleaner) and some cleaning patch material (old T-shirts work) will be needed for cleaning the gun after each shooting session, to prevent rust.

Welcome to the world of muzzleloading - it's addicting ( I got hooked 50 years ago)

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; August 10, 2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: bullet
Old July 29, 2012, 03:16 PM   #3
codyb1991

Oh yeah, it seems like a very good rifle and that .45 can pack a little punch. I'm stoked to take it out to the range and start learning. He gave me maybe 20 .45 balls and 15-20 .45 spears. another question i had is, where do you get more balls at? Or do I have to make them myself?
Old July 30, 2012, 09:48 AM   #4
PetahW

Either cast some up like casting fishing lures, or buy some @ a LGS or online (Midway, Cabela's, etc).

Because my state has an extensive muzzleloading deer season, almost all gunshops, and even wallyworld, hereabouts carries BP supplies.

Tags
.45 , h&r , huntsman , muzzle loader