The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 10, 2013, 09:47 AM   #1
USA SHARK

Stay focused and take action!

There have been a lot of posts on what is happening around us, and some of us have been very active in trying to influence the outcome. But what would happen if everyone was active? Most read posts, some respond, but it's like preaching to the choir.

I must say that after reading messages daily on this site and others, I have been as frustrated reading some of OUR posts as I am reading about what the liberals and media are trying to do to take away more of our fundamental rights. I have read so many messages from people saying they've already got what they need, or they will buy what they need now before the laws change, rather than understanding that we can't let the laws change! Infuriating!

I personally have had conversations daily with people I know, and even people I don't know, to make sure they understand what is truly at stake here, not just Gun Control, but Government Control. It doesn't stop with Guns!

I have sent numerous letters to government officials (I have never done this before in my life and I am 52!):

State Congress
State Senate
US Congressmen
US Senators
VP Biden
President Obama

This is a serious issue, not just because of possible limitations on Guns, but limitations on our rights that are guaranteed by the Constitution. Rights, not privileges. There is a big difference. These rights are what makes the USA the USA, and not some other country.

Apathy will have a huge negative impact on the outcome of this challenge, similar to voter apathy. People think "my vote doesn't really matter because there are millions of votes", and they think "my letter doesn't matter because no one will read it", but if enough people think that way, we get what we get, whether it be in our elected leaders, or in the controls pushed upon us, like gun control. (I still can't believe the election outcome after such a miserable record of poor leadership - I would have been fired if I did so poorly in my job)

So read these posts to get inspired, not just informed, and DO SOMETHING about it!
Old January 10, 2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Jo6pak

Amen.

I've sent several Emails to all my reps, both on state and federal levels.
I also continue to urge everyone on my Email contact list to do the same. Some of my freinds may be getting tired of my preaching
Old January 11, 2013, 12:49 PM   #3
Itchy Llama

Thank you...I hope we can all stand together and see the real issue here and have our voices heard...
Old January 12, 2013, 04:57 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

In order to make our voices heard ... we must speak.

While this appears self-evident, I was at the nearby local gun emporium just a couple of hours ago. A guy came in whom I had never encountered there before. He was wearing a sweatshirt with the name of a rod and gun club in a nearby town, so he's not one of the newbies rushing to get a gun because they just realized this might be their last chance.

This guy was crying about how we're going to lose all our rights, and he hopes the NRA will "do something." I pointed out that the NRA's position is well-known, that the people in Washington (and our state capitals) need to hear from us, as individual citizens and voters. I pointed out that today is Saturday. I said, "Write letters on Sunday, and mail them on Monday."

He just muttered, "Yeah, whatever ..." and pointedly turned his back on me to look in the display case behind him. He clearly had no intention of actually doing anything himself, not even writing a letter. He expects the NRA to do it all for him. Yet, he's a member of a gun club. He's "one of us."

Which means that WE are the problem, and if WE aren't willing to even write a letter, WE will have nobody to blame other than ourselves if WE lose our RKBA.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:39 PM   #5
USA SHARK

Apathy. The new American way. It's sad
Old January 12, 2013, 10:04 PM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Which means that WE are the problem, and if WE aren't willing to even write a letter, WE will have nobody to blame other than ourselves if WE lose our RKBA.
I've been dealing with that guy dozens of times a day lately.

"[insert unpopular politician] is gonna come for my guns! He's gonna get 'em bullets first! Say, do you guys have any ammo?"

I can do my best to convince the guy that we still have a representative government in which he can participate. He doesn't care. I can suggest he donate $25 to the ILA, which is less than he's paying for a box of ammo at the gun show. He doesn't care.

Instead, he treats me to his Red Dawn fantasies and sulks out. I'm lucky if he doesn't regale me with some tactless conspiracy theory.

I'm well aware that the vast majority of the gun culture doesn't participate. Heck, most can't even get off the Barcolounger long enough to go vote. But if things go wrong, who do they blame? Those of us who tried to get them to participate in the first place.

Yeesh.