The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 27, 2011, 08:36 PM   #1
SavageSniper

Red dot/Halo sight

Hi fellas. I'm looking to try either a red dot or a halo style sighting system on a brush rifle. I had an AimPoint red dot on a TC contender back in the 80's but was not impressed with it. Had a hard time seeing anything in low light conditions. I was wondering if anyone uses one (a modern one) now? If so, whats your opinion on it.
Old January 28, 2011, 05:06 PM   #2
bswiv

I have 2 of the Micros ( http://www.aimpoint.com/products/all...uct/micro-h-1/ ), one on my .35 Rem in a Scout mount and the other on a Rifled 20ga Double Barrel, also mounted out front.

Also have 2 Bushnell Red Dots and 2 old Tasco Pro Points. These are mounted on a 14 inch TC Contender .44 mag, a O/U 45-70 and Louann's H&R .243 single shot and also on the rifled 20 ga barrel that fits the same frame.

For close in hunting they are perfect and we've had only a issue or two, both times with the Bushnell ( Lifetime Warrenty so they fixed them! ).

The ones in the forward mount are very fast and as I was taught to shoot with both eyes open it is very natural. The dot seems to just hover out there.

And what you can do with one is amazing. I've shot deer and hogs from the stand one handed with my arm extended and the gun resting on a leg or a limb, both times with the .35 Rem. All you have to do is have the dot wherever you want it to hit......no need to worry about eye relief or whether the thing is centered.

But I will say that what you mention is true......no light gathering qualities. You lose a few minutes.......which I find to be more than made up for with all the other qualities.

Besides that, as we shoot CLOSE only I can't really say I have ever had to let one walk during legal time because I could not put the dot on him.

Lot's of new offerings out there besides these.....buy a cheep one to try the concept and then get a good one if you like the way it works.

You just can not do that with a scope.
Old January 28, 2011, 07:30 PM   #3
SavageSniper

Thx bswiv. We hunt the same critters and in the same kinda territory so I value you opinion. For ever I have used iron sights for close in work not only because they are fast but they keep the rifle light and less to hang up on in the thick areas we hunt in. Im thinking a halo sight would be fine with its small profile.
Old January 28, 2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Pahoo

I have lost track on how many RedDots I own. The only thing I have not mounted them on, are my SideCockers but I have installed them on In-Lines. Up here is the midwest we face harsher weather and because of that, I prefer the tube types or closed over the open or panaramics types. Most of my use, is in the hunting enviroment. Two of my target pistols are set up with the open type.

Once you get used to them, they are fantastic and sure helps those of us who celebrate too many birthdays. ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; January 30, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old January 30, 2011, 06:55 AM   #5
bswiv

""sure help those of us who celebrate too many birthdays""

What Pahoo said there!!!
Old February 5, 2011, 06:51 AM   #6
BfloBill

I tried a red dot for a couple years (Simmons) for close range shooting they are great. Fast target aquisition, easy to keep both eyes open. For medium ranges they work well too. But for farther ranges (85-90 yds.+) you may find that the dot covers a larger area than the group you/your rifle can shoot.
If you are only using it for short to medium ranges, you'll like it.