The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 8, 2009, 08:40 PM   #1
Doodlebugger45

Questions about Lil Gun

I am searching for loads for my 454 Casull that will propel a 300 gr bullet (I have both Hornady XTP Mag JHP and hard cast lead bullets) at around 1300-1400 fps. I have plenty of load data for W296 and H110, but that stuff can't really be loaded down to the velocities I seek. I really don't want loads in the 1600-1800 fps range.

I know that 2400 is the classic powder for the big bore magnums if you don't want the power of H110/W296. Unfortunately, none of my dealers has had 2400 on the shelves for over a year. I buy what I can find and so far I have a good supply of H110, IMR 4227 (which I am starting to really like), TiteGroup, Trail Boss, W231, and Unique.

Finally, last week I found a can of Lil Gun and I'm hoping it will work well in my 454 as well as my 480 Ruger. Both of them are BFR revolvers so they should be pretty strong. But now that I have a can of Lil Gun, I have read some negatives about it.

Does anyone know how severe the barrel erosion problem really is with Lil Gun? Does it happen with hot loads or more with mild loads?

Is Lil Gun as "spikey" as H110/W296? I have read that with H110, you really can't go very low at all. You have to keep the powder weight right in the sweetspot which is pretty close to max pressure and velocity. Can I get a Lil Gun load that goes down to 1300 fps with the cast bullets?

I am assuming that I need LP Magnum primers for Lil Gun correct?

I haven't tried them yet, but I am starting to wonder if I might be better off just loading 45 Colt brass with those same bullets. It appears I have a lot of options using the 45 Colt brass to get around 1300-1400 fps. I don't know if the accuracy will be as good in a revolver chambered for the Casull, but I intend to find out.
Old December 8, 2009, 10:36 PM   #2
CraigC

Lil Gun is the wrong powder for what you want. Don't have a plethora of .454 data on hand but you'll be able to get 1300fps out of Unique or Titegroup.
Old December 9, 2009, 11:15 AM   #3
Doodlebugger45

I have seen a couple of loads with Unique and TiteGroup for the 300 gr jacketed bullets that got up to around 1200 fps. That would be OK I think, but I didn't know if I could use the same powder charge for the cast bullets.

After doing some more reading, I'm not quite sure what this Lil'Gun stuff is good for after all. It looks like it's in the same league as H110/W296 as far as optimal pressure ranges. Maybe it will work good in my 480 Ruger loads.
Old December 9, 2009, 01:15 PM   #4
CraigC

You'll have a lot of pressure to play with at that level. Jacketed data would be fine, cast bullets will just give you a little more velocity.

Lil Gun will typically give you the highest velocities at the lowest pressure with the heaviest bullets. If you study heavy bullet data, you'll see that with the heavier slugs, it beats H110/296 for velocity and pressure. Although the difference is really minimal. It's just another option for max or near-max loads.
Old December 9, 2009, 02:41 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

I believe Unique and 4227 should be your powders of choice.