The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 31, 2009, 12:17 PM   #1
SGHOTH

Lock N' Load With R. Lee Ermey

FYI

Tonight (7/31) on the History channel @ 9:00.

A new show on guns for those who miss there mail call fix.

Looks like the first show is on machine guns.
Old July 31, 2009, 01:09 PM   #2
KLRANGL

Saw the one on artillery last week... was pretty cool actually, with lots of slow motion vids of different artillery pieces in action. The facts weren't 100% correct, but nothing major. Definitely on the DVR list...
Old July 31, 2009, 01:50 PM   #3
Rich Miranda

Thanks for the reminder, I just Tivoed it.
Old July 31, 2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Right, the first one was on the history of field artillery. I thought it was done very well and was enjoyable. Some interesting artillery coming to a theatre near you (or at least near me since I live in ear shot of Quantico. Believe me, we get an earful often.)

In the works is a motorized howitzer that will be able to fire 4 or 5 shots at a target, a few seconds apart, and yet have them all hit at the same time. The charge and elevation are computer/GPS controlled to achieve that. Amazing!
Old July 31, 2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Rich Miranda

Mal, I recall an episode of Future Weapons (I think) that showed a mostly-standard mobile howitzer that fired shells with a built-in guidance system and some type of fins capable of steering the shell. Even when deliberately fired 400 feet off target, it hit the target.

Artillery is scary...
Old July 31, 2009, 02:34 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
In the works is a motorized howitzer that will be able to fire 4 or 5 shots at a target, a few seconds apart, and yet have them all hit at the same time. The charge and elevation are computer/GPS controlled to achieve that. Amazing!
Abrams does that already doesn't it?

The artillery show was a good one. I want a gun that will blow up (4) 55 gallon drums with one shot!
Old July 31, 2009, 02:44 PM   #7
#18indycolts

Quote:
With R. Lee Ermey
he's awesome.

"Private Pyle has dishonored himself and dishonored the platoon. I have tried to help him. But I have failed. I have failed because YOU have not helped me. YOU people, have not given Private Pyle the proper motivation! So, from now on, whenever Private Pyle screws up, I will not punish him! I will punish all of YOU! And the way I see it ladies, you owe me for ONE JELLY DOUGHNUT, NOW GET DOWN ON YOUR FACES!"
Old July 31, 2009, 03:37 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Unless there have been dramatic technological improvements in the Abrams, I don't think it can do that. Understand what the new howitzer can do - fire 4 shots, seconds apart, have them all hit at the same time. That means the barrel has to lob the first one, lower a few degrees, fire a second one at a lower trajectory and probably a slower projectile velocity, then do that 2 more times (the later firings might require higher velocities) - all in a few seconds. Isn't the Abrams still loaded by humans? I doubt they could load it fast enough, let alone input 4 different firing solutions to cause all the projectiles to hit at the same time.
Old July 31, 2009, 03:52 PM   #9
gun_king

Yea I am watching Mail Call and I saw it advertised to premiere tonight as well. Sounds awesome. I can't wait.
Old July 31, 2009, 04:39 PM   #10
chris in va

Quote:
It can, but not by itself. Takes several tanks to do the trick. The mobile howitzer can do it solo as it has a rapid reload rate.
Old July 31, 2009, 04:45 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Abrams, I don't think it can do that. Understand what the new howitzer can do - fire 4 shots, seconds apart, have them all hit at the same time.
Yeah, not 4, I vaguely remember a show from a while back that said it could do that with 2 shells. I could be misremembering.

Does make me wonder, though, just what kind of target would require (4) 155mm shells to hit the same spot at the same time.
Old July 31, 2009, 05:01 PM   #12
Bud Helms

I thought the Abrams can autonomously fire multiple ropunds at the same target while underway, but the rounds get there when they get there, i.e., no coincident impact.
Old July 31, 2009, 05:16 PM   #13
alloy

Would the title be a coincidence, doesn't he shoot for Hornady?
Old July 31, 2009, 06:05 PM   #14
grymster2007

I thought I'd seen the multiple rounds hitting at the same time before and here's a little blurb on it from Wiki. I thought it was a US thing, but maybe I saw something on the Archer.

MRSI - Wiki
Quote:
MRSI

This is a modern version of the earlier "time on target" concept in which fire from different weapons was timed to arrive on target at the same time. It is possible for modern computer-controlled artillery to fire more than one volley at a target and have all the shells arrive simultaneously, which is called MRSI (Multiple Rounds Simultaneous Impact). This is because there is more than one trajectory for the rounds to fly to any given target—typically one is below 45 degrees from horizontal and the other is above it, and if you can vary the amount of propellant with each shell, you can create multiple trajectories. Because the higher trajectories cause the shells to arc higher into the air, they take longer to reach the target and so if the shells are fired on these trajectories for the first volleys (starting with the shell with the most propellant and working down) and then after the correct pause more volleys are fired on the lower trajectories, the shells will all arrive at the same time. This is useful because many more shells can land on the target with no warning. With traditional volleys along the same trajectory, anybody at the target point will have a certain amount of time (however long it takes to reload and re-fire the guns) to run away or take cover between volleys. In addition, if guns in more than one location are firing on one target, with careful timing it can be arranged for all their shells to land at the same time for the same reason.

Examples of MRSI guns are South Africa's Denel G6-52 (which can land six rounds simultaneously at targets at least 25 km away), Germany's Panzerhaubitze 2000 (which can land five rounds simultaneously at targets at least 17 km away) and Slovakia's 155 mm SpGH ZUZANA model 2000. The Archer project (Developed by BAE-Systems in Sweden), a 155 mm howitzer on a wheeled chassis claiming to be able to deliver up to 7 shells on target simultaneously from the same gun. The twin barrelled AMOS mortar system, developed in Finland, is a 120 mm twin barreled mortar capable of 7 + 7 shells MRSI. The United States Crusader program (now canceled) was slated to have MRSI capability.

MRSI was a stunt popular at artillery demonstrations in the 1960s. With its increased risk of a mistake, (needing a range to the target that gives time for several rounds to be fired and only useful against a few types of target in an era where PPD fuzes are becoming standard) whether MRSI is still merely a stunt or has real tactical value over other methods is moot.
Oh yeah... I'll be recording the Gunny tonight.
Old July 31, 2009, 08:00 PM   #15
Shane Tuttle
Staff

As cool as the howizter was, I still liked the "old stuff".

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old July 31, 2009, 11:20 PM   #16
KLRANGL

Quote:
I still liked the "old stuff".
Amen to that... nothing beats a good old 12 pounder Napoleon
Old July 31, 2009, 11:40 PM   #17
dstyle47

i don't know if it was current or future technology, but when i went to the national scout jamboree in 2000. The army had an exhibit, and i vividly remember one which showed how their abrams tank could indeed do (iirc 4 shots and have them land at the same point at the same time) the video actually went on to show 8 tanks all do it at one point, for 32 shots hitting one area at the exact same time. I remember being very impressed by this. I still am. The tanks in the video were virtual so i don't know if that was a future tech or if that could have been done then at that time. That was almost 10 years ago though....
Old August 1, 2009, 11:16 AM   #18
Glenn E. Meyer

I might be old fashioned but I would like to see the reliability of so many computer based systems. I wonder if there is a backup mode so you can do the math on a calculator and fire the thing when the screen goes Blue Death.

I was also watching a show on the A-7. They said it cost $2.5 million way back when. An F-22 costs 100 times that. Of course, there is inflation but would we be better off with 100 of those or one silver bullet plane?
Old August 1, 2009, 11:50 AM   #19
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Come on Glenn....
Quote:
when the screen goes Blue Death.
Geez buddy, they ain't using Windose 98 no more... they done went and upgraded to Vista by now!
Brent
Old August 1, 2009, 12:12 PM   #20
Ian0351

I'll have to find a way to watch that, unfortunately I work second shift on Fridays. I miss Mail Call, When I was in Boot at San Diego my platoon was actually yelled at by the man himself for our 'nasty' drill. He of course attained Staff Sergeant Tillman's permission first, who was not the happiest Drill Instructor for the remainder of the evening. R. Lee is a god down at the MCRD!

Semper Fidelis
Old August 1, 2009, 01:51 PM   #21
Buzzcook

Nice shows. The one on machine guns claimed that the .30-06 was the first to use a boat tail. But I don't mind that too much.
It would have been nice if they'd talked about the Hotchkiss and a couple of others that they didn't have time for.
Same thing for artillery, a French 75 would have fit in good. Probably they are constrained by the need to have guns Emory can shoot.
Old August 1, 2009, 02:18 PM   #22
Dave R

Great show. A lot like mail call, but with a better budget ;-)

I love the slo-mo sequences and multiple cameras on the impact zone. Better production values than mail call, and all to the better.

And on the Machine Gun show, I loved when Gunny picked up the water-cooled M1917 to prove that Basilone could've done it on Guadalcanal. And then called out the individual who told him it was impossible.

Go Gunny!
Old August 1, 2009, 03:22 PM   #23
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
I might be old fashioned but I would like to see the reliability of so many computer based systems. I wonder if there is a backup mode so you can do the math on a calculator and fire the thing when the screen goes Blue Death.
I was wondering something similar the other day. In addition to the blue screen of death, what happens when the batteries crap out? How many folks around that can still use a slide rule?

NRA Life Member
Old August 1, 2009, 05:03 PM   #24
Ruger4570

Well at least we have a choice, the Yellin' Gunny of the Whispering Seal, Mack.
Old August 1, 2009, 05:36 PM   #25
kozak6

It's a good show. I saw both episodes last night.

R Lee Ermey is quite a character .