The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 19, 2005, 09:01 PM   #1
rugerdude

Help me pick a skeet gun please!

I just recently joined a skeet shooting team (the sand springs claybusters in NE Oklahoma) and I am using a maverick 88 (cheap knockoff of a mossy 500) in 12 GA. Last weekend I broke 21 and 19 out of 25 in skeet and two 19s in trap. This was my first time shooting trap and I was using a modified choke. I even had the modified choke in for about half of the round of skeet that I shot the 21 in!

kinda off subject but I'm proud of myself (I've only been skeet shooting 4 times)

Anyway, I think I might be able to get my father to buy me a new gun but I can't decide. I would really like a pump-action because they are cheaper and I'm used to them, it is also just more fun to use one. Here are my options:

Winchester 1200 or 1300 (I can't remember exactly which bu I saw it at wal-mart) a friend of mine has a 1200 so I could try it out first.

Remington 870 express: I used a 20 guage model and I like it.

Mossberg 500: has the advantage of being very simmilar to my present gun.

Benelli nova: I have heard some bad and good things about this one so I'm not sure about it but it certainly looks nice.

Which would be best in your opinion?

Thanks in advance,
rugerdude

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old April 20, 2005, 04:48 PM   #2
kudu

Most pumpgun shooters are at a slight disadvantage on the skeet range because of the time involved with pumping. Some folks can pump faster than an auto cycles and get on target as fast as an O/U or auto shooter.

A dedicated skeet gun and shooter will burn up more ammo in a month than what most guns cost. If I had to get a pump for skeet it would be an 870 in perhaps a used wingmaster version, I don't care for express's. AN auto would be a better choice, or even some of the import O/U's that can be had for under $500. You get what you pay for in an auto or O/U. An 870 will outlast the shooter, but is not the best choice for skeet.
Old April 20, 2005, 07:59 PM   #3
HSMITH

The 1200 isn't much better of a gun than you have already. Neither is the Mossy 500.

The 1300 and the 870 are both good guns. Either would serve you well.

If you really want to shoot skeet and shoot a lot of it getting very good in the process I would advise you to go bet a Beretta 390, 391 or a Winchester SuperX2. I have shot a lot of skeet, and IMO the auto is the way to go in 12 guage.
Old April 30, 2005, 05:22 PM   #4
Skeetin'870

Quote:
The 1200 isn't much better of a gun than you have already. Neither is the Mossy 500.
I disagree I own both a Winchester 1200 and TWO 870's wingmaster and express and i care much more for the winchester over the maverick
Old April 30, 2005, 06:28 PM   #5
Wildalaska

1. Check budget
2. Find guns in your price range.
3. Figure out which one feels best to you.
4. Buy it.

In terms of quality, figure this as a rough guide best to worst:

1. Anything English,or custom built, bring $50,000 and a smile
2. Any Krieghoff, Perazzi
3. Brownings, Berettas, Benellis
4. Winchesters/Remingtons
5. Mossbergs
6. Huglus, Charles dalys and suchlike junk

If you want a bargian, I have a Wingmaster TB trap on auction arms right now with real nice wood, bet it runs at about $399

WildjustgotoutbidonaparkerAlaska
Old April 30, 2005, 07:34 PM   #6
Ruger4570

I would agree with the posts that advise an auto shotgun over a pump. Don't get me wrong, I have 3 pump guns 2 Rems and an Ithaca. I have used the pumps on trap, but I just prefer not to have to work so hard trying to pump another shell in the chamber to catch the last bird on doubles. I have seem a few that are very fast at it, I am not, so I don't bother. I usually use a Browning Citori or my Beretta 390 for skeet. There are always good deals on new and used Rem 1100's which are just fine for skeet and trap. In fact, I think they are the most popular I have seen after O/U's. Good luck and enjoy the sport, it is a hoot
Old April 30, 2005, 09:07 PM   #7
rugerdude

My dad answered this one for me just today in the form of a stoeger condor. He actually bought it for himself (I'm the only gunowner in my family) it's the first gun he has owned since he was my age. It is really tough to break open but it hasn't been oiled yet, or broken in.

thanks for all of the replies,
rugerdude

Old May 1, 2005, 02:08 PM   #8
AnthonyRSS

I bought my girlfriend a Stoeger 20gauge and she loves it. We haven't had any problems out of it. They aren't the prettiest, but they get the job done.
I shoot skeet with a slightly modified 870 and have no trouble shooting doubles. I like taking my pump and outshooting the guys with $3000 Berettas.
Old May 2, 2005, 07:19 AM   #9
rugerdude

I like doing that to because my pupm shotgun is the cheapest thing you can shoot skeet with! 140 dollars!

I find nothing wrong with the looks of the stoeger, and I like the wood and that fat front grip. To me it is a much better gun than a friend of mine's 700 dollar berreta because I can't get my head down on that stock at all, and a gun that just doesn't fit, no matter the cost is not the best gun to use.

Just wondering, do you immediateley shuck out the shell after firing even on singles? My frirends and I do when we use pumps, me especially. They tell me it almost looks like i'm using a semi-auto!

Old May 2, 2005, 05:47 PM   #10
Lawyer Daggit

The one thing most other entries miss out on is 'fit'- whatever you choose the shotgun must fit you and become a part of you.

Personally I would go for a semi auto or O/U.
Old May 4, 2005, 11:05 PM   #11
biosciguy

I gotta agree with wildalaska's gun buying procedure. A browning citori or charles daly copy would do you just fine...the question is, is it in your budget?

I'd go with a double barrel or semi-auto however. I used to shoot a lot of skeet, and I had a hard time shooting with a pump, since it can slow you down that fraction of a second you may need.

I would suggest buying a used short barrel remington 1100/11-87. If you can find a double that fits you, even better, just because I find they are balanced better than autos and they are easier to clean and dont jam.

my 2 cents.