The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 17, 2004, 08:16 AM   #1
Karaya1

Newbie wanting to shoot IDPA/IPSC

Hey everyone, i recently bought my first handgun, a Sig p228 and have been shooting it extensively for the past few weeks.
I really want to get into shooting IDPA and IPSC and have a few questions.
First of all, equipment.
I have 12 magazines for my p228, all SIG factory.
From what i understand in both IDPA and IPSC you can only use 10 round magazines and i have 9 of those, is that enough?
I need a holster, i would like to get a good one for under $100 that perhaps would be ample for CC later on. However if that is not feasable i will just get that one later on.
Mag pouches, same deal, i need recommendations.
Eye protection, what do people recommend? I always used oakley sunglasses at the range, but i do not think that is ample and want something i can rely on for my eyes..

Lastly, i live in desolate WY, while i live in one of the semi-populated parts(bought 75k people within 100 miles of me) there is not a club within 275 miles in WY, which in all reality isn't that far and i would be willing to drive that for a match. However i feel a better option would be in Colorado as i live only 75 miles from Fort Collins and 120 miles from Denver. Surely there is some clubs in that area, but i can't find them, so any websites y'all could pass along to me would be great.

Thanks guys!
Old December 17, 2004, 09:28 AM   #2
Number 6

Welcome to the club

whichever one you join.

You have ample magazines. You could even use "large capacity" magazines in USPSA (IPSC) events, so long as you did not load more than 10 rounds in them.

A Kydex holster should work fine. Talk to people using SIGs at the matches and see what equipment seems to work well for them. It will at least point you in the right direction.

Here's the USPSA website: http://www.uspsa.org/

Have fun!
Old December 17, 2004, 10:18 AM   #3
ampleworks

Umm you can use more than 10rds in USPSA.

Many clubs will also just overlook hicaps in IPDA simply for the fact they'd rather go on the honor system than force you to use 10rd magazines. Just as long as your first mag only has 11 and the other ones to be used for reloading have 10. Its not exactly *hard* for the RO to count if you shot 11 or 15 since your last reload.

Don't try to use a holster for competition and concealed carry...please. First we're talking the difference between probably OWB and IWB and I don't even think IWB is legal in USPSA. If you want to get something simple, go with a Fobus paddle or belt holster. Those can be had for $20 and there's no use in spending a ton of money just starting out.

I advise on grabbing 1 or 2 fobus double mag holders, preferably in belt attachment style.

One last thing, practice, practice, practice. Go in your room, make sure the weapon is unloaded, practice dropping mags and putting another in, practice draws so that when you bring it up, its already sighted in.

Pick a lightswitch or any other nicknack on the wall, dryfire, drop mag, reload, bring your sights back up, did you hit that lightswitch again?

If you want to shoot IDPA, practice magazine reloading with retention (not letting the mag drop to the ground). More info can be found on their site about this.
Old December 17, 2004, 11:05 AM   #4
Jim Watson

Your P228 is fine for IDPA Stock Service Pistol or IPSC/USPSA Production.
You may USE your full capacity magazines, you just can't load more than ten rounds for those Divisions. Except that you may load the FIRST IDPA magazine with eleven so as to start with 10+1 in the gun. USPSA doesn't allow that, just take along an extra mag in your pocket so you can chamber a round, load a full mag, and be ready to shoot with the minimum of fumbling around.

There are club locators on the organization websites.
www.IDPA.com and click on "IDPA affiliated organizations" and pick WY or CO on the map.
www.USPSA.org and either enter your ZIP code or click on "Where can I find a match?"
Don't search on IPSC, that is the international organization and we do things differently in America.

There are a lot of brands of Kydex holsters at reasonable prices. Blade Tech, Comp-Tac, Ready Tactical, Talon Tactical, probably others, but I have seen or used those. Fobus and Uncle Mike will get you by. They all sell matching mag carriers. You are allowed only two magazines on your belt in IDPA. USPSA calls for more, four is probably enough. Single carriers are more flexible about getting them located conveniently on your belt.

You need a stiff belt, the Wilderness nylon belt is very popular.
I wear Randolph Ranger shooting glasses but there are a lot of different choices. Don't wear a heavy tint sunglass to shoot unless you are terribly bothered by glare. Mine are light yellow for contrast.

You must know how to operate and shoot your gun.
You must know how to safely draw your gun, from under a concealment garment for IDPA.
You must know how to reload smoothly and safely - two different ways for IDPA.
You must know how to move around with a gun safely, including shooting on the move.
You must know how to shoot accurately and safely from different positions, kneeling, prone, around cover (especially cover in IDPA.)

A LOT of that stuff can be practiced dryfire. Your family may think you are peculiar for crouching behind your easy chair dryfiring at the bad guys on TV, but it will help you.

There is a lot to learn, but don't be intimidated, we all had to start somewhere.

I have four priorities:
1. Be safe. Don't shoot anybody, don't scare anybody, don't get disqualified for a safety rule violation.
2. Execute. Every Course of Fire (CoF) will be different. Pay attention to the instructions and walkthrough and shoot it right. Don't get procedural penalties.
3. Hit the target. Hit it in the middle. Shots outside the IDPA "zero down" or IPSC "A" zones are not worth as much to you.
4. Move along. Your time to complete the CoF is your score in IDPA (plus half a second for every point dropped, plus penalties) and is used to calculate your score (along with score on the targets and penalties) in IPSC. Don't run before you can walk, LITERALLY, but don't dawdle around, either.

And PAY ATTENTION. As a new shooter you will get lots of help. Pay attention and have a good time.
Old December 17, 2004, 12:15 PM   #5
Number 6

Oh?

"Umm you can use more than 10rds in USPSA."

Umm, not for Production, which is where a SIG would normally be."

" Just as long as your first mag only has 11 and the other ones to be used for reloading have 10."

No. Logical as that is, the rule is now ALL mags must have no more than 10 cartridges in them when the shooter comes to the line.
Old December 17, 2004, 01:21 PM   #6
RickB

The new USPSA rules, that went into effect this month, allow 10 rounds in each mag at the start signal; in L10 and Production divisions, you may now load and make ready from a mag with 11 rounds in it.
The equipment rules for IDPA Stock Service Pistol, and USPSA Production are almost identical. If you get a good holster and vertical mag pouches (for four mags), you are good to go for both games. In IDPA you can wear only two mags on your belt, and in USPSA, four 10-rounders, in addition to 11 rounds in the gun, are plenty for any legal course of fire.
Old December 17, 2004, 06:19 PM   #7
al503

In production class (uspsa) can your mag pouches be angled or do they have to be vertical? I have the blade-tech mag pouches and you can angle them very slightly. http://blade-tech.com/frontend?comma...ectionId=45396

I've seen the cr speed single mag pouches that can be angled much more. http://shootersconnection.com/store/...dab7f74f1b477f

Any thoughts on the cr speed and/or does anyone here use these?
Old December 17, 2004, 09:42 PM   #8
ampleworks

Quote:
2. Execute. Every Course of Fire (CoF) will be different. Pay attention to the instructions and walkthrough and shoot it right. Don't get procedural penalties.
Couldn't even begin to stress that enough, ask questions, ask them often. If you don't understand something keep asking until you do understand it. Almost everyone at smaller local clubs understand new shooters and are more than eager to help out in any way possible!
Old December 19, 2004, 06:49 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

buy a really good belt FIRST

$20 holster, $10 mag pouches, safety first, have fun.

Go to a match, watch, ask, learn, enjoy.

Often folks will lend you gear (except that SIG is a slightly-more-rare platform).

I shoot the occasional USPSA match using my Galco Royal Guard.....

We all once started, ay?
Old December 19, 2004, 09:51 PM   #10
eerw

Hello..

for Colorado..look here..

http://www.ecouspsa.com/schedule.html
Weld, Boulder, Clear Creek, Aurora , Ramah and Pueblo West are where the USPSA Eastern Colorado Section clubs are..all the contact info is on that webpage..for IDPA its Clear Creek and Pueblo West..

Hope to see you out on the range..
Old December 21, 2004, 01:45 AM   #11
Karaya1

TY Eerw, that site is exactly what i was looking for.
I am hoping to make a few of those boulder and greeley matches, thats only about 90 minutes away!!