The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 12, 2012, 05:27 PM   #1
ngzcaz

I can't be the only one...

that's having problems finding a pump to fit my 5"8" size. LOP is Ok at 14 inches but when I grap the wood to cycle the slide it feels like I'm reaching too far and is very uncomfortable. It also seems like I'm looking up at the barrel. I qualified many times on an old Remington 12 gauge pump with rifle sights on the front and rear and thought nothing of the sight plane. Now at 67 its a big deal. Btw, that old Remington shot slugs offhand at 50 yards that guys find hard to match today with fancy rifled slug barrels. Ammo was Remington sluggers.
I have an old 16 gauge SxS that fits like a glove but the price and selection of ammo is increasingly hard to find. So far I've held and cycled Remington 870, Weatherby Upland and Mossberg 500. I've resigned myself to putting front sights on whatever I get to solve the sight plane issue but I can't seem to find the length. Any ideas ?

And I can't afford a semi
Old June 12, 2012, 05:49 PM   #2
zippy13

There are two basic types of pump grips and they can be seen in the early evolution of the Winchester Model-12. The first type is the basic corn cob grip. Like you, many found the corn cob too far forward and the extended grip was introduced. Look for a pump where the grip extends under the action when in the rear position. With an extended grip, you don't have to reach as far forward as with the corn cob style.
Old June 12, 2012, 06:42 PM   #3
ngzcaz

Yeah, that's it exactly. I'll bet a lot of people just live with it and aren't as good as what they might be with a properly fitting shotgun. Any idea which of the modern shotguns have that grip ? I even tried a youth model but the LOP was a little too short.
Old June 12, 2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Gunplummer

How about an old bolt action? I do O.K. with my old Western Auto .410.
Old June 12, 2012, 07:08 PM   #5
oneounceload

Ironic that at 5-8 you are at that "average" that the gun makers design their guns for and yet you say they do not fit
Old June 12, 2012, 07:11 PM   #6
zippy13

The non-tactical 870s have extended grips as do some of the Mossberg 500 models. The Remingtons seem to have a little more extension than the Mossbergs. Check their web site pictures and you can get an idea of how much extension the grips have on the various models. Obviously, a bottom ejector model, like the I-37 or BPS can't accommodate an extended grip.
Old June 12, 2012, 07:22 PM   #7
TheKlawMan

ngzcaz, Hello!

Quote:
It also seems like I'm looking up at the barrel.
I wonder if that is part of the problem and if this indicates that your head is a bit far back on a comb that drops your eye more the futher back you rest your cheek on an angled comb stock. Is it possible that you haven't shot for a long time and don't have it quite seated in the pocket of your shoulder?