The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 18, 2011, 10:20 PM   #1
4T4MAG

Scratches on stainless steel SBH

I am looking for a way to polish/remove the scratches on my Ruger. I was on a pack trip and I had it in a saddle bag where it was scratched where my holster did not protect it.

Does anyone know how a good way to polish/buff/remove these scratches. There are all mainly surface scratches and are not deep. Some have suggested steelwool.

4T4MAG

How do I post a pict in the message so you don't have to click to open?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruger.jpg (71.8 KB, 66 views)
Old February 18, 2011, 10:59 PM   #2
tmlynch

I have always heard that chicks dig scars. Maybe these marks give your revolver more appeal to the ladies. You could leave it as is, and tell everyone about the extreme conditions through which you packed it.

Regards,
Tom
Old February 19, 2011, 12:08 AM   #3
k4swb

That looks nasty!!! Try ScotchBrite pads or buffing wheels. Carefully. They make different types and they work well for this type of thing.
Old February 19, 2011, 10:40 AM   #4
NESHOOTER

Quote:
That looks nasty!!! Try ScotchBrite pads or buffing wheels. Carefully. They make different types and they work well for this type of thing.
I use scotchbrite (green) go lightly and with the one direction only, works better with the length or said firearm. I use this method with gun oil. If you must go cross grain (buffing you'll see the difference) But it will come right out.
Old February 23, 2011, 08:32 PM   #5
astorbilt

From the looks of the scratches, your'e going to have to remove some meat.
Use 200, 400, 600 wet or dry in that order to restore surface. To match original grain you could lightly rub in one direction in reverse order w/ the wet or dry paper. Or rub with a scotch brite pad. (Green or burgundy) to match the grain to the rest of the piece.
The beauty of a SS Ruger is, once you remove the scratches it's easy to scuff/buff/scuff/buff until you get it right.
Have fun...will be easier than you think to fix.

Tags
buff , polish , stainless