The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 4, 2001, 11:20 PM   #1
Mark M33

Found a Nova 3.5 inch Special purpose 18.5 inch barrel with rear adjustable and front sight at my local gun shop, $389.00, is that a good price? Will accept Benelli mag +2 extension without modification. I decided to leave my 870 ESM as is. M33
Old February 5, 2001, 07:22 PM   #2
hksigwalther

That's what I paid for mine in northeast Ohio (gun shop). I don't have one yet but the Recoil Reducer that fits in the stock would be of great benefit.
Old February 5, 2001, 10:34 PM   #3
ar-180

I really am smitten with that shotgun, and think that it will be my next shotgun. How have your experiences been with it so far? I would like the one with the ghost ring sights, are they the same sights as the other tactical models? Thanks for your help....
Old February 5, 2001, 11:59 PM   #4
MiniZ

That might be a good price in where you are located, but I bought mine for 319.00(UT). After shooting five rounds of 2 1/2 mag slugs through it, I promptly went down and put the Benelli recoil reducer in the buttstock(about 50 bucks).
I suggest if you do buy one, check it carefully. The first one I brought home had a defective trigger group. Luckily the owner of the store swapped me straight across for a functional unit, rather than sending mine back for repair.
Old February 6, 2001, 07:25 PM   #5
hksigwalther

MiniZ,

Is that with the mag extension (my cost is with the mag ext)? What kind of defect did your first one have?

Oh, the mag extension I got is a 3 rounder. Not advertised by Benelli but there it was on the wall in factory shrink wrap. I'll post a pic of it this weekend.
Old February 6, 2001, 09:54 PM   #6
MiniZ

hksigwalther:
The price I paid was without an extension, so 389.00 sounds good.
The problem with my trigger group was a missing sear spring(coil spring under the sear). When you racked the gun, the hammer would not catch the sear, as there was nothing to "push" the sear into engagement. As a result, the bolt would not lock into battery either. I knew that was the problem(after stripping the trigger group), but I acted like a dumbass at the dealer for fear he might think that I broke it taking the trigger grouup apart.
Probably just a fluke occurance, but just to be safe, make sure the action locks up, and dry fire it a couple of times before you take it home.
Z
Old February 11, 2001, 03:22 AM   #7
don vito

the slide(pump) ratles when u shake mine, i tried tightening the screws but the problem is still there
other vise great gun
Old February 12, 2001, 08:55 PM   #8
hksigwalther

NOVA

Here's the 4+3 round extended mag Nova (as compared to other Super90s).

I was at thw gun shop to pick up a P7 and noticed the recoil reduction accessory for the Nova and bought it.

Old February 13, 2001, 01:51 PM   #9
ar-180

Wow, that's a nice collection. How does the Nova compare to the other Benelli shotguns?
Old February 13, 2001, 07:25 PM   #10
hksigwalther

As compared to the Super90s, it is a bit more noisy. The foreward grip rattles a bit but that is true for all pump-onlys. Otherwise the quality if the fit and finish of the parts is up to Benelli quality levels. Way above my Moss 590s. The quality is better than the 870s and 1300s I've seen at the stores and shops, IMO.

Keep in mind, though, that the Nova is less than half the price of an M3 in the same configuration (post-ban). You don't really notice all of the plastic unless you are looking closely at the receiver. If you'll notice, the grip/stock profile is almost identical to the standard stock of the M1 Practical.
Old February 13, 2001, 11:29 PM   #11
gaijin

hksigwalther,

I notice on your M1 Tactical that you have a mag extension (only legal on pre-ban), but the new ghost ring sights (post-ban). Any clarification?

Old February 14, 2001, 07:18 PM   #12
hksigwalther

Sight was installed. I couldn't find anything wrong on the internet (law-wise) with installing ghost rings on a pre-ban so I went ahead and did it.

Hmm. It looks like I left the rifle sighted M3 in pump mode.