The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 27, 2008, 12:27 PM   #1
IM_Lugger

Question about Glock 29

I'm considering a Glock 29 10mm and have a couple questions;

1) Since G29 can use G20 magazines, would a G20 barrel also fit in the G29?

2) I've never handled a Glock 29, but did try the G20 and didn't really like the how it felt in my hand... Does the G29 have a smaller grip? I understand it's shorter, but is it just as fat? Also does the grip angle feel the same on both guns, I'm guessig/hoping it wouldn't because of the shorter grip. btw I would get the magazine grip extension for it...

3) Is there a cavity in the grip behind the mag well on the G29 like on the full size models?

thanks!
Old March 27, 2008, 12:30 PM   #2
dwatts47

Quote:
I'm considering a Glock 29 10mm and have a couple questions;

1) Since G29 can use G20 magazines, would a G20 barrel also fit in the G29?

2) I've never handled a Glock 29, but did try the G20 and didn't really like the how it felt in my hand... Does the G29 have a smaller grip? I understand it's shorter, but is it just as fat? Also does the grip angle feel the same on both guns, I'm guessig/hoping it wouldn't because of the shorter grip. btw I would get the magazine grip extension for it...

3) Is there a cavity in the grip behind the mag well on the G29 like on the full size models?
No, the full size barrels of all models will not work in the baby guns, recoil lugs in the wrong spot. If there were a "model 23" medium frame size of the 10mm, then its barrel could be used in the baby gun, as the 23's barre will fit the 27.

Yes is it just as fat, it can not be physically narrower and still accept the same magazine. And with Glock "SF" means 'short frame' not 'slim frame' so even if they made a 29 SF it would still be as fat as the 20, just not as long across the entire grip.

Yes there is a cavity, but no lanyard hole. So you could have it filled and reduced by robar, Bowie Tactical, etc...
Old March 27, 2008, 12:49 PM   #3
IM_Lugger

thanks!

what about the grip angle? does it feel the same regardless the shorter grip?
Old March 27, 2008, 12:58 PM   #4
dwatts47

The baby guns have the same angle but if you're used to the grip it will be pretty different as even the baby mag extension hits you around mid palm.

If you use the full size mags it is identical...

but for the quality/reliabity I've got nothing but praise for baby Glocks... Carry my 27 daily.
Old March 27, 2008, 01:48 PM   #5
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Size-wise, the G29 is about the same as a G23. It's much larger than the baby small-frame Glocks (26/27/33).
Old March 27, 2008, 02:06 PM   #6
IM_Lugger

....so if I don't like the ergos of the G20 does it pretty much mean G29 wouldn't fit ether?

ps: G29 pics wecome (esp next to other guns)
Old March 27, 2008, 02:18 PM   #7
dwatts47

Quote:
....so if I don't like the ergos of the G20 does it pretty much mean G29 wouldn't fit ether?
A very accurate statement IMHO.
Old March 27, 2008, 03:07 PM   #8
HighValleyRanch

I love my glock 29, but can't afford to shoot it too much.
Don't reload yet and would get another barrel for it, so it's just one of my woods CCW guns right now.
It is fatter than the 26/27 models, but not by much. I can still pocket carry it, and it shoots good for me. I have medium size hands, but the trigger reach is fine as is the short reset. Even shooting one handed was no problem.
The fatness is the price you pay for 10 rounds of 10mm in a pocket gun!
Shot like this right out of the box, without any mods.
Old March 27, 2008, 03:09 PM   #9
IM_Lugger

hmm... what I didn't like about the G20 grip was the curve that full size Glocks have combined with the fat grip.Nnever handled the G21SF but I don't really have a problem with G17/22... This is why I asked if the grip angle feels the same on G20& 29; I figured if it's just fat it should be OK as long as it doesn't curve the same...
Old March 27, 2008, 05:21 PM   #10
HighValleyRanch

The "problem" with the shorter 29 grip is that it has the same curve as the 20, except that it is higher (due to the short grip) than the longer 20.
So your hand will not feel the "hump" on the longer 20 grips as on the 29.

You can deal with this in a couple of ways. Getting a 20 and cutting it shorter to the 29 length sorta removes the hump.
I modified my 19 to a 26 grip and it feels more like the original 1st gen model 17 than a 26.
Or you can do a grip reduction. You can fill and grind or some guys are getting great results with a melt. Heating the rear hump until it is soft and flattening it on a hard surface. i've seen some pics and they look great.

But no matter how much of that hump you remove, it's still going to be thick.

You might consider going over the .357 sig which has ALMOST similar ballistics to the 10mm in a smaller, thinner package.
The glock 33 is same size as the 26.
Old March 28, 2008, 10:00 AM   #11
RecoveringGT'er

The 21 is way too big to be comfortably gripped by my hands. Yet, the 30 fits perfectly. In fact, I carry a 30 for that reason. I'm not really sure why it is different between the full size and chopped version. I think it may be that the circumference of the grip combined with the hump makes me place my hand in an awkward feeling position. (That said, the 21SFs I've shot and handled are much more handy than the standard 21, and I do plan to obtain a 21 SF in the future.)
Old March 28, 2008, 11:36 AM   #12
IM_Lugger

Are the G20a nd G21 100% identical frame size wise? or are there differences?
Old March 28, 2008, 12:04 PM   #13
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM_Lugger
Are the G20 and G21 100% identical frame size wise? or are there differences?
Identical.