The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 21, 2011, 01:59 PM   #1
TacticalGuy

Training Weapons

Haha this is pretty cool, I can get my own RPG-7 Rocket Launcher or M16 Got some pretty detailed stuff, never actually owned or seen one of these things before. This company runs an online training aid/model/replica site (http://www.CombatTrainingAids.com) Do they actually look realistic? Any suggestions or has anyone ever owned/used one? All I'm looking for is a non-firing training model.

Thanks!
Old July 21, 2011, 02:12 PM   #2
C0untZer0

I know DEA agent Lee Paige didn't use one when giving a so called "safety class", and he shot himself in the foot.
Old July 21, 2011, 02:13 PM   #3
aarondhgraham

"hat's because he was the only "person qualified to do this" in the room.

I still chuckle when I see that video.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 21, 2011, 02:15 PM   #4
C0untZer0

I do have some experience with the Ivan Bayonet Dummy.

I had to kick sand in it's face and shout "Die you commie bastard !" Over and over for 30 minutes because I forgot to shave one morning in basic training.
Old July 21, 2011, 02:49 PM   #5
TacticalGuy

Haha

That's quite the punishment for not shaving. ha
Old July 21, 2011, 02:58 PM   #6
TacticalGuy

Lee Paige

Haha I just looked up the video for Lee Paige, talk about the perfect storm of irony.
Old July 21, 2011, 03:25 PM   #7
C0untZer0

In a way he gave a good class in the sense that he probably scared kids out of screwing around with guns.

But he also sent the wrong message that "accidents happen" and even in the hands of professionals guns are dangerous and injure people. That's false. Besides his basic DEA training he'd never taken a class of firearms safety and he'd never done a "train the trainer" course, or taken classes on how to be a firearms safety instructor. He didn't know what he was doing and he was anything but professional.

Going over to someone who knows nothing about firearms and having them glance at the gun and then pronouncing "and see this is a unloaded gun... empty weapon"

Whenever inert firearms can be used for that kind of training they should be. If a firearm with functioning action needs to be used, then it's easy in most cases to take the firing pin out. If someone has to carry while they give a safety class then they should never mix their carry gun / duty gun with the demonstration guns. An instructor souldn't incorporate his carry sidearm into the class.

These inert weapons are fairly cheap! If you're serious about training other people then they are worth the investment.

You can make an argument that as a DEA agent Lee Paige should have been carrying his duty weapon - that's fine. If it would have stayed on his hip that would have been exactly what it was - his duty pistol. But I don't think you can make a case that it was necesary for Lee Paige to bring a loaded gun to a training class as a prop. When he unholstered his duty sidearm - that's what it became: a loaded handgun used as a prop in a training class.

Last edited by C0untZer0; July 21, 2011 at 07:27 PM.

Tags
models , training , training aids , training guns