The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 29, 2010, 09:00 PM   #1
300magman

Considering a M70 action for custom rifle

I'm just curious how much work the actions from the new winchester model 70s need to bring them up to real target rifle standards? I know savage actions can use a bit of work and remingtons really need a lot of help, but what about the new M70s?
Old October 30, 2010, 02:09 AM   #2
Scorch

Any production action will require extensive work to bring it up to target standards. If you want to start with a Model 70 action and then pour several hundred dollars into for truing and accurizing, I advide you to start with a Montana Rifle Company action. It is a clone of the Model 70 (but significantly better made), and the accurizing work is already mostly already done. The prices are very reasonable.
http://www.montanarifleco.com/Long%20actions.html
Taylor Machine
Old October 30, 2010, 03:09 AM   #3
HiBC

There is another very worthy forum calle Accuratereloading.com that I was just introduced to.
They have a category titled Big Bores.If you scroll through it you will find a thread on the Montana Rifleman action.
I would not necessarily jump to any conclusions based on this thread but there may be a caution light to check out.
Myself,I don't know anything about it.
I have been intrigued by this action for quite a while and have mentioned it a few times here,but I have no experience with it.
Precision Shooting has an annual,about 1 1/2 in thick.In one of them is a very detailed article on building a match rifle on an M-70.I believe the title of the article is "The Backup Match Rifle" If I look,I may be able to find the article and post where to find it.
Old October 30, 2010, 06:48 AM   #4
ZeroJunk

I had a rifle built on a pre-64 Model 70 action about twenty years ago. The smith squared the receiver and lapped the lugs as a matter of course. I would think a rifle builder will do that with any action. I really don't know how accurate it could be, the first loads I tried shot really well and I stuck with them. But, it is a rifle for hunting purposes.
Old October 30, 2010, 06:51 AM   #5
pythagorean

If you like the 70 action I'd stick with it. I personally like the 700 Rem action for absolute accuracy in a production rifle, but the 70 is really every bit as good in different ways.
Old October 30, 2010, 05:00 PM   #6
OlCrip

When I was in the Service one of my jobs was to teach young Marines the art of long range shooting. Back in the late '60's the Marine snipers used M70Winchesters and M700 Remingtons ... Redfield 4-12X scopes. On any given day one would outshoot the other. 'Course, the Marine Corps had them built with their own gunsmiths. The bolts and actions were both trued. Neither one was incredibly accurate, minute of angle. But they shot the same way day after day, year after year. Never lost their zero.