The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 2, 2013, 08:58 PM   #1
ffs1942

M1 books?

I'd like to get some books on how to maximize the utility of my new M1. CMP is selling the Hatcher book, but this was written in 1948 and lacks Korea experience and likely has little on using the M1 for competition or hunting.

Any recommendations?
Old May 2, 2013, 10:06 PM   #2
dwwhite

For a competition perspective, try

"Precision Shooting With The M1 Garand" by Roy Baumgardner. It is definitely geared toward wringing the last little bit of accuracy out of an M1, but some of his modifications are a little extreme for the average shooter.

Another good one is the M1 owners manual by Scott Duff.
Old May 3, 2013, 09:16 AM   #3
kraigwy

Korean war not withstanding, Hatcher's "Book of the Garand" is without a doubt the best recourse for the Garand you'll find, and I have several.

It covers the history, maintainence, trouble shooting, repair, ammo, use in combat and competition.

I covers using the Garand in the Jungles of the South Pacific, Deserts of North Africa, the surf at Normandy, and the frigid temps at Bastogne.

No Garand owner should be without this book.

Oh and get a bayonet, Garand's are suppose to have bayonets. Get the type that is period for your M1.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 3, 2013, 12:26 PM   #4
P5 Guy

Scott Duff has a series of very informative books on the M1's development and use for collectors and shooters.
Old May 3, 2013, 05:42 PM   #5
ffs1942

Thx Kraig...

I did get a bayonet. It arrived with the ammo, long before the M1.

Unfortunately, in my ignorance, I ordered the post 1953 bayonet. Maybe a better bayonet if I ever had to use it, but doesn't quite have the panache of a WW2/Korea bayonet, even if they were cut down. Its more of a Selma/Kent State bayonet.

My rifle was made in 1/43, but a Dymo rack number on the receiver indicates the rifle was in service into the 70's. Therefore, the bayonet and cotton sling seem contemporary to the service life of the rifle even if they didn't go ashore at Normandy or Inchon.

BTW, with a rack of civilian weapons, its soooooo cool to finally own 2 guns(I also bought a AO GI M1911) so oozing with testoserone and history.

For many years, I shunned military weapons since I spent 20 years in the Army.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Chuck Dye

I have Jerry Kuhnhausen's shop manual

http://www.gunbooks.com/us30.html

and do not regret the purchase, BUT...

The Kuhnhausen books are shop manuals, loaded with information that presumes a shop and the machines and tools that go with it, going far beyond what most shooters need or want to know.. They are not well indexed and can require much searching to locate answers to this shooter's questions. On the other hand, they make great browsing for an enthusiastic gun owner.