The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 21, 2011, 09:14 AM   #1
Sea Buck

What choke for soft steel shot

What choke should be used with soft steel shot . I have been using modified for regular steel shot in my Browning,but If I can get away with it I'd rather go to a full choke forthose long shots at ducks and geese.
Old August 21, 2011, 09:37 AM   #2
jmr40

Set up a pattern board and see what happens in your gun. That is the only way to know. I tend to gert tighter patterns with modified and steel shot. Full gives blown patterns even with tubes designed for steel in my guns. I almost always use IC with steel. Gives me the patterns that work best for my hunting needs.
Old August 21, 2011, 04:25 PM   #3
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Yep, can't answer that with a one size fits all answer. Shot size and brand of shell have a bit to do with it too. I get my best results with a full choke and #3 steel shot but that's my gun and my ammo, it wont be the same for you.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 22, 2011, 07:18 AM   #4
johnbt

What is soft steel shot? I've never heard of it.
Old August 22, 2011, 12:16 PM   #5
BigJimP

There is no such thing as "soft steel" .....and shooting anything tighter than a Modified choke for steel ....risks ruining a barrel on a shotgun / a high risk in my opinion.
Old August 22, 2011, 12:26 PM   #6
zippy13

I won't go as far as saying there's no such thing as soft steel shot; however, if it does exist, I've never heard of it. Some steels are harder than others, but I've not encountered soft steel.
Old August 22, 2011, 03:03 PM   #7
BigJimP

Ok, you're probably right Zippy ....because I don't know either ....

But I'm wondering if the poster isn't referring to other "Non-Toxic" types of shot like Bismuth vs steel.... or some kind of a Tungsten matrix shell-load....where you might want to consider running a tighter choke ...
Old August 22, 2011, 03:20 PM   #8
zippy13

For those with deep pockets, one advance (since the advent of non-toxic requirements) has been the development of heavier than lead shot. But, I wouldn't call it soft steel.
Old August 22, 2011, 04:06 PM   #9
johnbt

Because it's not steel. I have a bunch of it. And most of it is hard anyway.
Old August 23, 2011, 04:02 PM   #10
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Lead, Bismuth, Steel, modern shot is going to be encases in a plastic wad when it goes through the choke. The main problem was some old steel shot shells would rust together and leave as a solid wad and with the short ramped chokes on older guns that was a huge problem I don't think many of us will face today.

OP wants a full choke for fowl hunting and the only way he will know what works best for his gun is to try it. He could end up with Super full or IM as his optimum choke for the load he wants to use, nobody knows but his gun. Steel hardness is a moot point.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 24, 2011, 12:33 PM   #11
BigJimP

Sorry,

but steel hardness is not a moot point...

Steel will not compress like lead going thru a choke constriction ...and as the charge hits the choke - it will not give like lead ...and a number of guns have been fired with full chokes in them ...with steel shot ...will result in a barrel bulge ..that damages the barrel.

Suggesting someone shoot steel thru a Full choke in any gun ...when there is not a mfg out there that says to shoot Steel thru any choke tighter than a Modified ...is just not a good idea !

This OP has not been to this thread when he posted - and respectfully none of us know what he meant by soft steel ...guys post all kinds of things on the forum that they hear, or they're confused about or whatever ...and those of us with experience, need to suggest a prudent course of action.

Shoot a choke no tighter than a Modified with Steel shot ---