The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 16, 2006, 12:08 AM   #51
Double Naught Spy

Motivational speaking?

"The Art of Verbal Judo in Disarming a Nut Shooting People in the Mall, What Has Worked for Me."

"Carrying a Gun to Protect Others Means Not Having to Draw it During a Shooting."

"The Use of a Handgun as Body Armor and Other Survival Tips."

"A Gun in the Hand and Behind Cover is Worth More than a Gun in the Pocket and Standing in the Open When Confronting an Active Shooter."

Yep, no half way miracles for God. That is why McKown is alive right now. Getting feeling back and maybe learning to walk again will be gravy.

Can you just imagine how bad things would have been had Maldonado been at the mall and shooting people with the intention of doing them harm? Lucky for all that he didn't want to hurt anyone.
Old January 16, 2006, 12:50 AM   #52
last_stand

something else to think about...

I didn't read every reply, but I scanned and I think the general consenses is, the gentleman made some mistakes, but we can understand why. I've done some thought on what it would be like to take a human life, and will admit that the prospect of shooting a kid isn't a pleasing thought to dwell on.

However, insert yourself as the man with the concealed gun. Suppose one of the other victims would have died. Would the knowledge that you could have saved their life weigh on your mind more than the mental pain of shooting an armed bad guy? Personally, my familys safety would come first, then mine, and saving unknown innocents is a distant third, I know its harsh but its honest. I wouldn't do anything that would turn an attackers attention on me unless I was %1000 certain I could end the situation. I know thats easy to say from here but thats how I feal at the moment.
Old January 16, 2006, 01:34 AM   #53
SamD

Fellow just didn't have himelf mentally in shape for the job at hand. Lots(read most) folks aren't.

Sam
Old January 16, 2006, 11:59 AM   #54
garryc

Quote:
I'm not casting aspersions on this guy, but I think what we're seeing is his total lack of training.
Agreed 100%< Standing on a firing line shooting prepairs you for nothing. I had an uncle that was a USMC drill instructor. I asked him about the yelling and screaming, especially when the recruit is sleeping. He said it was to train them to act under extreem stress. You won't be able to copy that, but you can copy many of the physiological conditions of stress.
Old January 18, 2006, 07:21 AM   #55
Major Kong

S.L.A. Marshall (a war journalist) wrote a book about combat behavior based on his experiences in WW II. It was his assertion that most soldiers do not fire thier rifles during combat. His theory was fear of killing prevented soldiers from doing what they were sent there to do. Marshall's findings are controversial, but many combat veterans agree with him.

I've never been in combat, but was in a two situations where I thought I was going to die (in the cockpit).

For me, it brought a moment of clarity I can sharply recall twenty years later. I was able to act quickly and got myself (and my crews) out of the situation.

In another situation, I was in an aircraft that had a major electrical problem. It was pretty nerve racking because I was over a major city (no open fields). I got to the closest airport, and had a straight in approach (because I declared an emergency) - with all of the distractions, I went through my landing checklist, reported the gear down and locked and heard my copilot say "Whoa, check again." Sure enough, the gear was up and locked. I would have sworn in a court that I was CERTAIN the gear was down. The accident board would not have been kind.

My point is that stress does things to people. I was an exceptionally well trained pilot and a fairly good one.

I'm almost positive I could drop a guy shooting a rifle in a mall, but just "almost."
Old January 18, 2006, 09:52 AM   #56
Jack Malloy

Back around Vietnam the US Army did a study and found that something like only 40 percent of the soldiers under fire even fired back. The majority would point their rifles and their fingers froze on the trigger.

>>S.L.A. Marshall (a war journalist) wrote a book about combat behavior based on his experiences in WW II. It was his assertion that most soldiers do not fire thier rifles during combat. His theory was fear of killing prevented soldiers from doing what they were sent there to do. Marshall's findings are controversial, but many combat veterans agree with him.

<<<