The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 31, 2005, 06:48 PM   #1
USP45usp

Preparedness, BOB's, and Serious Discussion

With the worse (in my day and age) natural disaster in the country, what are the members' thoughts on how to survive what happened?

I don't know if it's my military experience or how I was brought up but when many people "in the know" state that it's time to bug out, I will bug out. So, for those that wish to remain in the N.O. area as it is now in their scenario then so be it.

Me, mine is "getting out". I have a BOB (bug out bag) that I need more things to include, since my truck blew up, the new car has a trunk large enough for all my guns (including long) and ammo, the BOB, 5 to 10 gallons of water, two boxes of MRE's and still have room for the camp stove, propane, and three person tent.

I have family in Florida so that is where I would have headed, but lets pretend that I didn't, at least I could camp out to restrict costs if I had to.

And if my family lived there like they do here (mom's side only), I have enough room for six plus my cat (and small dog if I had).

With this happening, and with a major terror event most likely to happen, what plans do you have in order for you, your family, and extended family to survive?

Wayne
Old August 31, 2005, 07:36 PM   #2
fisherman66

I guess my concern surrounds gasoline. My jeep has a 16 gallon tank. I have a 5 gallon "red tank" but it is always empty. The first thing after packing up is to fuel up. I have family 800 miles away. 21 gallons will not get me there. I'm afraid the gas supply will be dry long before I hit the dusty west Texas town of Sweetwater. The demand for gas will trump all immediate needs.

I have a BOB with all the aformentioned supplys. Plenty of ammo for a week or two if used sparingly (couple hundred round for each gun.) Tent, ect..
Old August 31, 2005, 07:45 PM   #3
alpineman

Much like you, I keep a pretty comprehensive BOB and 5-gal of water.

Currently the story on the "news" is that it's reasonable to expect help from FEMA or the feds in general in 3 to 5 days in the event of any disaster. Regardless of the disaster, FEMA was telling us right after 9/11 that we needed to be prepared for disasters like this. I have to wonder how many (or few) people were listening...
Old August 31, 2005, 07:47 PM   #4
axslingerW

I am in the process of putting a kit together right now. I just bought one of those large plastic tubs with a lid from wally-world. So far I have a tent, some mre's, a brick of 22lr's, 200 rounds of .40, and a 30 day supply of the wife's and kid's medications. I want to have it packed and ready to throw in the car at a moments notice. Its about 4 hours to my destination (rural ozark mountains) but I know its a place I can sustain my family almost indefinately. I live in the city now, but am very comfortable living off the land. We could live a long time without help as long as the well holds out. Fresh potable water is the hardest thing to carry.
Old August 31, 2005, 07:59 PM   #5
tshadow6

real life scenario

Hurricane Katrina is as real as it gets. Those still there need water, shelter, medical supplies and food. I've read of some people putting rope, duct tape and thousands of rounds in their bug out kits. What is really needed are MREs, bottled water, shelter and first aid kits. everyone should review their bug out plans and learn from Katrina.
Old August 31, 2005, 08:05 PM   #6
JuniorCommando

Location: North Carolina southern state where Class 3's banned!!
Ammo can be exchanged for goods and services in the event of an emergency :P
Old August 31, 2005, 08:21 PM   #7
TangoTracker

Duct Tape and Rope

You can't drink it, but you can rig one heck of a shelter with rope and duct tape. A tarp is also handy, but lacking one, a big roll of duct tape will still build a shelter.

Yes water is an issue. If you haven't included it, a Katadyn or similar backpacking filter and some iodine tabs should be included. You really can't carry enough water to sustain yourself indefinitely. But with a Katadyn, MSR, etc... you can drink from almost any pond, stream, swimming pool, etc.

No shortage of water in N.O. at the moment, but not stuff you'd want to drink without some reasonable level of filtering.
Old August 31, 2005, 08:46 PM   #8
USP45usp

Just to expand, here is what I have in my BOB (and I forgot about meds since I can only get 30 days at a time, I may well talk with my doc about being able to get 90 day supply):

First aid kit
Doctors kit (everything but the drugs and you can't get those)
Two leathermans
One inexpensive sheath knife
One "cat claw" (used for skinning)
Four (I need 6 at least) "space blankets" (mainly for winter use)
Tablets that clean water
Boyscout "camp" set (pan, plate, silverwear, pot, bowl) x 3 (need more, can they be gotten still?)
Zippo, silver (for reflection) and lighter fluid
Matches (back up)
2 mag lights
2 packs batteries (they are in the fridge, hope I can get to them)

In addition I have:

2 Fire extinguishers
2 boxes MRE's (actually 1.5, I've been cheating on making dinner on some nights ) so I need more.
1 three person tent (may boost that up to two)
1 propane stove
1 case (6 bottles) of propane
2 five gallon size water (not bottles, the big ones) water. Changed out every month (yeah, should be changed every two weeks)
1 coleman (should boost to two) lateran

Arms:

There is enough room in my Impala for all my arms, and the BOB as well as the rest. A trunk can be packed . In my Firebird if I had to take for whatever reason, I would have no room but for one person and the cat.

All arms (over 30+)
200 rounds .45, 200 rounds 9mm, and at least 50 rounds of all calibers owned just for bugging out. Over 1000 rounds of .22.

I know that I should have sleeping bags but they are bulky and take up space. That is why I have the "space blankets" because they are small, take up less room, and will protect in cold weather. I do have a "carpet" that I take to line the tent, that is good enough for the equipment that I have.

Food:

Canned. They can can anything and everything now. I have High Blood Pressure and most canned stuff is 20%+ salt. I'll take my chances if need be, the MRE's are high also but at this point in time, I really don't think that it matters much until I can start providing on my own.

Guns are great, they will help you survive, but you have to think about a plan. Here in Eugene Oregon, other then the volcano in Yellow Stone (and if it goes super, I don't have a chance anyway) or a terrorist attack, I probably am going overboard.

But with Y2K (which I didn't believe but got stuff anyway), the threat of a terrorist attack, Yellow Stone, Mt. Saint Helens, etc.., I believe that it's better to be safe than sorry.

Wayne
Old August 31, 2005, 08:50 PM   #9
JuniorCommando

Location: North Carolina southern state where Class 3's banned!!
Sere Training

Who needs a survival kit?
Old August 31, 2005, 08:54 PM   #10
308Enfield

I've got the BOB at home in a backpack that includes clothes to stay alive in year round (layers with some warm stuff), weapon, ammo, and a good 3 day survival kit including food, water, first aid, radio, flashlight, etc. I've also got a small 3-day kit including food and water and a big first aid kit that stays in the car. So, on about 60 seconds notice I can grab one bag at home, toss that in the car, and between the 2 kits have 6 days of food and water, along with other necessities.

Honestly, as I've been reading through a couple of the different BOB threads I may look at having all of my camping gear ready to go so I'm more prepared. Right now it would add another 5 or 10 minutes to get the big frame pack with tent, sleeping bag, etc.

As far as the plan, my parents are a little less than 200 miles away and near their home we have a farm with a well, so if things get really hairy that's where we'll go. Short of open battle in the streets, however, I don't see things getting so bad we'd need to resort to the farm. Nice to know its there, though
Old August 31, 2005, 09:08 PM   #11
butch50

Quote:
I am in the process of putting a kit together right now. I just bought one of those large plastic tubs with a lid
If you have to abandon your car, a tub will become onerous to carry. You might want to consider getting a backpack, or two if you won't be travelling alone to put your bob stuff in. If nothing else you might want to have an empty backpack so that if you do have to hike away from your car that you can at least carry some of the stuff on your back.

Quote:
a Katadyn or similar backpacking filter and some iodine tabs should be included.
Absolutely! In fact that is the most important thing you could possibly have. You won't starve for many days, but you will sure dehydrate in the summer in short order. Look to the major problem in Katrina's wake - no drinking water - and you can not carry very much water, it weighs 8lbs per gallon, or 64 pounds per cubic foot.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old August 31, 2005, 09:19 PM   #12
swmike

Watching the News tonight I saw numerous people complaining that the Government hadn't responded IMMEDIATELY to their plight. They had no water, food, medicine, shelter, etc, etc.

I was always under the impression that one had to care for themselves for at least 72 hours after any disaster. For me that means water and food for 72 hours. Also any meds necessary for 30 days. Tools, to me, are more important than building materials. I would rather have a saw, hammer, and nails than a heavy tarp. Lighweight ones are in my BOB. My "kit" is only there to support my wife and I until I can find location to settle. My "survival destination" (lots talk of what to have in their Bug Out Bag but few talk of where they will go or what their plan is when they get there) is where I can forage. Food and shelter materials are plentiful as is drinkable water. I'll never regret the outdoor training from my youth or the survival training from the military.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old August 31, 2005, 09:24 PM   #13
38splfan

Water Filter

With all the advances in water treatment in recent years, and the declining cost of protable filters, it is almost senseless not to have one around.

You can spend less than $100 on a servicable model at your local REI or other outdoors store. They are worth every penny and may well do you more good than a gun.

I think this is also time to revive the old tradition of the "kit gun". Does anyone here have a dedicated .22 pistol and ammo that stays with their bug out gear? Just a thought as it is probably my next investment. With .22 Rugers being so easily available used it would be a very low cost endeavor, I think.
Old August 31, 2005, 09:33 PM   #14
joab

I stopped by my favorite pawn shop Monday and bought an 18volt battery operated toll kit.
Circular saw, sawzall, jigsaw, drill, flashlight ans chainsaw don't really need it but it may come in handy some SHTF day.

I'm in the process of splitting up splitting into 3 BOBs one for each car and a large pack for home along with a 'cane box.

Anybody know how long bottled water will last with fluctuating temp extremes.

Here's something I didn't plan for.

Orlando and the surrounding communities are out of gas.
The stores that do have it are experiencing 2 hour long lines.
We weren't even effected by the storm other than some afternoon showers
Old August 31, 2005, 09:35 PM   #15
jcoiii

Quote:
Watching the News tonight I saw numerous people complaining that the Government hadn't responded IMMEDIATELY to their plight. They had no water, food, medicine, shelter, etc, etc.
Didn't you get the notice? The government is responsible for every aspect of our lives now! Good grief, what did you expect them to do with the two or three day warning that a hurricane was coming?!? Prepare? Are you NUTS? Individual responsibility? Heck with that, we got the gubment. I swear, when will you people learn?

I do not aim with my hand.......
Old August 31, 2005, 09:48 PM   #16
USP45usp

Quote:
Does anyone here have a dedicated .22 pistol and ammo that stays with their bug out gear?
The Buckmark, the heritage is for "play".

Quote:
If you have to abandon your car
Then that is when I push or turn off and set up camp. Unless it's a road blockage or an EMP (computerized) then I cannot abandone the car. It has the arms, the ammo, and the things that we will need. Even if it's a front wheel drive, I have no problems "going around" the blockage via off road. I've driven a lot in my time and in cars that weren't meant to do so.

And you have to know your cars/trucks. The Impala is about 500+ highway, around 400 city. I don't let any of my cars/trucks (running or not) get below 1/2 tank. So if nothing else, my worse case is 200 city or 250 highway. You can get away on that, providing that you are stuck in traffic for hours on end.

Advanced thinking on that one can afford a person more leeway if they have to bug out.

Extra fuel is something that I didn't think about, but extra fuel contained in a trunk, I will have to think on that one.

Quote:
Watching the News tonight I saw numerous people complaining that the Government hadn't responded IMMEDIATELY to their plight. They had no water, food, medicine, shelter, etc, etc
And some who call us paranoid, idiots, ect... are the ones stating the above statements.

Edit: Actually, I do care. Wrong statement. If I could I would be there helping because no one deserves to be without a home/food/water. I just hope and pray that there aren't as many dead as is estimated.

Wayne

Last edited by USP45usp; September 1, 2005 at 11:39 AM.
Old August 31, 2005, 09:55 PM   #17
butch50

Quote:
Then that is when I push or turn off and set up camp.
You can buy super cheap military surplus packs, fold it flat and put it in your trunk. Cost you about $10 and won't take up any space at all. Then if you do need to take a hike, it will certainly be a nice option to have.

I keep an inexpensive Phoenix Arms .22 pistol (range model with longer barrel) and a box of hollow points in my bob all the time.

I did notice that the media seems to like to present interviews from that small percentage of the population that thinks hurricanes are a government plot to cause them discomfort. I suspect that they only play the more irrational parts of those interviews on top of that. I bet you dollars to donuts that if you were to talk to those people yourself for 2 minutes you would find that they don't really really blame the government, but just wanted to blow off some steam....

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old August 31, 2005, 11:00 PM   #18
Arizona Fusilier

A few things:

BOBs should be carried in the car. You are rarely more than a few hundred yards from your vehicle. You might not have the time to get back home, or the roads could be flooded, bridges down, blah blah blah. If you have SOs or children, or are otherwise a primary caregiver for the elderly or invalid, you need to make serious contingency plans and arrangements. In this case, plans could be worth more than BOBs.

BOBs should have water, modest amount of food, something to keep warm and dry in, and other essentials, for about three days of supply. It should be in a pack, so you can abandon your wheels if necessary (or your wheels abandon you). Your Ninja sword, lock pick kit, and 100 pounds of gorilla glue are all nice, but remember, it needs to be convenient enough to have with you nearly all the time.

Tents, cases of MRES, spare gas, 10,000 rounds of .308 are all good, and should be kept at home, reasonably ready to roll. If you are a camper, than you are pretty prepared. Those who have never pitched a tent in their life will be in a world of hurt, and in my opinion, aren't inclined towards preparedness anyway. The important point, is all that stuff is NOT your BOB. It's good stuff to have, and more than likely will be with you to augment the BOB, because more than likely you'll get a few hours to prepare, just like the folks in N.O.. But still have a BOB, in your vehicle, just in case.

Admittedly, the gas thing could be dicey. After 9/11, I took to only emptying one tank on my truck, and then filling it up right after I switched tanks. Now that I commute everyday with the Z, the truck stays home with completely full gas tanks, along with spare cans chained in the bed. Also goes for water cans; I live in the desert, so I'm a little paranoid about that stuff. All my camping stuff is against the wall in the garage. I could be packed for a weeks' long stay in the wilderness in an hour, easy. The hard part is figuring out what guns to bring.

As other have mentioned, water purifiers are cheaper and more available than ever. A small, disposable one can be in the BOB, but splurge for a more capable unit and try to have one in each BOB or vehicle.

Lastly, discuss with family and friends beforehand where you are going to bug out to, just in case those precious cell phones stop working.
Old September 1, 2005, 08:47 AM   #19
20cows

Quote:
....long before I hit the dusty west Texas town of Sweetwater.
Hey, fisherman66, Sweetwater's not dusty! Go a little further and Pecos or Ft. Stockton make Sweetwater look like a rain forrest! (But they have their own charm. I'm not bashing the desert, it's home.)
Old September 1, 2005, 09:08 AM   #20
ATW525

My general thought is that if I can't carry it on my back, it ain't coming with me. Having a vehicle to haul stuff is a nice bonus if situation allows, but it's not something I'd want to count on.
Old September 1, 2005, 09:34 AM   #21
Mikkel

We are back to discussing the BOB bag again are we? Well its strange that its soo quiet from the people that was telling us **** about the need and use for one. You paranoid people they called us etc... Look at whats happend in the South of USA aka. New Orelans and surrounding citys. The ones that were prepared had/ has a better chance of survival. I know for a fact that i will now have two bags, one for the car and one that i can carry with me. But maybe more ammo for my gun? It seems that rescue peronell and helicopters have been fired upon. And you never know if people will turn on you next since you are prepared and have food etc....
Old September 1, 2005, 09:59 AM   #22
John Ringo

When I was going through Marine Corps survival training a candidate asked one of the instructors, "What would you do if you were stranded in the middle of the desert with nothing but a block of cheese, a butter knife, and a gallon of water?"

The instructor said, "Well I would eat the cheese and then panic !!!"

"I like these calm little moments before the storm (Stansfield, The Professional)."
Old September 1, 2005, 10:09 AM   #23
ATW525

I could probably carry most everything I needed to survive for 72 hours, minus a decent longarm, in a 5.11 vest. The exception would be during winter, when extra clothing and blankets would be a must at the bare minimum.
Old September 1, 2005, 10:13 AM   #24
20cows

I guess I'll just saddle up the horses and follow the Colorado River for awhile. Two for riding, one for carying the pack. The river'll take care of the water need and I'll take what food I can, the horses already live on grass. By staying away from population centers, maybe you can avoid a lot of conflict. If it's a real SHTF, the country food store becomes more viable (cow critters and such).

This would be one of the big advantages to rural life in a sparsely populated part of the country.
Old September 1, 2005, 10:41 AM   #25
beenthere

Bob

It's also making me think of more weather resistant Stainless for BOB use. Also need to decide whether the same caliber for my wife is a good idea for the ammo we have, or different calibers gives more diversity for acquiring ammo along the line. Pistol caliber rifle to complement handguns or rifle calibers for range? Decisions.
The weak, and those unwilling to make the struggle, soon resign their liberties for the protection of powerful men or paid armies; they begin by being protected, they end by being subjected. Louis L'Amour