The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 5, 2000, 10:30 AM   #1
maxinquaye

Hello,

Does anyone own or have knowledge about the Mossberg Maverick model 88? I am thinking about picking one up for HD and occasional (Once a year) hunting. This model is only $214 and has BOTH the 18.5 and the 28 inch barrels. Any present/previous owners, how did the gun hold up? Praise? Complaints?

Thanks!

------------------
Try this - next time you get junk mail, send their own crap back to them in the envelope marked "Postage Paid by Addressee" ;-)
Old July 5, 2000, 10:43 AM   #2
KOG

I would just get a Mossberg 500 as I've seen 2-barrel packages, like the one you've described, for the same price. Not much experience with the Maverick, but the Moss 500 is a good gun especially for the price.
Old July 5, 2000, 12:14 PM   #3
nedfig

I looked at the M88. I decided on a M500. For about $20 more you get parkerized finish, double slide bar system, the front grip screws on(not pinned on like M88) the receiver is side saddle ready and drilled/tapped for scope, ghost rings, etc. You may not get 2 barrels, but the M500 is much better value.

I paid $240 w/tax for my 8 shot M500 parkerized.

Ned
Old July 5, 2000, 11:59 PM   #4
Rutgers

My first gun was a mav 88 picked up on my 18th b-day nine years ago. shot the hell out of that gun. wouldnt eject 3" hulls even though it was sold as 2 3/4 or 3". besides that I never had a problem with it, though when compared to an 870, you could definately tell the difference in quality. good luck on your decision.

Rutgers