The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 27, 2015, 12:59 PM   #26
lee n. field

Quote:
For those of you that carry, does your carry gun double as your nightstand/bedside/whatever you want to call it gun? Or, do you have dedicated guns for each duty
My usual carry gun stays in its pocket holster, in a pile of clothes beside the bed. It is the "bedside gun". In the morning the pocket contents get moved to the new pair of pants.

(No rugrats around to worry about, and the cat, despite her psychopathy, I do not regard as a threat.)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old April 27, 2015, 02:05 PM   #27
Limnophile

My four compact, steel-framed CZs are interchangeable, although I have dedicated the CZ 82 to my car.
Old April 27, 2015, 03:44 PM   #28
gwpercle

When I leave the house it goes with me....it's a carry gun. When I get home I take it off and it goes on the night stand....it's a night stand gun.
It's two, two , two guns in one ! ( jingle from old Cert's commercial)
Actually my thinking is if the gun is with me a robber can't steal it. Twice my house has been broken into. Once they stole guns, the second time I had "taken precautions". Anyway, if it's not there they can't take it.
Gary
Old April 27, 2015, 07:28 PM   #29
FAS1

I keep a G17 for a dedicated home defense gun in the safe. Carry a G26.

Old April 27, 2015, 08:47 PM   #30
Auto5

My EDC guns are smaller single stacks, but my HD pistols are full size, full capacity, since weight or concealability isn't an issue.
Old April 29, 2015, 02:36 PM   #31
smokehouse4444

I'm kinda with Jaughtman...I have lots of guns for different times, but mostly I just like different handguns.

My wife's Ruger SP101 could easily be the only gun we would need, but where's the fun in that. We also have loaded handguns stashed around the house to get to at a moment's notice. (No chillens) My nightstand handgun is the SIG P226 Tacops with laser/light and spare mag. That's a LOT of lead. The wife knows to never answer the front door without the P220 behind her back. (There is very little if any knocks on the door where we live). The SA XDm 45acp 3.8 tends to be my "truck" gun, and doubles as a woods gun in 45 Super. I'll carry the S&W M29 44Mag while hunting.

By far, the Kahr CM9 is carried concealed more than anything else. If I want a little more "oomph", I will go with the P245, if I want to be more "invisible", I go with the P238. My new little Taurus TCP gets the "throw it in my pocket" treatment with gym shorts, going to store, jammies, or dirty work on the property.

Several could be that "one" handgun, but I like the variety.

Last edited by smokehouse4444; April 29, 2015 at 02:42 PM.
Old April 29, 2015, 10:41 PM   #32
9ballbilly

Generally whatever handgun I'm carrying that day will end up on the nightstand.
Old April 30, 2015, 10:11 AM   #33
Grant D

I have a Walther P-38 in a holster clipped to my bedrail that stays there all the time.
I usually put my model 637 that I carry daily on the nightstand, or I may leave it on the dresser, but either way there's always one close to the bed.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:09 AM   #34
wrdwrght

Dedicated, but only because curiosity has led me to acquire a bunch of guns that I'm now free to rotate at will.

However, I think a good case can be made for having just a single gun, say a Glock 19, to perform in both a CC and HD role.

The only concern I would have with this scenario is what happens if the gun needs to be sent off for service. After all, committing to gun ownership is a momentous decision not easily rolled back. Following the "two is one, one is none" principle, it's probably better to have another gun to fill one or both roles.

And, so, my one gun, a P229, became a bunch of others...
Old May 2, 2015, 03:43 PM   #35
Boncrayon

Dedicated purpose?

Good question! My CCW is on me unless I'm showering or sleeping. However, if I take it off of me, I know where it is and can reach it in a timely manner because it is my first line of defense. My Ruger LC9s (striker fire) is readied for any circumstance that would require my intervention.
Old May 3, 2015, 02:05 PM   #36
SauerGrapes

My carry gun always did double duty.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old May 19, 2015, 09:16 AM   #37
Skeets
Member in memoriam

Each of my set-up for specific roles handguns has served me well.IMHO it's just too much to ask of only one gun.
Old May 19, 2015, 01:13 PM   #38
RickB

Just about any gun I own will get shot in competition, or not get shot much.

My carry/self-defense guns are shot in IDPA matches a couple of times a year, to confirm that they're still running right, and that I can still shoot them.

Since I've never been in a self-defense situation, but I sometimes shoot a lot of matches, I should say a couple of my competition guns get carried, rather than I compete with my carry guns?
Old May 22, 2015, 03:52 AM   #39
banditgriot

I live alone, so my shotgun is my nightstand gun. My carry pistols sit in a drawer. Everything else is locked away or strategically placed awaiting the zombie apocalypse...probably why I live alone.