The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 1, 2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Vireye

S&W Walther PPK

Hey all,

November is turning into a VERY good month for me, financially. It's one of those rare months where I get paid three times (I'm paid every two weeks), plus due to the Hurricane I have nearly 40 hours of OT this week alone.

As a result of having a little extra "fun money" this month, plus some personal things going VERY well, I've decided to look into getting the gun I've wanted since I was 12, the Walther PPK.

Which, of course, is more of a S&W PPK now....

I've heard VERY mixed reviews of the newer S&W PPK's...anyone here own one? They seem to be really hit-or-miss with reliability...

I'm looking at getting a PPK, not a PPK/S, but that may change pending review. While this is a 'grail gun' of sorts for me, reliability is an issue since I carry every weapon I own...I don't want a safe queen.

Any advice, opinions, experience, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
Old November 1, 2012, 09:35 AM   #2
saltydog452

Rewind a couple or four decades and the PPK was just about the only game in town if you had need of a small semi. My Interarms has logged lots of miles and I was glad to have it handy.

Today, there are more practical choices. But, these don't fit into the holy grail catagory and lack the 'cool' factor as James Bond didn't carry one. Better carry leather and ammunition choices are available today also.

My PPK hasn't seen daylight in several years. The aftetrmarket tritium lamps are now dull and I imagine the DA trigger would still feel like about 20 pounds. Just a personal comment, but one Kahr 9X19 has more utility value than a bucket full of S&W PPKs.

No 'dis, but you asked.

salty
Old November 1, 2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Fishbed77

Quote:
Just a personal comment, but one Kahr 9X19 has more utility value than a bucket full of S&W PPKs.
While this is true, it really shouldn't have much impact on the OP's decision, since this is a "grail gun" of his. The PPK is still a perfectly servicable carry gun.

It seems that S&W has, at this point, worked out most of their teething issues with their PPK. My suggestion is to go over to waltherforums.com. There is a great group of folks there that can answer any Walther question you'll ever have.
Old November 1, 2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Grant D

I have a S&W PPK/S it's a great little gun. It's accurate, and fun to shoot.
My wife uses it for her car gun,she keeps it in the console,and she carrys a Ruger LCP.
They are a little heavy for every day carry,but I also have always wanted one since the James Bond movies.
I also have a 1941 Walther PP, and 2 Walther P-38's

I say go ahead and buy it, you wont regret it.
Old November 1, 2012, 11:12 AM   #5
Dragline45

I had a S&W PPK that I gave to my father. Great gun, very fun to shoot, and more accurate than you will ever believe. I really mean it too that little gun is super accurate. I don't regret giving it to my father, he needed a small gun and I already had others I could carry so it was worth it. Although I am picking up a Sig 232 hopefully in the next month to replace it. Somewhere down the road I plan on getting another PPK in .32ACP for strictly a fun range gun.

The gun does require a break in period though. It comes very stiff from the factory but that can be expected. Also since the gun is a blowback design it is prone to limp wristing. If you keep a proper grip though you should have no problems. I personally have never had a jam of any kind shooting my PPK, new shooters I bring to the range have.

Quote:
Just a personal comment, but one Kahr 9X19 has more utility value than a bucket full of S&W PPKs.
Don't see what this has to do with him wanting a PPK. The Kahr isn't even of similar design, nor does it have the nostalgia of the PPK for the OP.

Last edited by Dragline45; November 1, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old November 1, 2012, 11:42 AM   #6
bilyspit

In the same boat

Hey Vireye, I am in the same boat as you. I do not own a PPK, but I got to put about 20 rounds through a PPKS at a shooting fair a couple of years ago. I was with a buddy and we said, almost for a joke, that we had to shoot the James Bond gun. I also had heard a lot of varying reviews of the PPK from this very forum. I was shocked at how much I enjoyed shooting it - as was my buddy. We both resolved to someday acquire one - for the same reason as you, just for fun. I keep a list of guns I want to acquire and it currently sits at #5 on the list, which for me means about 3 years away. I hope it works out for you. There is nothing quite like walking into your LGS with money in hand knowing you are there to buy!
Old November 1, 2012, 11:57 AM   #7
SDF880

I have both the S&W and Interarms PPK and PPK/s models. My S&W PPK is a 2009 model and has been flawless, the PPK/s is a fixed re-call model and at times a bit of a jammaster but last time to the range and a change in ammo I went thru a box of 50 rounds and no problems. The S&W models have a longer tail on them and has stopped any "slide bite" I get with the IA models. I like the looks of the Interarms PPK(s) as they are right from the original design but I find both of mine like to FTE/FTF on occasion. I think in all my jam cases it is the type ammo I'm using more than any issues with the guns. Any of the PPK's are fun to shoot and for me more accurate than I am.

SDF880
Old November 1, 2012, 01:53 PM   #8
carguychris

Although I don't own one, the general consensus on the S&W PPK's seems to be that they had some teething problems early in production, and there was a recall, but the recent ones are very, very good. I've examined several, and asides from having no apparent flaws in workmanship, the DA trigger pulls seemed smoother and lighter than the Interarms / Mid-South Ind. and Manurhin guns I've examined.

Speaking of Interarms and Manurhin, although most of their guns look great, remember that you're NOT going to get factory service for one!
Old November 1, 2012, 02:24 PM   #9
geetarman

I bought my first PPK in 1968 and paid $98 for it.

Don't remember why I got rid of it.

I bought an Interarms PPK/S in late 70's and paid $219 for it.

Don't remember why I got rid of it.

I heard that Smith and Wesson had worked out the bugs and bought one a couple of years ago. I have shot ammo from two different manufacturers and two different weights and have had no issues at all. This gun seems to be smoother than either of the German guns.

I am planning on keeping it although I do not shoot it a lot.

Carpe Cerveza
Old November 1, 2012, 03:56 PM   #10
Coltman 77

Check out a PPS in 9mm.

Awesome pistol, accurate, uber reliable and extremely well vetted and respected.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old November 1, 2012, 04:01 PM   #11
HisSoldier

I get a great feeling every time I hold my S&W PPK/s, in answer to all complaints I say "This is not my carry gun", it's a work of art. It doesn't have to do what a throw away plastic gun can, and long after I'm dead someone else will admire it, assuming people don't vote for anti gunners.

The caliber is way too small, the capacity is small, the safety is in the wrong place and functions weird, the mag release is in the right place, but since I'll never carry it none of that matters.

For people who choose one or a few guns and only guns with carry potential it might not be the best choice, but as a functional work of art that will be valuable for hundreds of years it certainly is. One of my guns is for carry, not admiration, the other 50 some are only for admiration and shooting for fun.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old November 1, 2012, 04:01 PM   #12
dahermit

Quote:
Check out a PPS in 9mm.

Awesome pistol, accurate, uber reliable and extremely well vetted and respected.
But... James Bond never carried a PPS.
Old November 1, 2012, 04:45 PM   #13
DFrame

My old interarms stainless PPK has logged a LOT of miles since I bought it about 30 years ago. It still gets used and carried. I'm one of the people who think you should shoot anything you're going to carry. Consequently mine has had thousands of rounds fired through it and looks it. Never once has it failed to operate when fed quality ammunition. I wouldn't change a rubmark or scratch for ANYTHING. I like it JUST like it is.
Old November 1, 2012, 05:37 PM   #14
wild cat mccane

James Bond does carry a PPS. In .40 no less.
book: Carte Blanche
Old November 1, 2012, 06:06 PM   #15
vyse.04

I put 150 rounds through one at a range with zero issues. I almost bought one a few months back, but I will be leaving the states for a few years and couldn't take it with me. After reading all the horror stories, I was surprised at how accurate it was. Super easy to shoot, although the DA is pretty heavy. Given the weapon's purpose, that could be a good thing as well.
Old November 1, 2012, 07:16 PM   #16
JustinBiscuit

I have a stainless in .32. Fun to shoot and very accurate. It is a bit on the heavy side for carry.
Old November 1, 2012, 07:40 PM   #17
rep1954

I have a PPK/S whose blue was well worn when when I received it. I swear the previous owner must of had acid hands. The finish hasn't effected it's performance operation or accuracy wise. My FFL holder that I use bought one for his wife to carry in her purse. She carried it for sometime and loved it. One day her purse got stolen and my FFL holder replaced it for her with a Sig 232 and she had to complain for a whole year before he replaced it with another PPK/S.
Old November 1, 2012, 10:04 PM   #18
Walter

Quote:
My old interarms stainless PPK has logged a LOT of miles since I bought it about 30 years ago. It still gets used and carried. I'm one of the people who think you should shoot anything you're going to carry. Consequently mine has had thousands of rounds fired through it and looks it. Never once has it failed to operate when fed quality ammunition. I wouldn't change a rubmark or scratch for ANYTHING. I like it JUST like it is.
+1. Bought mine in 1986, still carry it when I want to go "light".
Love that gun.

Walter
Old November 1, 2012, 11:34 PM   #19
Comancheseven

PPK/S all the way

I have a PPK/S and I love it. I shot it against a fellow Officer from another Dept. He was shooting a full size Duty 9mm. I was using my small off duty PPK/S. My target was much better than his. Now I was in the course of running a Academy Class at the time and each day at lunch break we would choke down a burger and head to the range to burn up some ammo. So yea I was in the grove. This PPK/S is a 380 acp and the only problem I had with it was due to a bad mag. It works great I say go for your grail and get one.

Dave
Old November 2, 2012, 06:18 AM   #20
Rodger_p

My S&W PPK/s has been 100% since I bought it in 2009. It did go back for the factory safety recall.
But other than that it has been great.
Old November 2, 2012, 06:24 AM   #21
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Check out a PPS in 9mm.
The PPK was my grail too. After hitting the store with cash in my pocket, I was a little less than impressed with the S&W version of the PPK. Still nice, but not what I thought it was going to be.

While looking at the PPK, I stumbled across a Walter PPS 9mm and was smitten. It is of course a Walther and, it is a Walther that was actually made by Walther in Germany. After a little internal debate, the PPK lost to the PPS. I have not regretted the decision. It is accurate and reliable.

I might suggest that if you want a PPK, why not hold your money back and buy when Walther ends their partnership with S&W? That way you will end up with a German made Walther. If you can't wait, take a look at the PPS, it just might surprise you.
Old November 2, 2012, 06:48 AM   #22
Hal

Quote:
Any advice, opinions, experience, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
Try to buy a used one in very good to excellent condition.

I paid $495.00 for a used PPK/s.
I shot 50 rounds of .380 through it.

I not only didn't like it - I hated the fact that I had close to $500 tied up in a gun I knew I'd never shoot.

I sold it for $495.00.

PPK - PPK/s is like that though...
Either love it or hate it - there's not much in between.

& yes - the PPk, PPK/s had also been a "grail" gun for me since I saw my fisr James Bond movie 45 or so years ago..
Old November 2, 2012, 07:14 AM   #23
roadrat

I have an Interarms PPK 380 which was also my holy grail gun....now its my office gun. Its not an ideal carry gun given the other options available today, but if the weight and caliber work for you, thats great.

Why not pick up an Interarms version. I've seen them in the $400-$500 range for excellent condition
Old November 2, 2012, 07:49 AM   #24
Vireye

Thus far the advice has been excellent all, thanks!

May look in to trying to find an Interarms PPK/S.

As far as carrying it goes, I have a preference for smaller calibers. No idea why, I just always gravitate towards them.

I know there are more ideal carry guns...I have a Glock 30 that I use as an EDC (and a Sig P228R I carry very occasionally).

There have been a few incidents lately that made me wish I owned a smaller weapon, preferably in .380, as a BUG. Plus there are times were even the G30 is a bit difficult to conceal due to width (when I wear a suit, for example).

I also just love that classic PPK look...
Old November 2, 2012, 07:59 AM   #25
JBriggs

Gotta just love the PPK and PPKs. I had a couple of S&W PPKs, but ended up selling them. There was not anything wrong with them- in fact they were reliable and accurate. Both were .32s.

Before you drop the big bucks for a new S&W PPKs, try to find a Walther German made one. There is a world of difference in quality. I ended up getting rid of those two becuase I found some older, German made ones.

If you are dead set on getting a new one, then I would wait. S&W and Walther are in the process of undoing their business relationship, and very soon PPKs will be once again made in Germany!