The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 10, 2006, 09:16 AM   #1
FirstFreedom

Help with mechanical/physical problem with feeder?

I have a wildlife feeder, to which I have attached a solar charger to recharge the battery. There is a wire going from the solar collection unit to the feeder unit. *EVERY SINGLE* time I go down to the feeder, something has chewed the wire in half (squirrels I'm pretty sure), even though all of this is up off of the ground about 4.5 feet or more. So I keep stripping and repairing with tape, and the wire keeps getting shorter & shorter with each repair.

So, what's the best solution, do you think, as for some sort of "wrapping" or shroud to keep the wire in? Just ordinary aluminum electrical conduit or what? Anyone faced & solved this problem somehow? Thanks.

And if you're wondering, no I don't hunt directly over the feeder for deer or turkeys. Nearest deer stand is 75 yards away or so, through a lot of trees.
Old October 10, 2006, 10:15 AM   #2
Wild Bill Bucks

FF,

I don't have the fancy stuff, like you have. I have to keep replaceing batteries in mine.

Just a suggestion, since the wire is probably getting chewed by bushy tails, is there a way you can put a piece of copper tubing around it?

I had to make a metal box around my straight shot feeders to keep them from eating them up. They actually ate the batteries, and the computer board out of mine, but the metal box seems to be working.

I spent last week hunting, but have yet to see the one I'm looking for. Have you had any luck?
Old October 10, 2006, 03:59 PM   #3
Eghad

or some metal braid flexible hose

NRA Life Member
Old October 10, 2006, 04:38 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Whee! You have just discovered the joys of wire with insulation made of a vegetable-based plastic!

I had the same problem with my feeder. Rock squirrels in west Texas. I took window-screen wire and wrapped the wires from the solar panel. Held in place with mechanic's wire (Like baling wire, except from a car parts store. )

I even had to do a wraparound with one-inch chicken mesh fence to keep the little (Bleep) from chewing on the spreader unit!

The supplier of these feeders finally responded to complaints from folks like me and how the line comes in a flexible steel sheath.

How bad is veggie-based plastic? Well, a farmer limped into a Ford dealer, his new truck barely running. When a mechanic raised the hood, "It looked like an explosion in a spaghetti factory!" Ford bought its wiring harnesses from a supplier in Brazil. Think, "Soybeans". Don't park in the barn...

Art
Old October 10, 2006, 05:52 PM   #5
Spur0701

I had the same problem.....I used a spare stainless steel mesh hose.......you know, the ones that you use to feed hot and cold water to the underside of a sink.....they're not much but I had a few spares laying around in the garage.
Old October 10, 2006, 06:49 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

Quote:
How bad is veggie-based plastic? Well, a farmer limped into a Ford dealer, his new truck barely running. When a mechanic raised the hood, "It looked like an explosion in a spaghetti factory!" Ford bought its wiring harnesses from a supplier in Brazil. Think, "Soybeans". Don't park in the barn...
Ha. Thanks guys, that ourta do it.....
Old October 10, 2006, 07:21 PM   #7
Trapp

try a little pepper spray (OC) too!!
Old October 11, 2006, 11:11 AM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A wrap with duct tape, plus Luzianne Hot Sauce, will work for a while. Rain wipes out the Sauce; sun wipes out duct tape. Then, back to Square One.

, Art
Old October 11, 2006, 11:19 AM   #9
Foxman

Squirrels, good eatin!. 40 grns of expanding lead from a 22 rimfire and lots of fried squirrel might do the trick.
Old October 11, 2006, 12:44 PM   #10
kingudaroad

I have 3/4 inch pvc used as a conduit from the charger and into the timer box through a hole in the box. A male threaded end goes into the box where it is secured with a bolt screwed onto the pvc end. A hose clamp secures the top of the pvc near the charger.