The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2013, 07:32 PM   #26
reynolds357

Buck, I agree to an extent. Having said that, I will gladly give you every load I have. As you said, if you want to load a 7 Rem mag with pyrodex, I cant help; but if I have data, its yours.
Old January 22, 2013, 07:42 PM   #27
ScottRiqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR
This is why I always recommend having three sources of reference to confirm that a load is safe or legitimate.
I agree that cross-checks are usually a good thing, but as a new reloader, my confusion level actually went way UP after I started accumulating multiple loading manuals. Like the saying goes, "A man with two wristwatches never really knows what time it is." I've lost track of how many times the starting load from one manual was above the maximum load listed in another manual, for the same components.

With enough recipes to choose from, I could usually figure out which was the "odd man out" and disregard it, but I'll admit that my confusion led me to ask for help more than once, even with a variety of manuals at my disposal.
Old January 22, 2013, 08:01 PM   #28
buck460XVR

Quote:
Buck, I agree to an extent. Having said that, I will gladly give you every load I have. As you said, if you want to load a 7 Rem mag with pyrodex, I cant help; but if I have data, its yours.
...and if I could verify that data, either by published manuals or manufacturers websites, or by several other respected forum members/fellow handloaders I would use it. But not before.
Old January 27, 2013, 07:35 PM   #29
USMC EOD

I agree with most of the posts here that people need to get up to date loading manuals. But very often, the loading manuals will not tell us a lot of the finer details such as a pet load for a particular type of gun. I also realize that you could have two guns of the same type with consecutive serial numbers that will not shoot alike with the same ammo. That being said, I do appreciate hearing from people on this forum about what works best for them. The M1 Garand is a prime example (yes I am familiar that the Hornady manual has data specifically for the Garand), so is the M1A, and the 1903.

I would never load something someone told me about here without double or triple checking it in one of my manuals. So if someone is posting here and too cheap to buy a manual, and willing to just take a strangers word about what is a good load, then that is on them. I'm pretty sure that most of the people on here are better than that (but like I learned in the USMC, there is always the 10%).