The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 3, 2009, 06:17 AM   #26
VaFisher

Well mine equalsout to most all the items listed above along with a SPOT Unit. The Spot Unit will get you help and or let others know your exact location.
Old April 3, 2009, 11:17 AM   #27
wyobohunter

"What are you going to put the water in while the purification tablets do their thing?"

I always have a plastic 750ml Jim Beam bottle that I use for water to drink while hiking.

I forgot to add to my first post: A few bandaids and some misc. pain pills. I don't bother with a pre-fab 1st aid kit because I don't plan on performing open heart surgery.
Old April 3, 2009, 11:30 AM   #28
THEZACHARIAS

All the basic stuff plus a good med kit with some quickclot and meds (antibiotics and a pain killer especially). You never know when or how an accident or a moron with a gun will strike.
Old April 3, 2009, 11:48 AM   #29
Scorch

First aid kit, moleskin, 150' of 550 parachute cord, fishing kit (hooks, line, sinkers), fire starting supplies, some dry clothes, space blanket, tube tent, 3 MREs, bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, a small pot to boil water in, mess kit, hunting knives, flashlight. It all weighs about 12 lbs, and it fits in a LRRP rucksack.
Old April 3, 2009, 01:09 PM   #30
davlandrum

Lots of good stuff here.

A couple of things that don't go in a kit, but are absolutely required:

1) Healthy dose of common sense
2) Huge amount of "remain calm"
3) Plenty of practice with stuff in kit to help me with #2
4) Will to survive

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old April 3, 2009, 03:16 PM   #31
Crankylove

Ammo, lighter, spare pack of smokes, fast acting sugar (diabetic), some TP, and maybe lunch and a drink.
Old April 3, 2009, 03:18 PM   #32
Bwana4

a random but useful article

When backpack elk hunting I also carry a few cyalume lightsticks and some big rubber bands to shoot the up into the branches in case I need spotting from above.
Old April 13, 2009, 12:29 AM   #33
David_S

Don't any of you guys carry a personal locator beacon (EPIRB)? Where I hunt a cell phone is next to useless. The modern 406Mhz beacons can give your location within 25 yards.

Maybe that was one of the reasons why I was out last weekend searching for a missing hiker in some pretty rugged country ranging to over 7000ft. He was travelling ultra light, travelling alone. told no-one where he was going or when he was due out, left only one entry in a hut book and consequently wasn't missed till he failed to get off the plane in the States. That was 6 weeks later. Needless to say we were looking for a body.

The obvious moral of this story is that nobody will come looking for you if they don't know you are missing. A survival kit in my opinion is to help you survive should you be injured (or lost) until help arrives.

David

Last edited by David_S; April 13, 2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old April 13, 2009, 01:19 AM   #34
wyobohunter

My wife wants me to get one of those. I'm seriously considering the one that can send the "all is o.k." or "s.o.s"... Can't remember what one that is right now but I think it sends the "o.k." message to e-mail. Anybody heard of this thingy?
Old April 13, 2009, 03:31 PM   #35
David_S

Quote:
My wife wants me to get one of those. I'm seriously considering the one that can send the "all is o.k." or "s.o.s"... Can't remember what one that is right now but I think it sends the "o.k." message to e-mail. Anybody heard of this thingy?
That would be handy. The units I am talking about (PLBs) are for emergency use only. When activated they send out a unique code which is picked up immediately by geostationery satellite and forwarded to the nearest national rescue centre. The unique code gives the location of the unit as well as its identity so the rescue centre can contact the owner or next of kin to see if it is an unintentional activation or the real thing. There are two types available here - the cheaper one (approx $US300) gives the position to about 5km and the more expensive unit (approx $US500) uses GPS to give a position to 5 metres or so. Both types also send out a homing signal on 121.5MHz.
Old May 1, 2009, 10:18 AM   #36
bufordtjustice

I just took some photos of one of my packs for another site and thought I might as well post it here. This one is a "warm weather" set-up for hiking, floating, certain hunting/fishing, etc. I have another one almost exactly the same that sits in a bigger pack with room for clothes, extra ammo, etc.

Some of the contents include:

1. Camelbak MULE
2. Large carabiner and 6 feet of prussik line.
3. Gerber tool and big rock knife
4. small knife sharpener
5. pocket chainsaw
6. 550 cord
7. Small fishing kit with leaders
8. whistle, mirror, button compass, firesteel, magnesium bar
9. contractor trashbags and stuff sack for gathering/transporting
10. small but well stocked first aid kit with OTC meds such as benadryl
11. full size compass
12. tea candles, matches, pencils write in the rain paper, duct tape
13. playing cards with survival info. on them
14. headlamp and water purification tablets
15. folded up small loaf pans for cooking, eating drinking gathering.
16. most stuff is in waterproof baggies
17. nails
18. cotton balls soaked with vasoline and placed in empty pill bottle.
19. survival bivy bag (much better than a space blanket).
20. probably a few other small things I tucked away and forgot about.

This whole thing is pretty light and obviously also carries water!
Old May 1, 2009, 12:28 PM   #37
davlandrum

My survival gear in my pack is pretty robust - BUT

I have a really bad habit of dropping my pack at the first sign of a critter I want to sneak on. So what I did was buy a very light weight sheath knife (finnish style) and put it on a neck lanyard with a flint. I will add an emergency whistle this year.

That way, when I drop my pack, I at least have enough for me to make it though a night or two if necessary. Due to where we hunt, we are seldom more than 1 mile from some type of logging road - granted it may be 1 mile straight up....

We also make sure that everyone in camp knows the approximate area each is hunting, so if someone doesn't come back by dark +2 hours, the search starts.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old May 1, 2009, 03:07 PM   #38
Buzzcook

A couple sandwiches, salami or ham.

Seriously, where I hunt now I'm only about 100yds from my vehicle. Natty Bumppo would not be proud.
Old May 2, 2009, 07:04 PM   #39
wyobohunter

about weight

A friend/climbing partner and I were shuffling around in our tent one winter morning in the Tetons. We were getting ready to summit one of the lesser known peaks. He noticed that I rolled up my bivvy sack and stuffed it into my summit pack, "What's that for?" he says, "In case we don't make it down before dark" I answer. "Well, if you don't bring it we'll make it back before dark". "How do you know that?" "Because if we don't make it back before dark we wont have a warm place to sleep!"....
Old May 2, 2009, 07:25 PM   #40
45Marlin carbine

many of the items mentioned and some I'm going to add also.
if you wear eyeglasses then carry a repair kit or (I do this) some contact lenses and small vial of solution.
a good thread IMO.
Old May 6, 2009, 10:53 PM   #41
Xwrench3

lets see, a fire starter (magnesium / flint), 2 "space blankets", spare compass, 2-3 peices of candy, 2 small flashlights, several bandaids, multi-tool, sharp knife, spare ammo, rubber gloves, hand sanitizer, signal "mirror", asprin, zip ties, dry socks (can also be used for a large bandage). and i have probably missed a few things, but i am not going to dig it out right now (11:51 pm).
Old May 6, 2009, 11:27 PM   #42
Fat White Boy

First aid kit- Small to large bandaids, Bactine, 4" Ace Bandage, 2" ace bandage, Imodium, small scissor, Ibuprofen, 4X4's, adhesive tape. This will fit into about a 6" square plastic box.

Survival- Water proof matches, parachute cord, folding knife, duct tape, space blanket, Plasma rifle in the 40 Watt range...
Old May 9, 2009, 09:58 PM   #43
bcarver

black plastic bag

All I every carry is a black plastic bag.
Old May 10, 2009, 01:59 AM   #44
4INCHSMITH

Just a good pair of boots for me, though it is about 1/2 mile away, I can literally see my house from my deer blind.

Granted, I wish I could hunt remote/wide open spaces on a regular basis...