The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 27, 2006, 01:11 PM   #26
springmom

LOL. Archerandshooter's grandfather always hunted in a wool plaid shirt, I've been told...never messed up his hunting.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old September 27, 2006, 02:30 PM   #27
ArcherAndShooter

I've seen the photo...

of Grandpa bending over a MASSIVE muley he shot wearing red-check lumberjack coat and blue denim overalls.

me, i wear sticks 'n limbs. not 'photo-realistic' (that's to fool hunters) but good soft color and pattern disruption. i've had deer not see me when I was standing in the open 10 yards from them, as long as I kept perfectly still and did not make eye contact.
Old September 27, 2006, 05:27 PM   #28
sparkysteve

I prefer Mossy Oak over Advantage, because it blends in better where I hunt and I find Bill Jordan extremely annoying.

Dont tread on me.
Old September 27, 2006, 06:21 PM   #29
Trip20

stevelyn -- I gotta say those "Test Photos" on the ASAT website are a bit of a joke. I could get the similar results using my digital camera and some old muted-color street clothes.

I'm not saying the ASAT camo is not good or that it doesn't work! The stuff looks fine to me. I just think the photos were poor to the point of being funny.
Old September 27, 2006, 06:40 PM   #30
Jack O'Conner

North American pronghorn antelope easily have some of the sharpest eyes of all the animals created by our Lord. These amazing creatures can spot even small movement at 1 mile. Yet my ordinary USA military woodland camo worked quite well on this hunt. The orange vest and hat did not affect this long stalk in tree-less prairie.

I wouldn't worry too much about camo patterns. For count-less centuries American Indians went hungry if they failed at the hunt. Yet they got along quite well without the modern benefits of soap, shampoo, clothes washing machines, toothpaste, steel tipped arrows, or camo clothing.

Chuck Adams holds more P & Y trophies than any other archer in history. Yet most of his successfull hunts were conducted wearing a plaid shirt and wool watch cap. Only recently has he succumbed to the big marketing dollars from major clothing and gear makers. Its just about money; not hunting success. Don't confuse the two.
Jack
Old September 28, 2006, 09:54 AM   #31
Wild Bill Bucks

Basically, I think you could wear purple with pink and red, as long as the pattern is not solid. Movement is what gives you away. Camoflauge itself is noticeable if you are moving. It only works when you are still.
As far as the best, in my opinion is the break-up pattern. It has more black in it, and the black is what gives the pattern depth. I have had deer walk up and turn their head, looking straight at me, trying to see me, from a distance of less than 10 feet. I think the pattern breaks your sillouette,so they look right through you.
I have watched guys who come through my area, and I notice it when it moves, but as soon as they stop, the pattern becomes very hard to pick up.

Here in southeastern Okla., you will have deer within bow range a lot, and camo becomes important, not because of the color, but because of the pattern. I hate a solid orange vest, because it gives off a solid pattern, that is picked up by the deer, with very little movement. The camo orange, is a much better choice, but it is not legal in some states.

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the TV hunters, since most of them don't hunt in the southeastern Okla. vicinity, and since there aren't a whole lot of game ranches down here, growing big bucks, I'm not likely to see them here. We have some really good trophy whitetails in our area, but they are few and far between. I have to remember, that they make their living promoting their sponsers products.( and most of what they tell you, may not work in your area, unless your on that game ranch with them)

Remember good hunters, will have success, and bad hunters, will mostly just get a lot of exercise. The clothing won't make that much difference.
Old September 28, 2006, 10:53 AM   #32
Ian2005

So I find myself wondering from Jack's post - how do you do a stalk wearing a solid color jacket and hat in an open field? I would think that unless there are hills that you can indeed crawl up to and peer over, forget it. If pronghorn have terrific vision, wouldn't they be able to see something solid moving a mile away?
Old September 28, 2006, 12:39 PM   #33
castnblast

I like both. Especially whatever is on sale. I tend to like that better
Old September 28, 2006, 03:21 PM   #34
arizona hunter

Kinda of depends on the color and type of boots for the occasion.. Just kidding.

Most of my stuff is Advantage, but I also like Mossy and Treebark for certain situations.
Old September 29, 2006, 09:40 PM   #35
sleeping dog

Quote:
That makes sense to me how a hawaiian shirt could be very good with colorblind deer
First, you'd have to make sure you're hunting the colorblind deer, not the normal deer. How do you know?

Also, it wouldn't help me. It's pretty chilly here in November, and wearing the hawaiian shirt over three layers of thermal underwear is just pushing the envelope too far.

On the other hand, if you see some guy wearing three layers of long-johns and a hawaiian shirt, and he's dragging a deer to his truck, ya gotta respect that.

Regards.
Old September 30, 2006, 07:42 PM   #36
shotguna

Buffalo Plaid
Old October 2, 2006, 07:03 PM   #37
prater

Sleeping Dog it is widely believed that ALL deer are colorblind. Whether that is actually true or not, I don't know. But I'm not taking any chances.
Old October 3, 2006, 11:02 PM   #38
Arizona Fusilier

I bought some Realtree (Extra Brown, I think) for Turkey hunting, works well in the Pine forests of Arizona. Not big on Mossy Oak, as I haven't seen such a thing in the Desert Southwest .

Other than that, I'm not big on "civilian" hunting patterns, as I hunt a lot in the desert, and until very recently, none of the hunting outfitters seemed to cater to our needs.

There are some new patterns on the market, Open Terrain, Open Country, Prairie Ghost, and others, that show promise.

Other than that, my Rhodesian camo is still one of the best things going around these parts.
Old October 4, 2006, 12:53 AM   #39
bclark1

i think realtree is more versatile, even though i own more mossy oak. i think break-up is a great spring turkey pattern, but too dark for other times of year when you don't have a lot of dense foliage (and consequently shadows).
Old October 4, 2006, 12:59 AM   #40
bclark1

FYI, the camo "study"
http://whitetail.com/camo1.html
Old October 4, 2006, 01:29 AM   #41
Twycross

Of the two, the Realtree patterns fit my environment better. But neither is as good as Cabelas 3D Seclusion Open Country That and Carhartt brown.
Old October 4, 2006, 11:13 AM   #42
davlandrum

Most of the name brand patterns are just too dark. We bow hunt in western Oregon, where it is pretty dark, damp and thick - and they still look like a black blob when you get out to 50 yards. I like the ASAT cammo (not even sure if it is still made) or the "outfitter" pattern at Cabelas. I just wish that pattern was availabe in more light weight clothes.