The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 2, 2012, 07:14 PM   #1
Hardcase

Fun day!

I've been so doggone busy lately, that I haven't been shooting for a few weeks. Today, I finally got a chance to spend about four hours at the range. What a fun day.

There were only two little hiccups. The first was that the old Colt Lightning will hold 9 .38-40s in the tube. The only problem is that it's capacity is 8. Number nine takes up its place under the cartridge lifter, completely locking up the action. I became intimately familiar with the magazine system for the rifle, including the discovery that the plug in the end will fly every bit as far as a Winchester's. Thankfully, it went straight up and almost just as straight down. So note to self: Don't load until the last one doesn't fit.

The other problem?

Don't put the empties back in the range bag. It wasn't a total loss - I had about 30 11's that fit if I squished 'em.

And I managed to get home way before my wife, so I got to sit in the air conditioned living room to clean the rifle.

It was hot outside!

Last edited by Hardcase; June 2, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old June 2, 2012, 07:21 PM   #2
OutlawJoseyWales

Looks like you were ready for an entire band of Comancheros there, nice looking arsenal. But if you are gonna' hold 'em off for long, you'd better bring some more caps.
Old June 2, 2012, 07:32 PM   #3
Hawg

Clip a few coils out of the mag spring. I thought it held 10. If you don't know, you can leave a fired case in the chamber when you clean the bore and you won't push all the crud into the action. Don't try it with a .45 Colt tho.
Old June 2, 2012, 09:15 PM   #4
Hardcase

I thought it held 10, too. I usually just load five - I'm in the habit from silhouette shooting. Anyway, now I know how to clear a round from under the lifter, so some good came of the experience.

I hadn't thought about leaving a spent round in the chamber - that's a great idea!

And I stopped by Cabelas on the way home and grabbed several tins of #10 CCI caps.
Old June 2, 2012, 10:14 PM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
I hadn't thought about leaving a spent round in the chamber - that's a great idea!
I learned that with my 44-40. The thin case neck expands to virtually seal off the chamber so no blow by gets in the action and it stays sealed. A straight walled .45 Colt wont seal it off.
Old June 3, 2012, 12:06 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Sounds like a lot of fun. I went to Bent's Fort in La Junta where they have a fur trade reenactment this weekend.
Old June 3, 2012, 01:51 PM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
Sounds like a lot of fun. I went to Bent's Fort in La Junta where they have a fur trade reenactment this weekend.
WHAT? No pics?