The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2008, 09:38 PM   #1
roc1

Reaming Military Brass Primer Pockets

What do anyone of you think is the best and fastest way to ream military primer pockets.Mostly 223 brass.I have a lot of it and am thinking about loading this caliber.I did load one box already with a set of dies I got in a lot of equipment I bought .I know from experience that reaming primer pockets can be a chore.I have heard the Dillon is ok but was wondering if there is a better and faster method?I might be better off just getting good new brass for my AR.I would like a few thoughts.
Thanks
roc1
Old September 8, 2008, 10:05 PM   #2
Sport45

Anymore, I chuck the cutter from my Hornady primer pocket reamer in a drill that's clamped in my bench vise. I set the drill at 100 or so rpm and can ream .223 pockets about as fast as I can pick them up and drop them in a bucket.

Old September 8, 2008, 11:33 PM   #3
Stagger Lee

RCBS makes a swager that fits a single-stage press and works great on .223 and other cases. Cost: $20-$30 or so.
Old September 9, 2008, 06:30 AM   #4
roc1

How is the case held without crushing it?Is the RCBS a hand held unit?
Thanks
roc1
Old September 9, 2008, 06:34 AM   #5
tbtrout

I just use the chamfer tool. Quick twist and the pocket is ready.
Old September 9, 2008, 06:50 AM   #6
UGH

Go with the Dillon super swager. Check out the link below. It is what I use. It is by far the best thing I have found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1VQoPDik04
Old September 9, 2008, 08:43 AM   #7
wogpotter

I vote for the Dillon as well.
More expensive, you bet, best by far, & easiest/fastest to use.
YEP.
Old September 9, 2008, 11:00 AM   #8
Scorch

I just use my case chamfering tool. One quick twist and away we go!
Old September 9, 2008, 11:47 AM   #9
AlaskaMike

I've got blisters from using my Lee chamfering tool to remove primer crimps, and I've got a ton of military .30-06 brass I still need to process. I decided to get the RCBS primer pocket swaging combo, and am pretty happy with it. It's much cheaper than the Dillon, and it doesn't give me blisters. Sport45's method looks pretty slick though.

Mike
Old September 9, 2008, 10:59 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

The RCBS camfer/deburring tool is my choice. It won't uniform the pocket for insanely-tight crimp jobs, but I throw those cases away anyway. If the case was crimped hard enough to deform the primer pocket; it was crimped hard enough to deform other parts of the case head. ... scrab bucket ...

For the typical crimp, I just give it a few twists of the camfer end of the tool. Good to go.
Old September 11, 2008, 07:39 PM   #11
totalloser

I really don't care for reaming, as it takes material off and loosens the pocket where the end of the primer sits. I got the RCBS unit and was sort of disappointed at first as it is a little clumsy to use 'till you figure it out. It leaves the pocket just slightly tight for long case life and reliability, but on cases that don't need a crimp (most 5.56 do not) it will appear to do nothing.

The trick to get speed out of the RCBS is to feed the case up into the die THEN pull on the handle. It has an insert that goes into the press where the shell holder goes, and a cap that goes over it. A die goes into the head of the press. A shaft goes into the shell to push the case head down on the swager, and then when you pull it down, the cap pops the shell off the nipple on the swager. Once I figured it out, I think it may be almost as quick or maybe just as quick as the Dillon. But I do think the Dillon swager is slightly superior. Actually I think the RCBS may be quicker as you eliminate the step of flipping the shell into position. Dunno, though.

The really goofy thing I have seen with reaming is the commercial reloads that when you fire them, the primer flows out into the ream and gets so large it looks like someone used large rifle primers. Freaks me out, personally.
Old September 11, 2008, 09:36 PM   #12
crowbeaner

Aw gee, totalloser; you gave out the secret. I just swaged 1050 223 cases with the RCBS unit because the low life theives stole my Dillon. It's easy once you get the hang of it. I take the Lyman crimp remover and give it a twist or two as I prime them. Good for the life of the case. Some foreign military ammo has a real tight primer crimp, and it takes some cussing to get the reamer to turn, but it usually gets it done. I prefer to uniform the flash holes before swaging to make sure the cases all get the same swage amount; I did this with the Dillon also.
Old September 16, 2008, 08:50 PM   #13
totalloser

Dang I guess my attempt at humor fell flat. But since you had both, and liked the Dillon more, let me ask; Since you HAVE the RCBS, would you consider buying the Dillon again? Is it that much better/faster?
Old September 16, 2008, 09:15 PM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

The Dillon is good, and I own one. Very fast. If you are shooting general purpose ammo, swaging is the way to go. Also fine for military pistol brass. If you are shooting benchrest or working on long range slow fire loads, though, I am less sanguine about the process. The problem is that the excess brass in the primer pocket has to go somewhere. It gets pushed out sideways turning the primer pocket into a kind of low wall crater. Take a swaged case and draw the head lightly over some sandpaper and you will see it is going to touchdown on the bolt face immediately around the primer but not out at the periphery of the head. Now, once you've fired it, it fireforms back flat again. That can even push a bit of brass back where it was, so don't be surprised if you have to put some of the cases through the swager twice before it settles down. By the time the second swage is fireformed flat, you've reloaded it least twice before the casehead offers even purchase on the boltface. That cuts into your case accuracy life a bit. So, I still use my Wilson to profile ream the primer pockets of brass that is for 300 yards and out.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 16, 2008, 09:30 PM   #15
crowbeaner

Yup. I'd buy another Dillon if I had a bunch of brass to do; it's faster and easier. The RCBS unit will do the job OK, but the Dillon puts just a bit of radius on the edge of the pocket so the next primer goes in easier. If you use the RCBS unit, you'll still have to give the pocket a radius; this is where the Lyman reamer comes in. A twist or 3 and you're good to go. It sure slowed me down, but I consider reloading a labor of love (I LOVE reloading). Problem is the rock is hard to come by with the wife doing the economics.