The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2000, 10:03 AM   #1
Count Glockula

Any one have a OAL for Remington 9mm 115g FMJ? I have a Speer manual and it suggests 1.135" for their bullet. I just wanted to know if Speer and Remington bullets are close enough that I can use this length. It seems a little short to me. I looked at some S&B ammo and their measured their OAL and it
was 1.155. As you may have guessed this is my first time loading 9mm. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
Old March 30, 2000, 01:58 PM   #2
bergie

Checking the LoadMAP book from Midway, they give the cartridge overall length with the Rem. 115 grain fmj as being 1.150. Handy book, has loads for 17 different 115 grain bullets using 10 different powders for each bullet, plus the same type of info for everything from 88grain jhp to 147 grain. All total 57 different bullets and 19 different powders.
What powder are you going to use?

bergie
Old March 30, 2000, 03:38 PM   #3
Count Glockula

I was going to use Unique, for starters. Do you have a good load for the 9mm?

Thanks
Old March 30, 2000, 04:35 PM   #4
char923

Unique does not burn real clean. I use VihtaVuori powder N350 in my 9x23. It burn real clean for me. You can find powder that burn cleaner, dont get me wrong, Unique is a good powder I still use it in 38 and 357 loads.
Old March 30, 2000, 08:07 PM   #5
tonyz

I have found that bullseye is a good all around powder. Burns fairly clean and make's good 9MM loads.I use it for 380Cal up to 45.

Tony Z

------------------
www.vote.com
Old April 1, 2000, 11:18 AM   #6
bergie

Hey Count,
Unique is what I used when I first started loading 9mm because I had some on hand from shotshell loading. The data for loads with Unique varies quite a bit depending on whose manual you are looking at. In general, most of the loads shown in the MAP books are lighter than those put out by others, but they claim that their max loads are the Maximum Average Pressure allowed by ANSI/SAAMI specs according to their testing. They start light and work up by 1/10 grain increments giving psi and fps for each load.
The Midway LoadMAP shows a starting load of 4.4 grains with the Rem 115 fmj up to a max load of 5.4, which they say is a compressed load.
The Nosler manual shows loads for their 115 grain bullets as being from 5.1 grains up to a max of 6.1.
The Lee manual data for 115 grain jacketed bullets over Unique starts at 5.8 and is max at 6.1.
I used 5.1 grains of Unique to push various 115 grain bullets and it worked pretty good. Recoil was light and I could have set a bucket out to catch all of my brass. No, Unique is not the cleanest burning powder for the 9, but I have shot some of the cheaper factory ammo that was dirtier.
I am currently using Titegroup for most of my 9mm loading. I picked it up from a vendor at a gunshow for about $5 less a pound than most powder available locally. It burns cleaner, meters nicely, and at the price I paid, I should have bought a lot more.
HTH
bergie