The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 25, 2002, 10:18 PM   #1
redneck

Anyone familiar with Remington's 121 fieldmaster?

I have an old 121 thats been doing alot of pest control duty lately. Birdshot for sparrows in the barn, various LR rounds for raccoons, fox etc.
Its not feeding shells right anymore. I always cleaned the bore before switching from birdshot to regular shells, but haven't taken the action down. I think the action is now too fouled up to work properly , since I had to clean the gun from the muzzle so many times. I always kept the action opened downward to keep it from catching all the lead and powder fouling, and its well oiled. But the lifter ( sorry, I don't know the exact names) isn't lifting the shells high enough, they occasianally hit the bottem edge of the chamber going in. The same mechanism lifts the shell from the magazine/tube and into the chamber, and ejects the caseing. The firing pin is enclosed inside it. It still flips the empties really well, but won't feed for a damn.

Does anyone know where I can get the layout for stripping the action and cleaning it? Or could anyone descibe the process? I would have taken it down already, but I'd like an idea what I'm getting into before taking it apart. I'm well versed in the art of taking things apart and putting them back together repeatedly until they work, but this seems like something where ALL of the peices have to go back in

As a long term solution, I plan on using this as an excuse to buy another rifle. This one is in good shape, but shoots really high, and its old enough I'd like to clean it up and put it up to keep it nice.
Old July 26, 2002, 07:37 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Redneck, you could very well be right about the cause of the problem. Pumps and autos both need to be kept clean to function properly. I have the instructions for the 121. If you'll e-mail me to remind me I'll be happy to scan and send them to you. George
Old July 28, 2002, 11:09 AM   #3
redneck

I stripped it down and scrubbed everything with rem-oil and a toothbrush. It was all gummed up inside. It cycles smooth as glass now and feeds shells without any trouble.
Since I had it all apart, I rubbed a coat of Watco's Danish oil on the stock and fore end, and polished up the action, barrel and magazine some. It looks great now.
It was surprisingly simple to take down with the instructions. Thanks again.