The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 22, 2015, 03:15 PM   #1
Fordmike

Bushmaster BAR-10

Anyone out there own a Bushmaster BAR-10 of the early production? I have one with the broken bolt issue...(due to failure to harden the thin bolts properly, the tail of the bolt broke off during normal use - SEE PHOTO). I have been dealing with Bushmaster to try and get a resolve. At first I read that the early design was from Rock River...and that they've taken it back, and now market it as their LAR-8. The frustrating thing is that Bushy initially ignored my email, then after a phone call, sent me the replacement bolt free of charge. During all of the conversations (phone and email) I included the SN of the rifle. Upon receiving the replacement part it didn't fit. The original bolt carrier is set up to accept a bolt with a 0.0250" tail, and the replacement part has a 0.0310" tail. When I called Bushy again, they said "oh, you must have the old style"...well duh, wouldn't the SN tell you that...and they said I should call Armalite for the parts. Wondering if anyone has been down this road, or has any direction to go with this, other than getting scrap prices for the steel and aluminum or parts it out?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brokebolt.jpg (60.0 KB, 47 views)
Old April 23, 2015, 02:31 AM   #2
PlumberCharlie

New..and dont know much..

could a good gunsmith help?
Old April 23, 2015, 03:12 PM   #3
Fordmike

I don't think so, it's a simple math problem...one part is too big for the other.

Tags
broken bolt , bushmaster , bushmaster bar